42 DCNF's on a Mopar 440

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JACB

Re: 42 DCNF's on a Mopar 440

Post by JACB »

Grant007 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:40 am Hello James :P
Have you not picked the brains of Bruce Bridges?... As I am sure you may know he is the EFI Guru and has an Interceptor, he frequents the Jensen Owners Club Forum where I have seen previous posts from your goodself before, I am sure he will be the perfect person to answer all your questions regarding EFI on a Mopar 440 as he actually sells all the kits and as said has a 440 himself... Give him a try James and post back your findings :wink:
I noticed just now that you are asking him about the fuel tank low level warning light on the JOC forum, that is the Bruce Bridges I am referring to James :wink:
Thank you Grant ... Yes I know Bruce and have been in communication with him over many years ......not personally but via the Jensen forum. If you look at the Jensen forum you will find quite a few posts from me as well. Bruce and I both worked on the Slap Shifter modifications to make it work in the Interceptor, not to mention the GearVendors overdrive. Bruce devised an interring switch to control the overdrive operation and was kind enough to share his system with me. If you go to the Jensen Monday Club you will find other projects I under took such as working out an intermittent wiper system for the Lucas wipers that the Interceptors are fitted with.

Bruce is Mr EFI and sells his own system via his business F & B http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/ but he is interested in six pack efi systems and whilst they are very good it is not what I want. I am not looking for a buy in the box, bolt on system this is my hobby. Bruce is in business so I don’t want to bend his ear if I am not going to buy his product. One of the issues that have come up recently is the new Martin Robby fuel tank that has a different fuel sender unit ..... it doesn’t have a low fuel level capability. Maybe just maybe Bruce has an external device that could work in this situation hence my question.

I would be interested to hear how you have got on with your Offenhauser manifold.

Rgds
Grant007

Post by Grant007 »

JACB wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:39 am Thank you Grant ... Yes I know Bruce and have been in communication with him over many years ......not personally but via the Jensen forum. If you look at the Jensen forum you will find quite a few posts from me as well. Bruce and I both worked on the Slap Shifter modifications to make it work in the Interceptor, not to mention the GearVendors overdrive. Bruce devised an interring switch to control the overdrive operation and was kind enough to share his system with me. If you go to the Jensen Monday Club you will find other projects I under took such as working out an intermittent wiper system for the Lucas wipers that the Interceptors are fitted with.

Bruce is Mr EFI and sells his own system via his business F & B http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/ but he is interested in six pack efi systems and whilst they are very good it is not what I want. I am not looking for a buy in the box, bolt on system this is my hobby. Bruce is in business so I don’t want to bend his ear if I am not going to buy his product. One of the issues that have come up recently is the new Martin Robby fuel tank that has a different fuel sender unit ..... it doesn’t have a low fuel level capability. Maybe just maybe Bruce has an external device that could work in this situation hence my question.

I would be interested to hear how you have got on with your Offenhauser manifold.

Rgds
Hi again James :P
I got side tracked with other Mods and have'nt actually got back to fitting the beautiful Offy Mani that Harry designed for me, but I do know that for an Interceptor/Mopar the Offy are so low infact I believe the lowest available and that they are best for all the low down torque that we need in a Interceptor,.. A good friend of mine that has had many 440 Interceptors in the past swore they were they best Mani out there for this "Low Down" torque reason, but, obviously that was using carbs and not EFI, so for that reason I don't know how to help you James :(
Yes I have seen post's from your goodself on the JOC Forum before because I noticed your convertible and we have one the same in a copper colour very similar to your's too :wink:
P.S.. I know Philip Barker too for my Sins!! :lol:
JACB

Post by JACB »

