really worked well
customer put one in a Fiero
head holds up better than the block without a lot of work
Xnke
Pro
Pro
Re: Frankenmotors

Post by Xnke »

Another frankenhead-Mercedes M103/M104 cylinder head on Nissan L-28 engine block.

It's pretty close, and I might finish one someday.
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

A-Sedan wrote: I got a Cosworth 4 valve head that will bolt right on your Vega block. :D
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass. Not a 4 cyl. fan.
If I ever get the lead out of my arse I'll be stuffing an eight in my Vega.
Just like everyone else.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

Kenova wrote:
A-Sedan wrote: I got a Cosworth 4 valve head that will bolt right on your Vega block. :D
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass. Not a 4 cyl. fan.
If I ever get the lead out of my arse I'll be stuffing an eight in my Vega.
Just like everyone else.

Ken
215 aluminum Buick/Olds fits nicely. Don't even need change the springs.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Speaking of lightweight eights, has anyone ever produced a running Chevy GenIII-headed Ford yet?

The most in-depth attempt I ever saw involved a lot of bandsaw work on an intake manifold since the Chevy and Ford engines have opposite leading cylinders.
Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Post by Rizzle »

peejay wrote:Speaking of lightweight eights, has anyone ever produced a running Chevy GenIII-headed Ford yet?

The most in-depth attempt I ever saw involved a lot of bandsaw work on an intake manifold since the Chevy and Ford engines have opposite leading cylinders.
On a related note, theres a member here who has posted pictures of his LS headed ford i6 by welding 6 sections of 6.0L head portions with the proper bore spacing for his setup. I'll look for them later when I get some time.

As for lightweight engines, I'd have thought the AL based LS setup would still be lighter than a CI based ford/LS hybrid?

ON topic, isn't there a setup of using Porsche 5.0L v8 heads on a BBC?
As well, theres the Pontiac iron duke Superduty (KRC??) blocks with head patterns for SBC, LS, Ford depending on what was requested.

For the B234 volvo head on a ford 2.3 block, can someone explain why one wouldnt just use the whole volvo engine? The volvo redblock setup is pretty stout, as least where loads of boost is concerned, and RWD transmissions are normal for that. So I am not sure what is gained by doing the work to fit it onto a very similar setup?
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

I just crammed a Leyland P76 crank into a rover 3.9L short deck block, along with Scat LJ chev rods & custom slugs.
Takes it out to 5.0L with .020" over bore size.

Line bored the block to holden mains size & Subaru EJ20 rear main seal size & made up some thrust spacers to fit the holden thrust bearings into the block, had the crank ground down to holden size & thrust widened to suit (holden mains split the difference between the Leyland crank & rover block), rear main seal ground to Subaru size & rod pins ground to chev size.
Narrowed the chev rods to fit.
Used Cleveland main studs & drilled the block for cross bolted mains.
Had some pistons made & bingo, we got a short deck rover V8 that displaces 5.0L without oversize sleeves.

I stick Nissan RD28 diesel cranks into L28 blocks pretty often, depending on bore size they end up between 3.1-3.3L, but that's a piss easy drop in using L24 rods.
Xnke
Pro
Pro

Post by Xnke »

Didn't you have an idea about Subaru EJ25D heads cut and welded onto a cleveland block somewhere, sometime? THAT would be a nifty hybrid, I think. I have NO idea if they're even close though.

I really need to fix the TIG and finish that LS/300 ford engine, I need to prep three blocks and finish up the other two heads before next racing season.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Yep, 4x subi heads onto clevo/Windsor looked doable, EJ25's have just short of 4" bore, bore spacing is pretty close, EJ head bolt spacing is close enough that it could be made to fit.
Would be a stupid big project tho - go on, I dare ya!
Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Post by Rizzle »

Xnke wrote:
I really need to fix the TIG and finish that LS/300 ford engine, I need to prep three blocks and finish up the other two heads before next racing season.
So the ford 6 with ls head sections is yours then. Made looking for the thread easy. Here it is for those who havent seen it:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41540

You asked about filling the floor of the 317's in that thread. I was/am considering getting my buddy to weld the top of the port roof between the valve cover rail and the rocker pads on a set of 862's so the port entry can be lifted up into the ls3/l92 port height, and fill the floor to suit. Most of the material is already there for the cathedral portion, so in theory only a small portion needs material to be added behind/around that to create a smooth port shape. Since clearly welding is up your alley, see if that would work to suit your needs.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Rizzle wrote:
peejay wrote:Speaking of lightweight eights, has anyone ever produced a running Chevy GenIII-headed Ford yet?

On a related note, theres a member here who has posted pictures of his LS headed ford i6 by welding 6 sections of 6.0L head portions with the proper bore spacing for his setup. I'll look for them later when I get some time.

As for lightweight engines, I'd have thought the AL based LS setup would still be lighter than a CI based ford/LS hybrid?

ON topic, isn't there a setup of using Porsche 5.0L v8 heads on a BBC?
As well, theres the Pontiac iron duke Superduty (KRC??) blocks with head patterns for SBC, LS, Ford depending on what was requested.

For the B234 volvo head on a ford 2.3 block, can someone explain why one wouldnt just use the whole volvo engine? The volvo redblock setup is pretty stout, as least where loads of boost is concerned, and RWD transmissions are normal for that. So I am not sure what is gained by doing the work to fit it onto a very similar setup?
you know theres quite an aftermarket for the pinto motors,
esslinger builds entire aftermarket engines
aftermarket iron blocks
aluminum blocks, with bed plates
aluminum heads,
cranks, ti rods,
they can go to 28xx cc with the stock block
and over 3000 with the aftermarket block
and still have a good rod/stroke ratio

check this out
https://youtu.be/dwpW9HA6r50
https://youtu.be/xl_1Su4S7o4
https://youtu.be/OvyJSSxtzWU

v8 guys who say "4 cylinders arent my thing" just listen to the onboard it sounds pretty good.

stock block, stock crank, same stuff thats sitting outside in my 110hp ford ranger :lol:
and in my ministock

actually now it appears he has upped his game
an esslinger block and 933hp....
https://youtu.be/NJOg68ipKSw

i believe the head was done by Andre' Norrback and its pretty radical, welding the tops of the ports and stuff to get them large enough
erland cox has done a simliar head
i suspect similar output could be achieved with the 6000$ esslinger 2v midget head that flows about 400cfm and makes nearly 400hp NA

https://youtu.be/Mx6LWm1h7sY
Sir Yun
Expert
Expert

Post by Sir Yun »

A personal favourite

Not mine ( engine by Matty ) but A series block with a 4v bmw K 1100 head and i think a turbo from a Saab. Pneumatic sequential 6 speed gearbox using i think some Honda blackbird parts all build into the original mini gearbox using lots of bespoke bits

He started out a few years back by chain drilling some aluminum plate ..thought he was joking. obviously not :)

Before he blew up the other gearbox his mini ran 13,2@ 111 mph in a Quarter so it is pretty nippy . Traction is a big problem with minis
“There is no authority who decides what is a good idea.”
― Richard Feynman

Expert ? Me ? ...whhhhaaahahhaahahaha
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

Well, I am working on putting an Infiniti Indy head on my Pontiac 4 cyl block. Going to look something like this when I get done....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sir Yun
Expert
Expert

Post by Sir Yun »

Something a bit different that a friend is building in his back yard on no budget.

London Black Cab chassis with a straight 12 made from two jag straight sixes. It will get a boat tail body I think and runs on LPG (gas).
“There is no authority who decides what is a good idea.”
― Richard Feynman

Expert ? Me ? ...whhhhaaahahhaahahaha