Testing David Vizard’s Oil Extreme

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

540 RAT
Expert
Expert

Testing David Vizard’s Oil Extreme

Post by 540 RAT »

I’ve been skeptical of Automotive Celebrity types endorsing and promoting motor oil products, ever since NHRA’s #1 all time Drag Racer “Big Daddy” Don Garlits started hyping ZDDPlus zinc additive. People can do whatever they want with their reputation and credibility. But, since I’ve always been a fan of Big Daddy, personally, I felt bad for him after he signed on with that product.

I’m sure those ZDDPlus folks are good people who mean well, but they simply DO NOT understand what it takes to improve an oil’s wear protection capability, and/or they never do any testing. Because when I tested that product in 3 different low zinc oils to find out what the oil’s new capability would be, it had ruined all 3 oils. It did this by not only NOT improving each oil’s wear protection capability, but it made them significantly WORSE than they were before the additive was put in. And for any sensible person, that would be a textbook example of pure snake oil. And this is consistent with most major Oil Companies saying to never ever add anything to their oil, because it will ruin the carefully balanced additive package they designed into it.

And ZDDPlus is not the only additive that causes total failure. Edelbrock’s Zinc Additive did the exact same thing with 3 other low zinc oils. Throwing extra zinc in a motor oil CANNOT improve its wear protection capability. Extra zinc provides LONGER wear protection, because more zinc takes longer to be depleted as it is sacrificed while helping to protect parts under heavy load. But, it is impossible for extra zinc to provide more wear protection. Because the fact is, zinc simply doesn’t work that way. It’s like how having more gas in your tank, will take longer to run out. But, having more gas in your tank will NOT make more HP.

When I saw that Tech Author David Vizard was endorsing and promoting a little known oil called “Oil Extreme”, I couldn’t help but wonder if he was doing the same thing Big Daddy had done. But, since this product’s claim to fame was NOT simply throwing zinc at it, which Vizard calls outdated technology, I thought it might be worth getting some to test.

So, I got a quart of 5W30 Oil Extreme, API SM motor oil for $10.45, and a 6 ounce bottle of their Oil Extreme Concentrate additive for $17.95, plus tax and shipping, directly from the Company. Here is their website:

http://www.oilextreme.com/

I subjected the Oil Extreme products to the exact same “dynamic wear testing under load” procedure that I subject every oil to in my testing, in order to find the “specific limit” of each oil’s wear protection capability. That is the only way you can accurately compare various oils directly to each other.

Most Forum members are technically sharp enough to understand the value of dynamic motor oil wear testing under load, because it is the same concept as testing an engine under load on a dyno. And many of those folks have asked me to continue posting my motor oil test data, so below you will find more.

But, there are always a few folks who are not sharp enough to grasp this straight forward and obvious approach. And all they want to do is make nasty negative comments, with no hard factual test data to back up anything they say. They add nothing to the discussion, and only embarrass themselves by pointing out how weak they are technically. It is their loss, since they are too stuck in their ways to actually learn something.

Here are the results of my “Wear Testing” and the results from “Lab Testing” for component quantities at Professional Lab, “ALS Tribology” in Sparks, Nevada:

5W30 Oil Extreme motor oil, API SM conventional = 110,286 psi, so this motor oil ended up ranking “2nd” out of the 96 oils I’ve wear tested so far.

The Company claims this oil contains their proprietary formula of calcium petroleum sulfontate EP (Extreme Pressure) technology that is NOT found in any other motor oil. They also claim that it will provide 5 to 7 more HP, 7 to 10% better fuel mileage, cut engine wear in half, and will extend drain intervals two or three times safely.

This oil is endorsed and promoted by Tech Author David Vizard. And he was so impressed by this oil's performance that he also became a share holder in the Company. The results from the "Dynamic Wear Testing Under Load" performed here, supports their claim regarding wear protection. So, their hype about that, turned out to be absolutely true. And since this oil beat every high zinc oil I’ve ever tested, it also proved another one of their claims, that using zinc as the primary anti-wear component, is outdated technology.