Grant007 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:17 am Hi again James :P
I got side tracked with other Mods and have'nt actually got back to fitting the beautiful Offy Mani that Harry designed for me, but I do know that for an Interceptor/Mopar the Offy are so low infact I believe the lowest available and that they are best for all the low down torque that we need in a Interceptor,.. A good friend of mine that has had many 440 Interceptors in the past swore they were they best Mani out there for this "Low Down" torque reason, but, obviously that was using carbs and not EFI, so for that reason I don't know how to help you James :(
Yes I have seen post's from your goodself on the JOC Forum before because I noticed your convertible and we have one the same in a copper colour very similar to your's too :wink:
P.S.. I know Philip Barker too for my Sins!! :lol:
Hi Grant

Sounds like the Offenhauser 360 manifold will be a good choice if I follow the “wouldn’t it be nice - kid in a sweet shop” route over the practical, single throttle body option.

Re dual quad manifold with carburettors... when last I saw Dave Barnett he had a Dual Quad setup waiting to be installed. Can’t remember which carb’s he had?

I spoke with Dave Vizard years ago about IR manifolds on the 440 using Webber’s, his concern was about getting large enough chokes to supply the engine at WOT. Then there is the induction roar which I believe is quite noticeable. (Music to somej Daniel Brunner (another Jensen Owner who lives in AU) ran this setup for some time. Really would like to hear how you get on with your setup when fitted.

Interesting that you call the OEM Jensen colour, know as Saturn Gold, Copper. Many people have tried to mix the original colour (Ault & Wiborg ACR 31104/M Saturn Gold) in a modern day paint system and the tendency has been that the colour has moved towards copper. I had my car resprayed by Collin Holley in the UK and he tried to avoid this .... but the colour did change in spite of his best efforts. Later I sent a piece of the original colour to the BASF laboratory to match .... If you are interested have a look at this https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24962

Phil lives about 45mins north of here.

Keep us posted with your progress ...
JACB

Post by JACB »

enigma57 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:09 am
Do you think that the Dual Quad Offenhauser manifold would make a good EFI manifold and would you make any changes to it other than adding the fuel rails?
All in all, I believe the 360 degree Offenhauser intake manifold will make an excellent basis for sequential EFI conversion. The only caveat will be fitment of the supplied distributor. Assuming it will interchange (426 hemi to 440 wedge engine), you will need to see how it fits with the Offy intake in place. The photo Edelbrock has for the conversion kit you mention shows what appears to be a distributor having a large diameter cap such as an HEI would have. That being the case, check distributor fitment closely (trial fit them) when you have your Edelbrock kit and Offy intake in hand. Should there be a slight interference, you can always clearance intake and weld in a small piece of aluminum to close it off again.

Harry
Hi Harry

Thank you again for your thoughts. It really is a pleasure to have somebody with you knowledge take the time to help me with my project. I have contacted Edelbrock re the distributors and discussed the fuel rail issue with John Rollins at Wilson Manifolds.

It may be a while ... but I will keep you posted if I fit an Offenhauser 360 Manifold with Dual throttle bodies.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

JACB wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:23 pm
Hi Harry

Thank you again for your thoughts. It really is a pleasure to have somebody with you knowledge take the time to help me with my project. I have contacted Edelbrock re the distributors and discussed the fuel rail issue with John Rollins at Wilson Manifolds.

It may be a while ... but I will keep you posted if I fit an Offenhauser 360 Manifold with Dual throttle bodies.
:D Happy to help, James. If there is anything I may be able to offer by way of experience, I am happy to do so. One question regarding your overdrive unit. You mention an 'interring switch'. I am assuming that to be what we here would term a 'kill switch' that would be used to cut power to the overdrive solenoid when you are running with OD locked out?

I will be running an overdrive transmission in my own car and am always interested in how others approach such adaptions.

Thanks,

Harry
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Geoff2 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:45 am Enigma/Harry.

Very interesting Weber info you have posted. What is the reason for going with larger diam E tubes [ as opposed to smaller diam tubes ]? Thanks.
Hi, Geoff!

