Post by wyrmrider »

I made lots of $$$ blueprinting "pink" rods
except for maybe road race I could see little practical difference
something else usually broker first - taking out whatever rod was involved
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Re: 400 hp 350sbc rods

Post by Dave Koehler »

cgarb wrote:I reconditioned them myself in the garage with a disc grinder and a chainsaw file. I feel like they came out nice.
Pictures or it never happened.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I guess Dave has never heard of sarcasm...
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

Blue Malibu wrote:
Brian B wrote:Gain and extra 10HP if you use a set of stock X rods........ :^o
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-New-NOS-3946 ... 5d&vxp=mtr

Then these pink rods should be worth at least 50hp! :shock:

Andy
Did anybody else look at that ebay link?? Guess my Carrillo's were a steal! (But probably not as strong) :mrgreen:
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

i do believe that the ones on eBay are gm Babbitt dipped rods, i was told by a gm engineer that Chevy used the rods that were over bored and defective for press fit pistons, and used Babbitt dipping for bushing material and then used them in the 302 z28 hipo engines . but i could be wrong
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Back in the day you would find lots of small journal rods copper dipped to save the rod but the Z-302 also had the copper dipped rods with floating pins. I had an engine here a couple weeks ago and they were worn bad as most of their life was steel to steel and no oil hole on top. I honed a set of rods from a 307 core I had which had the same rods in it but added a hole on the top to catch oil to lube the pin.
Piston weight was always an issue back them with the heavy TRW slugs GM used and oval track stuff even with a FT piston would stretch a rod .005 if they went over 7000 for a sustained period keeping the head clean of carbon if the deck was tight to start with
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote:
Blue Malibu wrote:
Brian B wrote:Gain and extra 10HP if you use a set of stock X rods........ :^o
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-New-NOS-3946 ... 5d&vxp=mtr

Then these pink rods should be worth at least 50hp! :shock:

Andy
Did anybody else look at that ebay link?? Guess my Carrillo's were a steal! (But probably not as strong) :mrgreen:
Terry Rosebush Motorsports is known for "trolling for idiots". Their prices are in the neighborhood of +50% or more from what a person would expect.

They have some interesting stuff, but I'd no more buy from them than jump over the moon.
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

ProPower engines wrote:Back in the day you would find lots of small journal rods copper dipped to save the rod but the Z-302 also had the copper dipped rods with floating pins. I had an engine here a couple weeks ago and they were worn bad as most of their life was steel to steel and no oil hole on top. I honed a set of rods from a 307 core I had which had the same rods in it but added a hole on the top to catch oil to lube the pin.
Piston weight was always an issue back them with the heavy TRW slugs GM used and oval track stuff even with a FT piston would stretch a rod .005 if they went over 7000 for a sustained period keeping the head clean of carbon if the deck was tight to start with
Those rods were not copper dipped they were. The "babbit colored" rods actually had a tin alloy electroplated coating on the pin end only.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

1973-1997 The notch/radius in the bolt seat often showed "indications" on rods of many makes. Some fatigue cracks had progressed more than half way thru the rod thickness, Other indications were barely more than scratches and torn metal in the ( sometimes gruesome) factory machine work.

i think for shot peening to be effective the radius on a sound rod ( as determined by wet method fluorescent mag particle, with magnetism checked first ) needs to be smoothed and blended. And the bolt must be removed to provide open access for MX and shot peening.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

CNC BLOCKS wrote:
ProPower engines wrote:Back in the day you would find lots of small journal rods copper dipped to save the rod but the Z-302 also had the copper dipped rods with floating pins. I had an engine here a couple weeks ago and they were worn bad as most of their life was steel to steel and no oil hole on top. I honed a set of rods from a 307 core I had which had the same rods in it but added a hole on the top to catch oil to lube the pin.
Those rods were not copper dipped they were. The "babbit colored" rods actually had a tin alloy electroplated coating on the pin end only.
Bad choice of words opps.
I always believed they had something plated on the pin end to stand up to as a repair of mis-machined rods that were press fitted as well as the floating pins. But the thickness did not seem to be more then a few 10th's to tighten them up again.

Funny thing is it worked but the fit was always less on most rods I have seen when pressed apart compared to the rods with out the plating. But it was better then scrapping 1000's of rods off the line.
Never seen that process used on any other engines but GM. While it did work fine I guess the others just had better machining process's or better machines to preform the process
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

ProPower engines wrote:Never seen that process used on any other engines but GM. While it did work fine I guess the others just had better machining process's or better machines to preform the process
Or the others had higher scrappage rates.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

ProPower engines wrote: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:26 pm
CNC BLOCKS wrote:
Bad choice of words opps.
I always believed they had something plated on the pin end to stand up to as a repair of mis-machined rods that were press fitted as well as the floating pins. But the thickness did not seem to be more then a few 10th's to tighten them up again.

Funny thing is it worked but the fit was always less on most rods I have seen when pressed apart compared to the rods with out the plating. But it was better then scrapping 1000's of rods off the line.
Never seen that process used on any other engines but GM. While it did work fine I guess the others just had better machining process's or better machines to preform the process
I was up at GM's Pontiac Foundry one time years ago making a sales call with our local Saleslady.

They gave us a short tour of the melting floor. And I saw several skids of complete SBC heads that didn't pass QC so were sitting getting ready to be fed to one of the furnaces. (Complete heads melted down!!)...

They appeared to be big valve 1st. Gen. heads.

I would have like to have gotten several heads to take home!!

pdq67