General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

900HP
Guru
Guru

Re: Throttle's Performance 383 build

Post by 900HP »

RevTheory wrote:Hey Mark, couple of questions for ya:

How much room do you reckon you have between the filter and your scoop?

Are those 1,000 cfm throttle bodies with tapered spacers under them?

What compression ratio do you feel is safe to run with that combo, or one similar to it? Texas heat 8)
At the very front of the air filter (closest to hood) there is over an inch of clearance however, I did remove the spacers to give more clearance at the cowl as the air filter sits partially under the cowl...... I may put them back in at some point if I go to a different design filter......or not..... yes, they are 1000 cfm Holley throttle bodies but I'm not happy with them, the throttle blade to bore fit is very poor and even though I've had them apart twice too much air leaks by the blades and to get the truck to idle at 750 rpm I have to pull timing back to 4 degrees........... I'm thinking of switching to twin TPiS mono-blades with a progressive linkage on the rear throttle body, I just don't have the money right now.

This engine is a little over 10.5:1 and it's on the edge for 87 octane........... the above chassis dyno testing was on 87 but it's definitely knock limited, there is a little bit more there on better fuel....... The tune up right now is no-knock on 87 and then we have the knock sensor set to pull up to 4º of timing if knock is experienced so there is room for different temps/conditions........... MS3pro can perform knock retard PER CYLINDER which is really really cool.......... it only pulls spark from the cylinder(s) that have spark knock 8)

I don't think Texas heat would be a factor unless your cooling system isn't up to par.......... I run this engine at 180º and as long as your cooling system can keep it there the only difference would be inlet air temp. If you built at 10:1 I'm sure it would be a lot more forgiving as 10.5:1 is pushing it with this combination....... for 87.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

It wanted to knock in the inboard cylinders first according to the data logs, pretty typical on a combo like Mark's. With the individual coilpacks and high resolution trigger wheel, it manages knock on individual cylinders.
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Wow, I'm glad I asked! I'm getting my skinny butt to your seminar as soon as I can.
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

wonder how a single carb tunnel ram with a GM tbi unit would do
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Wonder how a pair of Edelbrock 650 avs2 carbs would do on this, overall.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Great!!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I think the reason this combo worked as well as it did is because he took plenum volume, cold runners and booster signal out of the equation by converting to MPFI.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Geez, you gotta do something to pass the time in FARGO! :roll:

He did a nice build and with decent results and EFI saved the freezing ass cold day!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink: