Erson Cams Quality Discussion

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Russ

Re: Erson Cams Quality Discussion

Post by Russ »

I bought one around 2010 or so and it worked fine. One of the lifters didn't have the oil hole drilled all the way through on the side. It was no big deal as i just took a punch and smacked the hole through. You could see where the drill had almost punched through and then must have broke off. I always double check everything no matter what i buy. It was a solid flat tappet and like i said it was a good cam.
wjnielsen
Pro
Pro

Post by wjnielsen »

OK, a couple questions... Does Erson offer roller cams for 383-440 MoPar with an iron distributor gear? And am I locked into existing available lobe centers on a roller billet, or can they be made on whatever my heart desires?

-Bill
seduce the attractive... charm the rest
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

wjnielsen wrote:OK, a couple questions... Does Erson offer roller cams for 383-440 MoPar with an iron distributor gear? And am I locked into existing available lobe centers on a roller billet, or can they be made on whatever my heart desires?

-Bill
I don't think that anybody makes a SADI or multi piece "Everwear" core for the big Chrysler.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

ErsonCamShop wrote:
Chipster wrote:Russ:

Any truth that Eric Bolander has left.

He was my guy after Steve Tanzi moved.

Who do I need to ask for now?

Ryan, John, you?

Please enlighten your PBM distributers.

Thanks Chip

PS: The last custom roller cam I received was extremely nice.
Eric found the core I needed to fit the grind with the cast dist gear I wanted.
10 business day’s to my door with a “Cam Pro” report. Thank You!

John Hartman, who was one of the original Erson Cams salesmen, has replaced Eric Bolander. His extension is the same as Eric's was. If you have any trouble contacting him, feel free to email or PM me. Thanks for the feedback! Glad you liked it, and if you have any trouble, let us know.
Thanks
I'm glad to hear you have John Hartman again. I immediately texted him when I read this to confirm. I worked with John, 25+ years ago when I worked at Mallory/Erson, and I can state that he goes out of his way to make sure a customer is satisfied with an excellent product in a timely manner and a "sale" is not his first priority. I never met Eric in person and he is good too, I wish him well in whatever endeavor he is doing now.

I've never been one to abuse favors, but when I've been flown in to tune something and the combination is bad and needs cam help and a time/money constraint is an issue, I've on occasion had to call and say I need Rxxx/xxx" on a xxxLSA with xxxICL and it shows up the NEXT day red label early am....THAT's customer service that the dyno owner and/or customer appreciates and immediately they are an Erson first call. I'm not knocking any other cam company as that stuff happens on a daily basis, I just happen to know what Erson lobes to use for what application. I rarely ever speak of duration numbers to use because you have to KNOW the right lobe to use, cam technology today requires that. The same @.050" and LSA can yield many different things depending on lobe design.

Steve Tanzi, John Hartman, Eric Bolander, Gregg Koechlein, Hans Herman, T-Willy, myself and others know. Comparing @.050" numbers is futile between different vendors. I would trust Mike Jones to pick/grind a cam for anyone too. Erson is like family to me is all.

Carry on :mrgreen:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
ErsonCamShop
Vendor

Post by ErsonCamShop »

DaveMcLain wrote:
wjnielsen wrote:OK, a couple questions... Does Erson offer roller cams for 383-440 MoPar with an iron distributor gear? And am I locked into existing available lobe centers on a roller billet, or can they be made on whatever my heart desires?

-Bill
I don't think that anybody makes a SADI or multi piece "Everwear" core for the big Chrysler.
We don't have any SADI Chrysler cores. Wish we did, seems like everybody wants one. We do have a few different lobe separation combinations, you jsut have to let me know what you're looking for and I can tell you your options. If you'd like to PM me with any specs, I'd be glad to let you know the core options we have to work with.
Thanks
Russ
Russ Yoder
Erson Cams
Louisville, KY
ersoncamsshop@gmail.com
www.pbm-erson.com
800-641-7920
ext 8003 (John)
ext 1041 (Ryan)
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

FYI
ISKY does offer a street gear for all their BILLET cams
Existing core has a cast gear end pressed and pinned to the end steal cam core.
It is special order at a small extra cost for those that do lots of miles and don't want the bronze dist drive gear frequent replacement.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I had a customer bring in his new Erson hydraulic roller cam for a Pontiac and I was looking it over before I checked the clearance in the cam bearings for him. The re-usable plastic case that it came in was impressive but he's going to have to do a little "finishing" on this gear don't you think?

ErsonCamShop
Vendor

Post by ErsonCamShop »

DaveMcLain wrote:I had a customer bring in his new Erson hydraulic roller cam for a Pontiac and I was looking it over before I checked the clearance in the cam bearings for him. The re-usable plastic case that it came in was impressive but he's going to have to do a little "finishing" on this gear don't you think?

We don't hob the gears; they come to us already machined. I think the discoloration on the gear was from the induction hardening. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We'll take a look at our hydraulic roller induction hardened cores and see if we can find any others that look like they're in that kind of shape. Sorry he had to do some de-burring. We'll address this in the future.
Thanks
Russ
Russ Yoder
Erson Cams
Louisville, KY
ersoncamsshop@gmail.com
www.pbm-erson.com
800-641-7920
ext 8003 (John)
ext 1041 (Ryan)
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I was going to mention that same thing, the majority of cam grinders buy semi finished UGL's with the gears already hob'd. Show that picture to your cam grinders and as part of QC have them look at the UGL cores before grinding to either reject or bone/stone the gears before shipment. It's an easy thing to miss.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Does this thread also pertain to Erson valve springs? Yesterday I received a set of the 3100's to use in a flat tappet hydraulic cam application. They are listed as being a single with a damper. This set has no dampers......

ErsonCamShop
Vendor

Post by ErsonCamShop »

DaveMcLain wrote:Does this thread also pertain to Erson valve springs? Yesterday I received a set of the 3100's to use in a flat tappet hydraulic cam application. They are listed as being a single with a damper. This set has no dampers......
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'm forwarding this to the PBM-Erson warehouse manager who packages those springs. I'll let you know as soon as I find out something about this.
Thanks
Russ
Russ Yoder
Erson Cams
Louisville, KY
ersoncamsshop@gmail.com
www.pbm-erson.com
800-641-7920
ext 8003 (John)
ext 1041 (Ryan)
ErsonCamShop
Vendor

Post by ErsonCamShop »

We've narrowed it down to that particular date code, and those are all being pulled off the shelf. Don't know how that got overlooked. We don't package the springs in the shop here, but thank you for bringing that to our attention so we could address the problem. Whoever you purchased your springs through should be able to replace them. If there are any other questions, concerns or issues with any of our products, please make sure to bring it to my attention so I can see that it gets checked in to.
Thanks
Russ
Russ Yoder
Erson Cams
Louisville, KY
ersoncamsshop@gmail.com
www.pbm-erson.com
800-641-7920
ext 8003 (John)
ext 1041 (Ryan)
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I had ordered them through our local EPW and yesterday I ordered another set so hopefully they will be ok.

I'm sure this thread is very helpful and a good idea.
blwilliams
Pro
Pro

Post by blwilliams »

Dave, when you ordered the springs through EPW did the springs have the damper?
Did you order the 02-1002-16?
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

blwilliams wrote:Dave, when you ordered the springs through EPW did the springs have the damper?
Did you order the 02-1002-16?
I ordered them last Friday I think. I ordered the replacement set yesterday and our UPS has not run yet so I don't know if the new set will be correct or not.

The springs I ordered were the PBM 3100's.