Offroad engine selection. 1200-1300HP, reliable.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Re: Offroad engine selection. 1200-1300HP, reliable.

Post by wyrmrider »

remember, you can only pick two :)
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

I realize that this is an old thread, but came upon it trying to search for how to maximize reliability of a turbo engine.

In response to the original poster's question, here's an interesting article:
https://www.koenigsegg.com/build128-the ... gg-engine/

"The Agera RS features Koenigsegg’s 90-degree, twin-turbocharged V8 engine that produces 1160hp at 7800rpm (redline at 8250rpm) and 1280Nm of torque at 4100rpm. That’s 232hp per litre of displacement. We refer to it as the ‘most downsized’ engine in the world because of this hp-per-litre figure."

This is obviously not a $15k engine, but it's a production engine that makes a lot of reasonable reliable power from 5Ls. With _zero_ experience, I'd venture a guess that using similar ideas with very large displacement, very low compression BBC might get one there once twin turbocharged and running an EFI system. I think the end result would look something like this (others have already pointed this out earlier): http://nelsonracingengines.com/~nelsonr ... tt-cdd.pdf

I don't know how to fit that under $15k, though.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

Mercruiser 1350 engine...
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

What about that new Mercruiser DOHC & add some boost? Bet they could build it ,good rep for being reliable.
Seems like a tall order...I wouldnt count on an LS holding that
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

cuisinartvette wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:17 pm What about that new Mercruiser DOHC & add some boost? Bet they could build it ,good rep for being reliable.
They have a ton of valvetrain issues.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

surprising, cant help but wonder whats causing them
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

CamKing wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:37 pm
cuisinartvette wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:17 pm What about that new Mercruiser DOHC & add some boost? Bet they could build it ,good rep for being reliable.
They have a ton of valvetrain issues.
What kind? Looks like Mercury put a ton of money into it.
Joe Facciano
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

any idea how many engines you might need , that might swing things ,

i fully state that these bhp levels are outside my experience , but

the bike engine are making 200+ per lit reliable and trashed by a fair amount of idiots,

since this will be on an ecu , you could put a push to pass , which the customer is advised will shorten the service life and cost him every time he hits it , soo 1000 bhp and 1250 push for xx time , then your a kinda in budget but its their greed that costs them more

i thought of the viper too , has to be very easy , with turbos , so the rule is if all is specked right and done right with correct size turbos , at 1bar you double the power , see horsepower freeks bmw bolt on kit , so form there you upgrade the week viper bits and it still not big bhp per lit

i would only look at turbos , easier to wind up, cool and placement , this technology has come on so much , also antilag

as when someone says no to a 2jz , since they running on excess of 2200 , check out when they reverse that to 1200 , rather than someone building up to 1200 , the power spread is exceptional ,

money aside i cannot see why any of these v8 cannot do this at their ease , consider the bhp per lit , if not i' trow them all away

consider this investment is bigger , but the gtr guy and what they are running , the make 3500 from a v6 the 1200 on 91 oct has less lag than the factory set up as no emission restrictions . so consider you can fab turbos where you like , these can easily make reliable power for you requirements , i haven't seen any of the guys here , you would have to contact them , but T1 DEVELOPMENTS / SWITZER / ETS / AMS

I know im outside money , but i'd still chat them .

don't rule out diesel , think audi le mans . it had enough throttle response to keep up with all the petrol there , also no turbo lag between shifts , as no throttle plate , guys are now pushing over 630bhp in 2.0 lit tdi so to pull a 5.0v10tdi and will probably make 1500tq should get to 800bhp +
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

This is a five year old thread and now the discussion is revived... which is ok, interesting topic.

We never heard back from the OP. I figured it was settled with the Rambler Six 8)

53E5DF1B-6A38-4B93-9F41-C9D08405F3F5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

funny i seen someone mention date and i ment to check it , o lord

the electronics package alone would be well over 5k

but best yet why no ask the guy how he got on what did he go with