Less overlap more vacuum?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

3window
Less overlap more vacuum?

Post by 3window »

Question for the engine gurus. Would a cam with less overlap but a NARROWER lsa create more vacuum? I'm going from a cam with a lsa of 110 and 30 degrees of overlap to a cam with an lsa of 108 but less overlap. Let me know what you guys think.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Re: Less overlap more vacuum?

Post by DaveMcLain »

Yes but in order to do that you would have to lose duration and that could also reduce horsepower.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

I am no guru, but just to put myself in target position by opening my mouth, and get put in place by gurus, I will participate by answering... :lol:

In general, if you had less overlap of a given duration, (lets label this as mild cam A) and you had the same duration on a tighter lsa giving it more overlap ( labled mild cam b), Cam A with all other variables the same theoretically should have more vacuum...

Now we take your words "cam narrower lsa" and "less overlap" with comparison to Cam a and b, and call this cam C...
Cam C will most likely have in the same engine WITH the same lobe profile ramps...
Smaller duration,
Earlier intake closing,
less lift,
later exhaust opening...

lets say an HT 383 crate tow engine (tiny cam) 196/207@.050 on 112 lsa was changed to 108... I don't think vacuum would drop in such a case, but you could develop enough overlap to create enough of a problem (doubtful).....
take a 235@.05 and move it around from 108lsa to 114 on the same engine, it may mean the difference to running power brakes or not
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
3window

Post by 3window »

Yes, we're talking about 20 degrees less duration at .050 and on the seat. Severely over cammed on my part. Picking up a little lift on the intake.
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

so you are saying the first cam (cam A) is 250 duration 30 deg. overlap 110 lsa, I am assuming @.050 because it is causing you vacuum problems and cam "B" you are contemplating is 230 duration , 108 lsa. 14 deg. overlap @ .050? are these solid or hydraulic? what engine is it in? that's the real question. this is a wide question but IDLE vacuum should increase with less overlap. the actual vacuum you see is influenced by many factors, one of the biggest of which is the engines displacement. let me know if i'm in the ballpark, then we can all look more closely at your setup. :D thanks, Jason
3window

Post by 3window »

BigBro74 you hit it on the head. The cam I have now isn't causing vacuum problems but the new can I'm contemplating has less overlap AND a tighter lsa. It's a sbc 355.
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

But what compression /heads/intended use? is it a street car or vacuum rule oval track ? are these grinds hydraulics or solids? if hydraulics then 250 @ .050 is BIG. if solid, not so much..... because of lash, and vice versa on cam "B". a 230@ .050 solid is teeny duration after lash- but still pretty noteworthy if hydraulic. J
3window

Post by 3window »

It's a 9.5:1 sbc with Brodix ik200 heads. It's in a 2300 lb street rod and a hydraulic roller. The cam in the engine now is too big as it was original bought for a bigger engine. Trying to move the power where it needs to be.
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

I don't know what rpm you're looking to turn but 224 @ .050 on a 108 is probably already a little on the big side at 9.5:1. I'm sure it would pick up gobs of torque over what's currently in there, though. My two cents :)

Shawn
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
3window

Post by 3window »

The cam in the engine now is 248 @ .050. WAY too big. It's on a 110lsa. The engine is fuel injected and runs pretty good now. I know EFI tends to make people think you need to widen the lsa, but right now with the 110 and 30 degrees overlap, the engine runs pretty strong. The new cam will have less overlap even at 108 should make more vacuum.
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

I agree 100% I think it will definitely be a worth-while change.

Shawn
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
3window

Post by 3window »

Has anyone run into ptv problems running .560 lift at 226 @.050 on a 108? Right now I'm at .540 lift with 248 @ .050 on a 110 and I'm good. This is on the intake. I know valve timing events have everything to do with it. Just trying to get an idea. Thanks.
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

My last 383 had a 9 inch deck, .038 head gasket and a solid roller that was .600 lift, 242 @ .050 on a 106. My cam hit the rods long before the valves hit the pistons :D

In my case, no clearance needed.

Shawn
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass

Post by justahoby »

BigBro74 wrote:so you are saying the first cam (cam A) is 250 duration 30 deg. overlap 110 lsa, I am assuming @.050 because it is causing you vacuum problems and cam "B" you are contemplating is 230 duration , 108 lsa. 14 deg. overlap @ .050? are these solid or hydraulic? what engine is it in? that's the real question. this is a wide question but IDLE vacuum should increase with less overlap. the actual vacuum you see is influenced by many factors, one of the biggest of which is the engines displacement. let me know if i'm in the ballpark, then we can all look more closely at your setup. :D thanks, Jason
Wrong, cam A and B were said mild cams in the same engine.. same duration different overlaps.

The examples I gave later were of a different view( hence not within the same paragraph for those who obviously seem to write to everyone in the same paragraph), not related to cam a and b.: different durations instead.

If I was to increase duration, on the same LSA overlap WILL increase.

And yes, we refer to vacuum 99% of the time at Idle...

I could be wrong but 230@ .050 and lets say for shits 280 at the seat at 108 lsa would no way I hell be 14 degrees overlap
Often overlap is not even really considered at 0.050., but in total crank degrees... (lsa is in cam degrees)

but whatever dude,

point was at a tiny duration cam moving lobe separation wouldn't change a ding dong of vacuum at idle with a cam that has brigs and straton duration vs if you stuff a considerable larger cam overlap would be much more a consideration and fall below certain limits.

And less overlap, with a tighter lobe separation means you most likely will have to have less duration.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass

Post by justahoby »

3window wrote:The cam in the engine now is 248 @ .050. WAY too big. It's on a 110lsa. The engine is fuel injected and runs pretty good now. I know EFI tends to make people think you need to widen the lsa, but right now with the 110 and 30 degrees overlap, the engine runs pretty strong. The new cam will have less overlap even at 108 should make more vacuum.
less duration with less overlap, should have more vacuum, if that's what you want.
In this case I would say overlap would tell you more than not here.
20 degrees less duration already puts these cams apart in a category...
as well as requiring different compression ratios at optimum ect.

30 degrees overlap is not a whole ton either.
I have run 45 with power brakes at 220 @.050 in a 350 cu in chevy,

Now this was not fuel injected, and about 9:1 compression, but was about 16" of vacuum.

Generally( I say this as I speak for only my experience not yours or any others) either cam you stated is not recommended in FACTORY electronic fuel injected as well as the lsa angle , as you stated people said is optimal at 122 ( which you obviously see it alone has little to do with overlap.... ( you didn't state factory EFI or not, or any specs),

but if its a runnin fine at start up and idle with that big cam, and you KNOW you need a smaller cam, try it..