I have been working with a friend to optimize his carburettor. He has a 1700cc Saab V4 with a mild fast road cam and one of Jack Lawrence's modified intake manifolds (single carb on single plane plenum type intake). Jack uses Weber 40 and 42 DCNF carbs with his kits and sets them up with F24 emulsion tubes. My friend Mark has tried several DCN series carburettors and I have been helping to sort them out.

Lots of work analyzing air/fuel ratio with O2 meter and various combinations of jetting and emulsion tubes out on the road.

What we have found is that Mark's engine runs best with 29mm chokes and 36mm throttle bores. We have tried 40 and 42 DCNF and finally settled on 36 DCNF and of late have been running a 36 DCNVH variant (unlike the DCNF, these have a power valve).

Regarding choice of emulsion tube...... Initially, we tried various e-tubes having same ID and OD as the F24 (5.0 OD and 3.0 ID). The goal being to find the tube having the right number, placement and dia. of holes.

However, we have since found that we can get air/fuel mix spot on throughout his engine's operating range by running F21 e-tubes in the 36 DCNF and F36 e-tubes with a couple of holes added in the 36 DCNVH carb. F21 are 5.7 OD with 3.5 ID and F36 are 5.9 OD and 3.5 ID. I would like to try F-30 e-tubes in the DCNVH carb, as these are 6.2 OD, 3.5 ID and have same hole number, placement and diameter as the F36 tubes we have drilled additional holes in.

Why the larger dia. e-tubes? I believe it has to do with the lighter, more volatile reformulated gasoline we have here which is diluted with 10% ethanol, as well. The larger OD and ID mean the e-tubes have less volume in the annular space between OD and walls of the wells surrounding them...... And more interiour volume. This seems to work well with the new formulations of motor fuel and once you have the holes where you need them, you are good to go......

Weber e-tube dimensions......

http://www.rx7club.com/attachment.php?a ... 1229440626

http://www.rx7club.com/attachment.php?a ... 1229440626

Best regards,

Harry
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

P.S. >>> Geoff, I wanted to give you a more definitive explanation. Was editing my post to you, but it timed out before I could send it. So I will post it below.......

Why the larger dia. e-tubes? With the lighter, more volatile 10% ethanol reformulated motor fuel we have here now of days...... We were having difficulty finding a balance between our desired air/fuel ratio at lower and higher engine speeds. If we got low and midrange where we wanted it, the mix would lean out on the top end. And vice versa. If we got top end where we wanted it, low and midrange were overly rich. What we needed was for the fuel level in the emulsion tube well surrounding the e-tube to drop faster, exposing more air holes. And by so doing, we could better utilize the drilled holes to emulsify the fuel. Also...... A larger dia. emulsion tube has a leaning effect overall. So with the larger dia. e-tubes, we were able to increase jet size and decrease air corrector size and find the balance we were seeking.

Best regards,

Harry
Grant007

Post by Grant007 »

JACB wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:09 pm Hi Grant

Sounds like the Offenhauser 360 manifold will be a good choice if I follow the “wouldn’t it be nice - kid in a sweet shop” route over the practical, single throttle body option.

Re dual quad manifold with carburettors... when last I saw Dave Barnett he had a Dual Quad setup waiting to be installed. Can’t remember which carb’s he had?

I spoke with Dave Vizard years ago about IR manifolds on the 440 using Webber’s, his concern was about getting large enough chokes to supply the engine at WOT. Then there is the induction roar which I believe is quite noticeable. (Music to somej Daniel Brunner (another Jensen Owner who lives in AU) ran this setup for some time. Really would like to hear how you get on with your setup when fitted.

Interesting that you call the OEM Jensen colour, know as Saturn Gold, Copper. Many people have tried to mix the original colour (Ault & Wiborg ACR 31104/M Saturn Gold) in a modern day paint system and the tendency has been that the colour has moved towards copper. I had my car resprayed by Collin Holley in the UK and he tried to avoid this .... but the colour did change in spite of his best efforts. Later I sent a piece of the original colour to the BASF laboratory to match .... If you are interested have a look at this https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24962

Phil lives about 45mins north of here.

