General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
"Air Flow Experts" SpeedTalk interviews

Post by BradH »

I'm considering purchasing the "Air Flow Experts" set of SpeedTalk interviews:

- If it's all "talk" and no supporting documentation, etc., is there still value to the interviews for an amateur porter like myself? What am I going to get from it that I can apply directly to my own work?

- Did you find any of the interviews stand out as being more helpful / insightful than others? (And were any of them not really worth the time to listen to?)

Thanks,
Brad

< Feel free to PM me, if you'd prefer to keep your opinions private >
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Re: "Air Flow Experts" SpeedTalk interviews

Post by lada ok »

I agree with u Brad, you can ' talk the talk ' but, ..... I like it when they ' walk the walk '

Lot's of fella'a seem to detest o'l David Vizard, but all his testing is backed up with dyno results, He has enough info to get you some of the way, .... although I think his dyno need's re calibrating
lol
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Last bump before I decide to pass on buying these.

Either nobody else bought 'em (not likely), they're afraid to talk about them if they didn't think they were worth the $$$, they're a closely guarded secret, or people think I'm too stoopid to learn from audio discussions (as opposed to seeing things in person or hands-on visual examples). :lol:
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

I wonder if some generous person would scan a set for Brad ? For a nominal charge ..... I know I'd like to have a look.
But I'm with Brad on this one,
Same thing goes with women, .. got to try b4 you buy
gofaster
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gofaster »

I bought them and I thoroughly enjoyed them. The main reason I got them was because I know several of the speakers and thought I would like to hear what they had to say, how they explained the subject of airflow and porting. Since the package deal was more of a bargain, I went with the package and got the benefit of hearing what the guys I didn't know had to say, too! It was fun, and the information is all good. Of course I am biased! There a couple of speakers in that set who I would take time to listen to if they were just reporting soybean prices or the weather. They are smart enough to make me think that anything they say is important.

The bad news is that if you never saw a cylinder head, or a flat head block, never held a grinder, never saw a flowbench, these tapes won't magically turn you into a head porter.

The other bad news is If you already know more about cylinder heads than any of the speakers, you won't get much out of it either.
Jim McMahon
Heads1st
http://www.heads1st.com/
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

gofaster wrote:The bad news is that if you never saw a cylinder head, or a flat head block, never held a grinder, never saw a flowbench, these tapes won't magically turn you into a head porter.
No, I'm good there! Got heads, got grinders, got aluminum shavings, got flow bench...
gofaster wrote:The other bad news is If you already know more about cylinder heads than any of the speakers, you won't get much out of it either.
Definitely not my situation... hoping to learn more that I can apply to my stuff, even if it's just a hobby.

So, are you offering a money-back guaranty? :lol:
gofaster
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gofaster »

So, are you offering a money-back guaranty? :lol:
I can guarantee that the money isn't going in my back pocket.
Jim McMahon
Heads1st
http://www.heads1st.com/
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

hey brad,i bought the complete package from don terill about 4 years ago.i am not a professional engine builder only a guy who has been drag racing and building my own engines for over 25 years now,still to this day do i still listen to the likes of darrin morgan,the late joe mondello,harold bettes,jim mcfarland,bill maropulos,phill martin,kirk millner,peter hill,tom kolimatsis,rick miller,audie thomas ,brad morgan etc etc.i am sure the cost me about $1000 including engine pro software,air flow software,a professional sparkplug inspection light,carb porting book-there is to much to list,what you do have to realize that everyone has different opinions on air flow ,porting and engine building in general and listening and reading all this material does not make me a expert far from it,like darin morgan says''BE PREPARED TO SPEND A MINIMUM OF TEN YEARS TO BECOME PROFICIENT AT CYLINDER HEAD AND INTAKE MANIFOLD PORTING OR ENGINE BUILDING IN GENERAL.good luck in what you choose to do :D
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

steve cowan wrote:hey brad,i bought the complete package from don terill about 4 years ago.i am not a professional engine builder only a guy who has been drag racing and building my own engines for over 25 years now,still to this day do i still listen to the likes of darrin morgan,the late joe mondello,harold bettes,jim mcfarland,bill maropulos,phill martin,kirk millner,peter hill,tom kolimatsis,rick miller,audie thomas ,brad morgan etc etc.i am sure the cost me about $1000 including engine pro software,air flow software,a professional sparkplug inspection light,carb porting book-there is to much to list,what you do have to realize that everyone has different opinions on air flow ,porting and engine building in general and listening and reading all this material does not make me a expert far from it,like darin morgan says''BE PREPARED TO SPEND A MINIMUM OF TEN YEARS TO BECOME PROFICIENT AT CYLINDER HEAD AND INTAKE MANIFOLD PORTING OR ENGINE BUILDING IN GENERAL.good luck in what you choose to do :D

10 years--Is that all. I been doing this crap since 1962 and Im still learning and I got shavings all over the shop. Every bidy in the shop complains about the fkow bench noise and all the neighbors complain about the dyno noise---so 10 years. Sounds like a bargain.
reed
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

steve cowan wrote:hey brad,i bought the complete package from don terill about 4 years ago.i am not a professional engine builder only a guy who has been drag racing and building my own engines for over 25 years now,still to this day do i still listen to the likes of darrin morgan,the late joe mondello,harold bettes,jim mcfarland,bill maropulos,phill martin,kirk millner,peter hill,tom kolimatsis,rick miller,audie thomas ,brad morgan etc etc.i am sure the cost me about $1000 including engine pro software,air flow software,a professional sparkplug inspection light,carb porting book-there is to much to list,what you do have to realize that everyone has different opinions on air flow ,porting and engine building in general and listening and reading all this material does not make me a expert far from it,like darin morgan says''BE PREPARED TO SPEND A MINIMUM OF TEN YEARS TO BECOME PROFICIENT AT CYLINDER HEAD AND INTAKE MANIFOLD PORTING OR ENGINE BUILDING IN GENERAL.good luck in what you choose to do :D
Hahahaha.........he said "Phill Martin"! LOL

One of the best kept secrets when it comes to head/manifold porters. Known him for 20 years now.........
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

I recommend any of them. Different levels of experience pick up on different things.

It really helped me with my "mind set". You have to have a great minds eye for any of this..
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

cspeier wrote:... You have to have a great minds eye for any of this..
Not sure about my mind's eye, but my real eyes have astigmatisms and require corrective lenses. :P
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

It was well worth the $100. I paid for it. You don't get much for $100. in the performance world, let alone listening to some of the best in business talk about their craft.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Keith Morganstein wrote:It was well worth the $100. I paid for it. You don't get much for $100. in the performance world...
I can attest to that. Looks like I'll be placing an order for some new CDs to listen to on the commute to & from work.

EDIT: Or maybe not, if they're not available in CD form anymore. :?
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

BradH wrote:EDIT: Or maybe not, if they're not available in CD form anymore. :?
Confirmation from vendor: Not available in CD. I'd have to buy a new "toy" that can use the downloaded audios options.