Here is the oil’s Lab Report info:

(lab tested 2013)

Silicon = 6 ppm (anti-foaming agent in new oil, but in used oil, certain gasket materials and dirt can also add to this number)
Boron = 87 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
Magnesium = 52 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
Calcium = 7,652 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge, and at high levels as part of calcium petroleum sulfontate, can also increase an oil’s anti-wear capabilities)
Barium = 0 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
Zinc = 765 ppm (anti-wear)
Phos = 624 ppm (anti-wear)
Moly = 52 ppm (anti-wear)
Potassium = 4 ppm (anti-freeze corrosion inhibitor)
Sodium = 505 ppm (anti-freeze corrosion inhibitor)
TBN = 23.2 (Total Base Number) This is an acid neutralizer to prevent corrosion. Most gasoline engine motor oils start with TBN around 8 or 9. This becomes depleted over time as mileage accumulates. And it is not unusual for this value to drop by about 5.0 points per 5,000 miles.
Viscosity (cSt at 100*C) = 10.1 (cSt range for SAE 30 is 9.3 to 12.4) And cSt (centistokes) in general terms, represents an oil’s thickness

“Oil Extreme concentrate” added to 5W30 Pennzoil, API SN conventional, yellow bottle = 100,252 psi, so the concentrate additive mixed in (using the exact 1.5 ounces of concentrate per quart of oil that they call for) with this ordinary Pennzoil, ended up ranking “10th” out of the 96 oils I’ve wear tested so far.

This oil on its own WITHOUT the "Oil Extreme concentrate" added to it, has a wear protection capability of only 76,989 psi, and is ranked 53rd. But, with the concentrate added, its wear protection capability “IMPROVED A WHOPPING 30.2%". This is the “ONLY” additive I've ever tested that actually worked as advertised and made an oil better. Obviously with this Oil Extreme concentrate being calcium petroleum sulfontate based, it is an exception and does not ruin an oils original additive package, the way high zinc based additives do. The high zinc based additives I have tested, have been pure snake oil in every case. When I get the time, I will test this Oil Extreme concentrate in other oils to see if it consistently performs this well.

Here is the mixture’s Lab Report info:

(lab tested 2013)

Silicon = 6 ppm (anti-foaming agent in new oil, but in used oil, certain gasket materials and dirt can also add to this number)
Boron = 105 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
Magnesium = 29 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
Calcium = 4,443 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge, and at high levels as part of calcium petroleum sulfontate, can also increase an oil’s anti-wear capabilities)
Barium = 0 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
Zinc = 970 ppm (anti-wear)
Phosphorus = 749 ppm (anti-wear), this value is 91 ppm “LESS” than the original basic oil, because the concentrate additive had less phosphorus in it, which diluted the ppm (parts per million) count.
Moly = 285 ppm (anti-wear)
Potassium = 4 ppm (anti-freeze corrosion inhibitor)
Sodium = 267 ppm (anti-freeze corrosion inhibitor)
TBN = 18.8 (Total Base Number) This is an acid neutralizer to prevent corrosion. Most gasoline engine motor oils start with TBN around 8 or 9. This becomes depleted over time as mileage accumulates. And it is not unusual for this value to drop by about 5.0 points per 5,000 miles.
Viscosity (cSt at 100*C) = 10.5 (cSt range for SAE 30 is 9.3 to 12.4) And cSt (centistokes) in general terms, represents an oil’s thickness
stokerboats
Pro
Pro
Re: Testing David Vizard’s Oil Extreme

Post by stokerboats »

I'm curious to see what it does when mixed with your #1 ranked Penzoil Ultra or perhaps with my RP store stocked 10w30.
toolmakeron
Pro
Pro

Post by toolmakeron »

Can you please tell us why #3 - 10W30 Lucas (on your list) oil is not good for street use. Thanks.I have to say, this testing that you have done is really impressive.Keep up the good work, it's appreciated. Can you please give me a tip on how to make your testing report, "printer friendly"? Thanks Again
Custombalancing.com
We Make Honey Out of Dogshit*
* some conditions apply.
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

I was at David's seminar when they poured part 3 of the three part break-in treatment into an already broken in engine and saw it pick up 6 or 8 hp. It didn't go into some sloppy engine that would favor the test, either. It was a purpose-built dirt-track engine loaded with the good stuff.