Keep us posted with your progress ...
JamesImage.. I wasn't aware of Dave Barnets dual quad set upImage ,I have only ever spoken to Dave (with regards to induction) about six-pack mechanical's as apposed to vacuum ones. I do see Colin quite often and am due to see him in a couple of weeks time actually, but our convertible isn't the same colour as yours I don't believeImage, I was more saying we had a convertible like yours :wink: , ours is the colour that Mk1 Capris were and I think the same as the Granada in the Sweeney :P .. I think maybe Ford called it Copper? Maybe you will correct me with that?.. Here's pic but as we know know computer screen's don't really give the correct colour but it is here anyway >>>
>>
Convert Pic0001.jpg
>>
I do admire you for going to all the trouble to get the correct original colour for yours though James :wink:
I have seen all the mods that does to his Mk2.. he is a very clever talented person and has some great ideas, but I wasn't aware of his weber induction set up.. do you know anymore detail about it please James?
I hope you manage to get to the bottom of your new EFI set up and all is good.. it's the chase of it all I think we love James Image
With my kind regards... GrantImage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

:D Grant, if you go to the trouble and expense of converting to EFI...... Consider the IR intake for your 400 engine. Jenvey make some very nice individual throttle bodies which replace DCNF carbs and they are quite low in height (lower than actual DCNF carbs) and I would suggest the larger 45mm bore version (large enough for a 440 engine)......

https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-bod ... il-tc40-45

Actually, you could do the same thing with Jenvey's throttle bodies on an IDF intake.

Only with the ultra rare Inglese casting originally intended for small block Chevy...... Mounted on your 400 (or 440) engine, you would truly have a beautiful one off induction setup that would run exceptionally well. The only caveat being...... As with any individual runner intake, you must individually tune each runner (whether running carburettors or individual throttle bodies). That's what we had to do with Dan Miller's EFI setup for 2010 and 2011 EMC effort.

If you elect to do this, I will see if I still have Scott's (DieselGeek's) contact info. He can advise as to engine management computer choice and program an individual cylinder mapping for fuel and ignition for you. As for fitting the prototype DNCF intake to your MOPAR engine, that will involve splitting the intake on a bandsaw, making it 2 individual pieces much as the Aston Martin intake casting. This will allow alignment front to rear with the MOPAR intake runners.

Then you will need to make up some aluminum head plates (adapters/spacers) to go between the intake and heads. These will be much as the plates that allow 383/400 low deck intake to be used on 413/440 raised deck blocks except they will be a bit thicker. Then, with a bit of creative hand fitting, machining and drilling/tapping you will have a 1 of 1 IR type EFI intake for your 400 or 440 engine. Of course, you could do the same thing functionally by utilizing the 'store bought' IDF intake and matching Jenvey IDF throttle bodies. But that wouldn't be as unique as a one off DCNF style intake. \:D/

Just an idea,

Harry
ChargerST

Post by ChargerST »

enigma57 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 pm
If you elect to do this, I will see if I still have Scott's (DieselGeek's) contact info. He can advise as to engine management computer choice and program an individual cylinder mapping for fuel and ignition for you. As for fitting the prototype DNCF intake to your MOPAR engine, that will involve splitting the intake on a bandsaw, making it 2 individual pieces much as the Aston Martin intake casting. This will allow alignment front to rear with the MOPAR intake runners.

