Street Mufflers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Street Mufflers

Post by Orr89rocz »

I ran a 11:1 383 on the street few years back. Very loud, 90 dba idle cold start. Had a 3" collector running into single 4" ypipe into a dynatech split flow which is same thing as xr1 borla, and it was very loud. Great sound but loud

Went to a dynomax ultraflow round, 6" case in its place, and it quieted down well. Still louder than i'd like but worked.

My turbo car now runs dual 3" into magnaflow X then each bank gets 1 bullet midway down and over axle under bumper i have short fat dynomax ultra flow rounds. Muffler open to atmosphere. Car is pretty quiet for almost 800whp. You hear more turbo than anything
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Every muffler I have used that relied on some sort of packing or fiber to help quiet things down has become significantly louder in a very short time.
So much to do, so little time...
greywolf
Expert
Expert

Post by greywolf »

Have to agree with a few here, pretty hard to beat the dynamax ultra flows. When picking up your ET slip it's just like running open headers, but a lot quieter.
When I turned 47 years old, I entered into my 5th decade of drag racing.
nevdos
Pro
Pro

Post by nevdos »

I use 3.5" Borla Xr-1s as well an they have a very nice tone,even at 8200rpm lol
Poeple always comment on how quiet my low-mid 9 sec car is, in the lanes, and the car still isn't very loud going down track compared to some other's i've heard
Good luck
wil8115
Pro
Pro

Post by wil8115 »

+2 on the Borla XR1. but for a street car I would probably add a "resonator" in front of the borla. drop the db's a bit more for street use.
norm

Post by norm »

I went from hooker aero chambers to dynatechs. The dynatechs are substantially louder. Then put some round XR1'S on and I am very happy with them. Quieter than the hookers but have a nice deep sound. Only changes were the mufflers. Rest of the exhaust was the same 3.5" mandrel bent.
prostreetL-78
Pro
Pro

Post by prostreetL-78 »

I have 3-1/2" Xpipe oval tube with spintech sportsmans on it and oval tailpipes. With 770 hp, it runs the same times with or without the exhaust. I will find out how well it works with another 500 hp soon.
Galatians 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

900HP wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 pm I really want to try one of these set-ups on something. Probably not the quietest but wicked cool in execution. 8)

http://www.ramairrestoration.com/chevy/ ... -over.html
If not mistaken, my way long gone Brothers 70-1/2. 340, TA-6 Pak Challenger had a stock system like this on it but without the, "X", crossover.

If I remember right, both sides exited before the rear tires stock??

pdq67
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

73camaroz28 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:31 pm Need recommendation on street mufflers.

73 Camaro
back halved, full tub, full cage.
540, 750hp plus 150 shot at the track.
AFR 315 Heads, vic jr port matched, pro systems hp 1000
2 1/8 headers
turbo 400, 9 inch 4.11
moser spool and axles.

Will be driving on street, any recommendations for mufflers 3inch?
Don't want to run bullets on the street.

Thanks
What’s the sound / noise objective?
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Ladderbar

Post by Ladderbar »

I run a 3 1/2 Borla system exit behind the doors to the side very quite and like running an open exhaust. we ran the ultra flows on the dyno and the worked very well also.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

I am not making the power you are, but on my 489 inch Mustang I run 3 inch Borla ProXS with an H pipe. They feel like they outpower the crappy noisy 3 inch Flowmasters I had on it before by a wide margin, but hard to tell.

On my street driven truck, likely making barely over 1/2 what you are making for power on the juice, I went with a 3 inch X-pipe and Jones Full Boar mufflers, at 500-ish HP they are very quiet and it runs great. They are also cheap compared to the leaders but very nice mufflers

My gut and experience with others say these options, no real order, they are all variants of the same design

- Jones Full Boar
- Borla ProXS or XR1 (ProXS core may not be big enough for you)
- Dynomax UltraFlow
- Hooker Maxflow
- Magnaflow
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

900HP wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 pm I really want to try one of these set-ups on something. Probably not the quietest but wicked cool in execution. 8)

http://www.ramairrestoration.com/chevy/ ... -over.html
I want to say that my Brothers '70.5 340 TA 6-Pak had an exhaust system like this on it stock?

I do remember that it existed in front of the rear tires!

pdq67
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Look at the post date boys, Paul’s dug up another 7 year old thread. Safe to say the O.P. has made a decision by now. :lol:
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

Ya,OP hasn't been on here since 2016
Tg
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

rfoll wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:37 pm Every muffler I have used that relied on some sort of packing or fiber to help quiet things down has become significantly louder in a very short time.
I know they are somewhat heavier, but try steel pack, smooth perforated inner pipe real steel packs.

They won't burn out!!

If you can still buy them?

I think, "https://portermufflers.com/collections/mufflers", are still made this way?

pdq67