Erson Cams Quality Discussion

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-9274568

Re: Erson Cams Quality Discussion

Post by user-9274568 »

MadBill wrote:
cspeier wrote:..The seat pressure is always good, open pressure goes away.
I'm trying to get my head around this. The spring rate would have to change. How that can happen? #-o
I'm not saying the seat pressure didn't drop. But I've seen 20-25 seat pressure change and 100-125 open pressure change from original setup.

I keep tabs on my springs. And who I think has the best spring would completely disagree with many.

I won't ever use a dual Manley Nextec or PAC 1224 on a 2.300/2.350 stainless, 7500 RPM BBC ever again.
ErsonCamShop
Vendor

Post by ErsonCamShop »

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the feedback on the valve springs. I personally have used lots of the 3860's on a few engines that I turned 8200 and had great luck with them. I've used a few sets of our 915049 with great luck. Valve springs can turn into a touchy subject real quick but I appreciate all feedback, good or bad to let us know where we're measuring up against our competition.
Thanks
Russ
Russ Yoder
Erson Cams
Louisville, KY
ersoncamsshop@gmail.com
www.pbm-erson.com
800-641-7920
ext 8003 (John)
ext 1041 (Ryan)
greyhounds_amx

Post by greyhounds_amx »

Russ, could you post the duration at 0.200" for the hydraulic flat tappet HIFLOW and TQ lobes? Thanks!
Chipster

Post by Chipster »

Russ, could you post the duration at 0.200" for the hydraulic flat tappet HIFLOW and TQ lobes? Thanks!

Cam Analyzer 3.2 reports on avg.

HI Flow IIIH (316/240/ .315) lobe at
306 @ .004 / 296 @ .006 / 206 @ .100 / 144 @ .200 /49 @ .300

HI Flow IIH (306/235/ .315) lobe at
297 @ .004 / 291 @ .006 / 201 @ .100 / 140 @ .200 / 46 @ .300

My rule of thumb =
HI Flow series, -9 @ .004, -17 @ .006
.335 lift series, -20 @ .004, -25 @ .006
From catalog seat duration.

greyhounds_amx

Post by greyhounds_amx »

Thanks - that's good info!

Is it common to see 10 degrees total duration difference between 0.004" and 0.006" on a hydraulic? It seems like a lot.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

ramps are real gentle in that area for most street cams
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Russ
specs on RV 10 H for AMC 6 please- I have one "on the shelf" cam lift
I can check the base circle if need be any Idea what is should be
although it might have been used for a core and reground as there are some other numbers on it
Chipster

Post by Chipster »

greyhounds_amx wrote:Thanks - that's good info!

Is it common to see 10 degrees total duration difference between 0.004" and 0.006" on a hydraulic? It seems like a lot.
Grey, this was a average 6 or so cams measured by hand in my "test block" and put into CA , as you know it's hard to measure the sloooow lifter movement down there!

Another FYI I was told the HIFLOW series were designed in 1966 for the then current Chevy heads n springs avalible at the time,
they run smooth with a Z/28 type spring in a budget claimer engine for the $ down guy
ErsonCamShop
Vendor

Post by ErsonCamShop »

wyrmrider wrote:Russ
specs on RV 10 H for AMC 6 please- I have one "on the shelf" cam lift
I can check the base circle if need be any Idea what is should be
although it might have been used for a core and reground as there are some other numbers on it
Should be in your PM's
Thanks
Russ Yoder
Erson Cams
Louisville, KY
ersoncamsshop@gmail.com
www.pbm-erson.com
800-641-7920
ext 8003 (John)
ext 1041 (Ryan)
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Thanks Russ
you could just have posted them here
I'll check that part number against the other numbers on the cam
seat timing is at what lift??
any idea what the base circle is supposed to be
any idea if these were new cores or regrinds (back then)
cheers
Trying to compare with RV5H and 12H which show 280 seat for 208@50 whereas you show RV10 as single pattern at 256- did you change way of posting seat timing along the way? go to SAE or something?
back when we got this cam AMC 6 had 1.5 shaft rockers
ErsonCamShop
Vendor

Post by ErsonCamShop »

It was brought to my attention Friday night, December 16th, that some people have had problems with our parkerized finish on our flat tappet cams. I apologize for this issue. We're looking in to the problem. We're going to change the parco in the tanks this morning. The whole reason for this thread is if someone has an issue to please let me know. We want to produce the best quality camshaft possible. If anyone needs to contact me directly, please PM me and I'll give you our direct email. It won't allow us to post it here. But please know we are addressing this issue. We will follow this up with some pictures shortly. If there are any other issues, please share them with me so I can address them.
Thanks
Russ
Erson Cams Shop
Russ Yoder
Erson Cams
Louisville, KY
ersoncamsshop@gmail.com
www.pbm-erson.com
800-641-7920
ext 8003 (John)
ext 1041 (Ryan)
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

I was looking at your mechanical roller cams and came to your truck pull cams for BBC. I was wondering why you have less exhaust duration than intake on those cams? Seems like more exhaust duration would extend the power band with less drop off?

Thanks, Billy
ErsonCamShop
Vendor

Post by ErsonCamShop »

Old School wrote:I was looking at your mechanical roller cams and came to your truck pull cams for BBC. I was wondering why you have less exhaust duration than intake on those cams? Seems like more exhaust duration would extend the power band with less drop off?

Thanks, Billy
"That is true. Less exhaust duration would make more torque and would be used in an application without a slipper clutch."
-John Hartman

We do custom grinds with larger exhaust durations when customers can supply us the flow figures for a specific application.
Thanks
Russ
Russ Yoder
Erson Cams
Louisville, KY
ersoncamsshop@gmail.com
www.pbm-erson.com
800-641-7920
ext 8003 (John)
ext 1041 (Ryan)
ErsonCamShop
Vendor

Post by ErsonCamShop »

Hey folks,just wanted to let everyone know that if there are any quality issues or concerns or questions, we're still here! Let us know! You can reach out to us in any way, PM us, email or by phone, and we'll be checking this thread regularly!
Thanks
Russ
Russ Yoder
Erson Cams
Louisville, KY
ersoncamsshop@gmail.com
www.pbm-erson.com
800-641-7920
ext 8003 (John)
ext 1041 (Ryan)
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

ErsonCamShop wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:52 am Hey folks,just wanted to let everyone know that if there are any quality issues or concerns or questions, we're still here! Let us know! You can reach out to us in any way, PM us, email or by phone, and we'll be checking this thread regularly!
Thanks
Russ
You guy's have been great. Appreciate the service. I order a custom cam on a Monday, they say, should probably see it by next Tuesday. Sounds good I say. I have it by Thursday, of the same week, sometimes even Wednesday if I place the order early enough on Monday. That's great service. Thanks