Then you will need to make up some aluminum head plates (adapters/spacers) to go between the intake and heads. These will be much as the plates that allow 383/400 low deck intake to be used on 413/440 raised deck blocks except they will be a bit thicker. Then, with a bit of creative hand fitting, machining and drilling/tapping you will have a 1 of 1 IR type EFI intake for your 400 or 440 engine. Of course, you could do the same thing functionally by utilizing the 'store bought' IDF intake and matching Jenvey IDF throttle bodies. But that wouldn't be as unique as a one off DCNF style intake. \:D/

Just an idea,

Harry
Harry,
I had the same idea a few weeks ago: Take this SBC intake manifold, cut it in the center (cylinders 3 and 5 as well as 2 and 4 are not cast together), add thick adapter plates. Should be pretty straight forward as the flange angle is the same between a Mopar 440 and a SBC (55°) and the runner openings have to be enlarged only slightly.
What I'm not sure about is if I should go to the ITB route or add a plenum (basically a large box around the trumpets and have the throttle bodies on the plenum box much like a cross ram)? Tuning should be easier with the plenum style right?
How about resonance charging/pressure waves with ITBs? Does the throttle blade impede with the pressure waves at part throttle? If yes, a plenum intake shouldn't have this problem as I would only add an injector bung to the runners and the trumpets. Disadvantage compared to the ITBs would be a slightly delayed throttle response.
Also the runner opening of this particular manifold is 45mm - a throttle blade would add a further restriction to an already smallish runner (my engine has 505ci).

Grant007

Post by Grant007 »

enigma57 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 pm :D Grant, if you go to the trouble and expense of converting to EFI...... Consider the IR intake for your 400 engine. Jenvey make some very nice individual throttle bodies which replace DCNF carbs and they are quite low in height (lower than actual DCNF carbs) and I would suggest the larger 45mm bore version (large enough for a 440 engine)......

Actually, you could do the same thing with Jenvey's throttle bodies on an IDF intake.

Only with the ultra rare Inglese casting originally intended for small block Chevy...... Mounted on your 400 (or 440) engine, you would truly have a beautiful one off induction setup that would run exceptionally well. The only caveat being...... As with any individual runner intake, you must individually tune each runner (whether running carburettors or individual throttle bodies). That's what we had to do with Dan Miller's EFI setup for 2010 and 2011 EMC effort.

Just an idea,

Harry
Good Morning HarryImage
I can't believe you said this.. only last night while eating my late night meal and reading& answering James's post on here, I clicked on page 1 of this thread and started reading it again, it was when I read the part about 42's just not being big enough for an IR that the penny dropped and thought why not use Jenvy throttle bodies, I had planned to send you an email at some-point and suggest it to you for this 400 mopar we are just doing,.. anyway then got up this morning and looked to see if James had replied with anything and read your post!!.. I suddenly wondered if I had dream't it :shock: .. how strange.. I do feel it would be a tad criminal cutting that Chevy DCNF intake Mani in half though but you so kindly gave me that and it was your plan for me to do that.. so I think that is what I am going to do for the 400 engine with the manual gearbox behind it. The whole thing would be a real lovely set up Harry.. thank you for your thoughts Harry and yes I guess I need to talk to Scott to find what management he used... These things are just so exitingImage.. as always Harry .. Grant :wink:
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Harry.

Thanks for the reply on E tube diam. I was surprised at the suggestion of using a bigger diam E tube with a large engine like a 440. I have all the Weber books, & they recommend smaller diam tubes with alcohol, ie, when greater fuel volume is reqd. A 440, being a big engine, will need 'extra' fuel, hence the surprise at the suggestion of a large E tube diam.
I have made my own IR set ups for 440 Chrys & 455 Pontiac. Both are true IR, & I used 48 IDFs.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Grant007 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:13 am
enigma57 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 pm :D Grant, if you go to the trouble and expense of converting to EFI...... Consider the IR intake for your 400 engine. Jenvey make some very nice individual throttle bodies which replace DCNF carbs and they are quite low in height (lower than actual DCNF carbs) and I would suggest the larger 45mm bore version (large enough for a 440 engine)......