Shawn
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

:lol:
SonnyJames

Post by SonnyJames »

Thanks again 540 Rat!!!!!
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

toolmakeron wrote:Can you please tell us why #3 - 10W30 Lucas (on your list) oil is not good for street use. Thanks.I have to say, this testing that you have done is really impressive.Keep up the good work, it's appreciated. Can you please give me a tip on how to make your testing report, "printer friendly"? Thanks Again
Perhaps 540Rat will explain better, or correct me, but I believe the oils that are "not street legal" have additives that are bad for catalytic convertors.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

RAT have you thought more about mule testing these oils you claim work well?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Ability to withstand high pressure is only ONE aspect of what is needed for superior "wear protection" of a motor oil.

Judging the wear protection of any oil simply using that ONE aspect, although an important aspect, is not real life.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Looks like Moly is a big part of the additive. Hmm, slippery stuff there...
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

toolmakeron wrote:Can you please tell us why #3 - 10W30 Lucas (on your list) oil is not good for street use. Thanks.I have to say, this testing that you have done is really impressive.Keep up the good work, it's appreciated. Can you please give me a tip on how to make your testing report, "printer friendly"? Thanks Again
I bet it lacks detergents found in oils designed to be happy for over 3,000 miles.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

540rat, will this oil be run 5,000 miles and tested again any time soon?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

He would say he wouldn't have endorsed it without testing it first to see if it works, he has a very extensive snake oil test that he does with engines on the dyno...most don't pass!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

289nate wrote:540rat, will this oil be run 5,000 miles and tested again any time soon?
Don't confuse Oil Extreme with the snake oil chlorinated parrifins that also have extreme pressure capability BUT turn the oil acidic and lower their TBN. This test is no surprise to me at all as I've tested it in several vehicles including a Pro Mod car I sponsored, and with a TBN of 18 it lasts longer than normal oil. In Pro Mod it was the ONLY change we made that took us from breaking sh!t or having to replace something every race day to running the ENTIRE SEASON with NO parts replaced (except 1 pushrod because the engine chief forgot to pre-lube that one and it blued the end)! At 6 second passes at over 200mph in a 3000lb car that kind of reliability back then was pretty good.

Whatever people think about the hype, this is the real deal for wear prevention.
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

Thank you for testing this 540RAT. I was going to put you in contact with George French (founder and CEO of Oil EXtreme) to do this very test but you disappeared, so I left you alone :lol:

Here is what George replied, and I'll link him into this thread if he wants to join in:

"Of course I would be glad if some testing guru would test it.

I don't think we have ever done any testing for total film strength. I suggest he use 2 ounces Per quart of oil.

One thing to remember though is, it's not necessarily how high the film strength is, but how long does it hold up.

There is also the matter of friction. The higher the film strength the less horsepower produced. That's why NASCAR teams qualify on 0W/20 oil, but run a higher viscosity during the race.

Joe Nemechek, qualifies with 5W/30 with our Concentrate, and just leaves the same oil in for the race. They also tell me that we have saved them hundreds of thousands of dollars in engines.

Most teams change engines every race, but Joe runs his engines 5 or 6 races without changing engines. He just takes off the head between races and changes the valve springs, and buttons it back up. The never touch the bearings or the rings. There is no need to with Oil Extreme Concentrate.

If you go to my home page and look on the left hand side towards the top, there is a red button
under the heading "Ari Luyendek sets fast qualifying time at Indy 500 using Oil Extreme"

If you click the button you will read all about it, and there are video bits from the race showing just how fast he was. It is quite impressive.

If I can add anything to the discussion group I'm more than happy to do so. I also suggest people read the technical paper on the website under Oil Extreme Technology.

However the zinc in ZDDP is such a mild extreme pressure agent compared to our real extreme pressure agent that your flat Tappet guys would be amazed.