BEST EPOXY

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

6 cylinder puller
Pro
Pro

BEST EPOXY

Post by 6 cylinder puller »

Looking for a good epoxy to fill in a sharp turn in a updraft carb( cast iron). What is a good brand that will handle racing fuel and what is the procedure for using the stuff to get the best result? I know this topic has been beat to death but I just cant find what I am looking for in my searches.
birkey
Re: BEST EPOXY

Post by birkey »

I have never used splash zone. But heard it is very good. We use jb weld on heads that run a lot of different fuels. No alcohol though. Clear coat never hurts either.
mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch »

Ive had good results with moroso A B epoxy.
Mkitch
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Does filling sharp bend work out well? Is everyone doing it?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

6 cylinder puller wrote:Looking for a good epoxy to fill in a sharp turn in a updraft carb( cast iron). What is a good brand that will handle racing fuel and what is the procedure for using the stuff to get the best result? I know this topic has been beat to death but I just cant find what I am looking for in my searches.
Personally ... I would use the slow curing JB Weld for that.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
CFM-Z440
HotPass
HotPass

Post by CFM-Z440 »

I use the Splash Zone A-788 on ATV cylinder heads for a couple years now. It has worked very well for me. I coat it with Wurth Rust Guard if I know there will be alcohol in the fuel used.

Prep is very important, and it is some sticky stuff. It helps a lot, to dab your finger in water when you're trying to shape it. Also, I try not to let it become less than about 1/8" thick. I cut trenches in the edges of where the epoxy will be in the port, to keep it thick, and avoid having any detachment issues.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

I found out the hard way that Moroso A/B does NOT hold up with E10 pump blend; it got soft and peeled off the walls of the intake manifold I used it on, even with proper surface prep and plenty of footholds to grab it.

Despite the cost, I'll hunt down some Belzona 1111(?) the next time I have a similar job. I was going to try Splash Zone, but heard on here that it doesn't hold up to ethanol either.
mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch »

BradH wrote:I found out the hard way that Moroso A/B does NOT hold up with E10 pump blend; it got soft and peeled off the walls of the intake manifold I used it on, even with proper surface prep and plenty of footholds to grab it.

Despite the cost, I'll hunt down some Belzona 1111(?) the next time I have a similar job. I was going to try Splash Zone, but heard on here that it doesn't hold up to ethanol either.

Never happened to me but never used that particular fuel.Ran it all season on methanol on 600cc 4cyl mini sprints. Also used in in 5 hour endurance cart racing with what ever the track racing fuel is.I have used the stuff that is 4 years old kept in zip lock bags still works great.Must be that E10 blend.
Mitch
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Balzona, but its not cheap!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Normally, with any kind of epoxy, you want the lowest amount of shrinkage that you can get as it dries. Fast cure epoxies will normally pull away from the wall because it dries so quickly and has a lot of shrinkage. The longer the dry time, the longer the epoxy/adhesive has to set up and get a cross link with the binders made into the epoxy. Also look for epoxy adhesive. There is a large difference in epoxy and epoxy adhesive. Also look for the shore harness you want after it dries. The higher the shore number the harder it will get. If you need flexure, then go low shore number. If you are going to mix thick, then drill and install a sheet metal screw and put the epoxy around it.. You can research any epoxy for it chemical resistance (methanol). Good luck.
reed
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

Belzona 111 will do the trick. Alcohol compatible.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
Sweet P

Post by Sweet P »

Where do you buy Belzona 111 and where does it say its compatible with alcohol?
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Do a search for Balzona products, it will come right up!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

mag2555 wrote:Do a search for Balzona products, it will come right up!
I'm pretty sure it's Belzona; the Balzona is where I where I wear my athletic cup during Tae Kwon Do sparring. :P