Just an idea,

Harry
Good Morning HarryImage
I can't believe you said this.. only last night while eating my late night meal and reading& answering James's post on here, I clicked on page 1 of this thread and started reading it again, it was when I read the part about 42's just not being big enough for an IR that the penny dropped and thought why not use Jenvy throttle bodies, I had planned to send you an email at some-point and suggest it to you for this 400 mopar we are just doing,.. anyway then got up this morning and looked to see if James had replied with anything and read your post!!.. I suddenly wondered if I had dream't it :shock: .. how strange.. I do feel it would be a tad criminal cutting that Chevy DCNF intake Mani in half though but you so kindly gave me that and it was your plan for me to do that.. so I think that is what I am going to do for the 400 engine with the manual gearbox behind it. The whole thing would be a real lovely set up Harry.. thank you for your thoughts Harry and yes I guess I need to talk to Scott to find what management he used... These things are just so exitingImage.. as always Harry .. Grant :wink:
:D The planets must just now have come into alignment, Grant! It can be done. Just think of the Inglese prototype casting as a diamond and you are riding in the back of a Rolls with hammer and diamond cutter in hand just about to bring the hammer down, hoping there will be no potholes nor bumps in the road as you cut the gem.

Just kidding. This casting must have been destined for use and I can think of no better use for it than sitting like a crown jewel atop your Jensen Interceptor's MOPAR engine. Whether you top it off with a two brace of vintage Weber DCNF carburettors or Jenvey EFI throttle bodies, I am sure that it will run well and look drop dead gorgeous as it does so.

If you intend it for your 400 engine and will be turning the engine at modest RPMs (road car), I am sure a set of 44 DCNF carbs fitted with 38mm chokes will be large enough to do the job. Regarding the conversion to EFI...... It is an expensive proposition compared to running carbs, but whatever you decide to do, I stand ready to assist in any way that I can.

One thing to keep in mind, though...... With an IR intake, you must be able to tune each individual cylinder whether you do it manually as with carburettors or electronically by mapping a separate tune for each cylinder on an engine management computer. So with EFI and ITBs, you will require an individual O2 sensor for each cylinder as well. Which in turn will likely require a set of well built extractors having O2 sensor bungs welded to each primary tube...... Unless you can fit a set of Max Wedge exhaust manifolds such as these to your engine in the Jensen......

...... In which case, you could have O2 bungs welded (or brazed) to this style exhaust manifold and avoid the leaks that so often accompany tube extractor/header installation on road cars.

In either case (carbs or EFI), I look forward to following your progress, my friend. I will see if I can find you Scott's contact info and pass it along. He can guide you regarding which engine management computer and so forth. For a system such as this, I am sure that at some point, he will need to come over and do the hands on programming and mapping whilst your engine is on a dyno. Whether that is an engine dyno or in the car on a rolling road with the necessary readouts to facilitate his mapping of fuel delivery and ignition functions, that is something the two of you will need to work out. I'm just a carb guy. If I have a multi-carb manometer one day that will read all carbs as I balance and sync them, I will be in high cotton. That's about as high tech as I can even begin to imagine. :shock:

Best regards,

Harry
Last edited by enigma57 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Geoff2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:39 am Harry.

Thanks for the reply on E tube diam. I was surprised at the suggestion of using a bigger diam E tube with a large engine like a 440. I have all the Weber books, & they recommend smaller diam tubes with alcohol, ie, when greater fuel volume is reqd. A 440, being a big engine, will need 'extra' fuel, hence the surprise at the suggestion of a large E tube diam.
I have made my own IR set ups for 440 Chrys & 455 Pontiac. Both are true IR, & I used 48 IDFs.
Hi, Geoff!

Great to hear from you! Yes, a smaller dia. emulsion tube will tend to richen the mix, whilst a larger dia. e-tube will tend to lean out the mix. 48 IDFs should run well on those engines. Did you run 40mm or 42mm chokes? What did you redline them to?

Actually, with regard to our choice of emulsion tubes, I wasn't referring to an IR setup. Should have been more clear about the context. I was referring to running a single DCNF carb on a 1700cc V-4 Saab engine having a single plane plenum type intake. The DCNF being designed for use on an IR intake, we have had to do quite a bit of reconfiguring to get it to run as we want. This is on my friend Mark's car, used primarily as a road car with several rally events throughout the year. We have now got a good tune on the Saab with DCNF and are working with a DCNVH carb (unlike the DCNF, this carb has a power valve).

Best regards,

Harry
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

ChargerST wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:36 am
enigma57 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Just an idea,

Harry
Harry,
I had the same idea a few weeks ago: Take this SBC intake manifold, cut it in the center (cylinders 3 and 5 as well as 2 and 4 are not cast together), add thick adapter plates. Should be pretty straight forward as the flange angle is the same between a Mopar 440 and a SBC (55°) and the runner openings have to be enlarged only slightly.
What I'm not sure about is if I should go to the ITB route or add a plenum (basically a large box around the trumpets and have the throttle bodies on the plenum box much like a cross ram)? Tuning should be easier with the plenum style right?
How about resonance charging/pressure waves with ITBs? Does the throttle blade impede with the pressure waves at part throttle? If yes, a plenum intake shouldn't have this problem as I would only add an injector bung to the runners and the trumpets. Disadvantage compared to the ITBs would be a slightly delayed throttle response.
Also the runner opening of this particular manifold is 45mm - a throttle blade would add a further restriction to an already smallish runner (my engine has 505ci).

:D That's an interesting concept, Charger ST!

Yes, to physically fit it, you must split it in the middle as you say. The big block MOPAR has bore centers farther apart (4.80") than does the small block Chevy (4.40"). And because of that, the paired intake runners at front and rear will need more space between them, as well. So splitting the intake in the center as Aston Martin did mid-'70s (though for different reasons) is the fix for that......

Thick aluminum spacer/adapter plates between intake and head flanges will make up for the taller (and thus wider) MOPAR block. And the unused parts of the Chevy intake can be trimmed off to pare it down to the essentials (runners and flanges for mounting carbs and bolting to heads). You will need to use a divorced MOPAR (or hand built) water manifold and thermostat housing up front. So no need for that portion of the Chevy intake nor for the rear portion having the Chevy distributor mount.

Generally, an IR style intake will give you a bit more midrange torque than a plenum style intake, though each (in theory) should make close to the same power at peak (both TQ and HP) if optimized for the same engine. Personally, I believe an IR intake has a bit more of an advantage than that, though.

Just as with carburettors on an IR intake, you will need to have the ability to individually tune each ITB supplying each intake runner. Only you must do it by mapping out a separate tune for each cylinder (both fuel delivery and ignition) on an engine management computer rather than jetting, tuning, balancing and syncing Weber or Dellorto carbs manually. Which means each exhaust runner (or header primary tube) must be fitted with individual O2 sensors, as well.

Regarding tuned runner length and IR setup versus plenum style intake...... Its a Catch 22 situation, really. Both have their advantages and both have their disadvantages. Once you have determined your ideal CSA for your intake runner (I kept Dan's to the minimum required to achieve an average port velocity of 300 ft./sec. at design redline RPMs (based upon 100% VE at redline), as we were running at EMC and the RPM limit for the pull determined what redline would be). This was to keep port velocity as high as possible throughout his engine's operating range and 'just' reach design redline.

If you have no such rules constraints and are going to base redline on what your engine can pull over an extended period, I was taught to limit redline to whatever would result in 4,000 ft./min. piston speed even when using the best of parts and balancing the bejavvers out of it. You can get away with spinning it higher if you are drag racing and subjecting it to full throttle runs for short periods (12 seconds or less), but I find road racing and flat out land speed record racing more interesting, so have always been conservative when it comes to setting (and building to) a specific redline limit.

Back to tuned runner length...... This is measured from the back of intake valve when resting on its seat up through center of the flow path of headport and intake runner to the point at which you reach end of trumpet if you have an IR intake...... Or to the point where your intake port joins your plenum if you have a plenum type intake. Regarding trumpets, if it has the usual wider bellmouth flare, your calculated tuned runner length with an IR setup will actually be slightly less than the upper rim. I usually figure it to be anything lower than the point at which bellmouth ID increases to 10% wider than ID of trumpet assuming trumpet has similar ID to carb (or ITB) throttle bore size. But that's just a personal rule of thumb. Anyway...... For Dan's engine, I calculated tuned runner length to coincide with the midpoint between peak VE and redline (peak HP) and in Dan's case, peak VE was a couple hundred RPMs more than peak TQ. We couldn't get runner length spot on, as we had EMC rules constraints limiting height of trumpets (AKA velocity stacks), spacers/adapters between carb base and intake, between intake and head, etc. But we were able to come close to our goal of tuning for the stronger 2nd harmonic and did manage to achieve just shy of 116% VE. I doubt if we could have done that with a plenum style intake.

That said...... You will only really take full advantage of tuned runner length with an IR setup when you are at (or very near) WOT, for as you noted...... The throttle blades at part throttle opening do not allow the harmonics to fully work 'for you'. In those instances, the best you can do is to make sure your runner length is such that they do not work 'against you'. The other thing is that at part throttle and lower engine speeds when your engine is running 'off cam' (below the engine speed where your engine is within its designed operating range or powerband)...... You will have noticeable (and visible) standoff atop your trumpets which will remain until engine speed increases to the point where you are running 'on cam' (within your engine's designed operating range or powerband).

Now with a plenum intake where your tuned length runners are fixed length and join the plenum (floor or sidewalls)...... You have a situation where at part throttle there is no issue with partially closed throttle blades interrupting effective tuned runner length...... But...... Until and unless you are running at or very near the engine speed you have tuned your runner length for...... Again, you are not taking full advantage of tuned length. That's why I say its a Catch 22 (darned if you do and darned if you don't) scenario if your engine is in a road car and you have a wide power band. In those cases, its probably better to calculate tuned length and just make sure your runner length does not work against you.

Personally, I like longer runners tuned for the stronger 2nd harmonic if you can package it underhood because you will also get a little boost as the engine spins up and RPMs coincide with 3rd and 4th harmonics as well. As an example...... Lets say our designed redline is 6,500 RPMs and we pick a hypothetical tuned runner length of 22 inches (position carb throttle blades around 8" from back of intake valve and measure remainder of tuned length through carb and extended trumpet flow path)......

Intake runner length, 22 inches......
2nd harmonic, RPM range from 5,340 RPMs to 6,480 RPMs with peak @ 5,910 RPMs and pulse strength of 10 percent
3rd harmonic, RPM range from 4,012 RPMs to 4,585 RPMs with peak @ 4,299 RPMs and pulse strength of 7 percent
4th harmonic, RPM range from 3,128 RPMs to 3,498 RPMs with peak @ 3,313 RPMs and pulse strength of 4 percent

Note that 2nd harmonic RPM range should 'just' span the distance between peak HP and peak VE, enhancing both. Think of it as the 'jammer' on a roller derby track being boosted by their teammates past the defenders on the other team. And with similar boosts of lesser strength coinciding with 3rd and 4th harmonics ranges as well. What you want to avoid (assuming your engine is well matched to this particular RPM range and redline)...... Is having major events such as the RPM range between peak VE and redline fall within the areas between each of these harmonic ranges. In that case, tuned length would not coincide with engine speeds the engine was designed for and would work 'against you' rather than 'for you'.

I tried to locate a bar graph that would demonstrate not only the harmonic peaks but the valleys between each of them as well (the valleys are what you want to avoid), but only found the following......

Think of it as if you drop a basketball onto a hard surface from a certain height. Each time it bounces, it rises to a lesser height. Harmonics work the same way, only there is a valley between them equal in strength to roughly the average of the peaks on either side. Make use of the peaks and avoid the valleys and you should be good to go.

Hope this makes sense,

Harry