SBC rod question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

scotts439

SBC rod question

Post by scotts439 »

Which is stronger.... stock forged steel SBC rods or the later PM rods? for arguments sake, both have good aftermarket bolts.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: SBC rod question

Post by mag2555 »

Stronger over what time frame of useage?
If we are taking even just one full race season at 7k RPM , give me the steel rods !!!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

these are the PM rods used in the 2015 650 HP supercharged ZO-6 corvette engine ◾Lightweight, high-strength powder-metal steel connecting rod design for reduced reciprocating mass and quicker rev capability. It has the same balance mass as the LT1 rod, but a higher load capability, with features including machined lightening slots and additional lightening features, as well as a “stepped”/wide pin end with a premium bushing.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Take one rod of each type, put them in an old Blacksmith "post-vice" and hit each several times with a 10 pound sledge, (full swings), and see which one bends and which one breaks??

Use the rod that bends, imho..

pdq67
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

Chevy claims the 10108688 PM rods are better than pink rods.
https://sdparts.com/details/gm-performa ... s/12495071
If this picture is correct, the Pm replacement still uses through bolts and the straight across notch for the bolt head. Too bad.

Most of the cracks I ever saw in through bolt con rods originated from the bolt head notch. Straight across notch ala Chevy and Mopar and others is pretty poor. A few started at surface damage on the beam or under the pin eye.

The geometry of a nutless design with the rod tapped is (by inspection) WAY better (lower stress concentration) than the straight-across notch for the bolt head.

I highly value ductile parts (elongation over 8%) when my butt is astride/aboard going down the road or through the woods.\
But I would choose low stress geometry and good fatigue strength first for con rods.

And. mag particle inspection, careful surface prep and look into getting any rod shot peened.

Here is some college kid's thesis on Fatigue life of "both" types of con rods. It seems to have the blessing from the American and Steel Institute.
https://www.forging.org/system/files/fi ... havior.pdf

On page 40 he references some paper by some guy from Ford Motor, Scientific Research Laboratories. Chernenkoff, R. A., “The effects of surface modification on the fatigue performance of powder-forged steel,” Ford Motor, Scientific Research Laboratories.

Student says - "Shot peening of connecting rod has the biggest impact on the fatigue life. The effect of shotpeening on PF material used for connecting rod is
described by Chernenkoff et al. (1995). They further explained the process parameters for precision peening. These include shot diameter, shot distribution, shot shape, shot
hardness, shot type, shot density, shot impact angle, shot flow rate, shot blast pattern, nozzle-workpiece position relationship, and exposure time. Comparisons of shot peened
and unpeened specimens were conducted and was found that the fatigue strength increases from 262 MPa for unpeened specimens to approximately 407 MPa for peened
specimens at 20A. "

Improved fatigue life is what we are chasing by modifying rod geometry and fancy materials.
Note in that Chernenkoff test peening provided a 50% improvement with the same danged part. That means if the rod had an infinite life at some rpm, the simple act of MIL spec peening would theoretically raise the safe rpm limit 20% . Not bad. Not bad at all.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Dan Timberlake wrote:Chevy claims the 10108688 PM rods are better than pink rods.
If this picture is correct, the Pm replacement still uses through bolts and the straight across notch for the bolt head. Too bad.

Most of the cracks I ever saw in through bolt con rods originated from the bolt head notch. Straight across notch ala Chevy and Mopar and others is pretty poor. A few started at surface damage on the beam or under the pin eye.

The geometry of a nutless design with the rod tapped is (by inspection) WAY better (lower stress concentration) than the straight-across notch for the bolt head.

I highly value ductile parts (elongation over 8%) when my butt is astride/aboard going down the road or through the woods.\
But I would choose low stress geometry and good fatigue strength first for con rods.

And. mag particle inspection, careful surface prep and look into getting any rod shot peened.

Here is some college kid's thesis on Fatigue life of "both" types of con rods. It seems to have the blessing from the American and Steel Institute.

On page 40 he references some paper by some guy from Ford Motor, Scientific Research Laboratories. Chernenkoff, R. A., “The effects of surface modification on the fatigue performance of powder-forged steel,” Ford Motor, Scientific Research Laboratories.

Student says - "Shot peening of connecting rod has the biggest impact on the fatigue life. The effect of shotpeening on PF material used for connecting rod is
described by Chernenkoff et al. (1995). They further explained the process parameters for precision peening. These include shot diameter, shot distribution, shot shape, shot
hardness, shot type, shot density, shot impact angle, shot flow rate, shot blast pattern, nozzle-workpiece position relationship, and exposure time. Comparisons of shot peened
and unpeened specimens were conducted and was found that the fatigue strength increases from 262 MPa for unpeened specimens to approximately 407 MPa for peened
specimens at 20A. "

Improved fatigue life is what we are chasing by modifying rod geometry and fancy materials.
Note in that Chernenkoff test peening provided a 50% improvement with the same danged part. That means if the rod had an infinite life at some rpm, the simple act of MIL spec peening would theoretically raise the safe rpm limit 20% . Not bad. Not bad at all.

Shucks, I knew all that... hehe
reed
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Dan Timberlake wrote:
SAE paper, published prior to thesis:
http://www.eng.utoledo.edu/mime/faculty ... 1-1529.pdf

I would also characterize the inertial forces in tension on the cap and big end as bending forces.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

There are a lot of PM rods being used on the dirt tracks here in WISSOTA land… street stocks, B-mds, super stocks. Usually 450 HP and less… cheap, reliable and plentiful I bought 17 rods for $60.00 for my son's modified engine. They are really close on weight… all were 595-601 grams with most right at 600. GM sez the rod bolts are good, too but our engine guy changed 'em for ARP's.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Dan Timberlake wrote:Chevy claims the 10108688 PM rods are better than pink rods.

specimens at 20A. "

when I used stock chevy rods with thru bolts I polished the area where the head of the rod bolt set to remove the machine marks
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

Little known FACT--- The famous PINK RODS are exactly the same as any other not pink rod, EXCEPT, the pink rod has been magnaflux tested.NO OTHER DIFFERENCE at all.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
rob vine

Post by rob vine »

for the price of a set of rods ,, like scat i beam rod with cap screws and dowels and made of 4340 , its not worth it to use or recondition old rods and buy bolts ,, parts and labour and a few bucks more and you got 10x the rod
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The test between these two rods that I want to see the results of is one that is done on a detonating motor that is on the edge of loosing the grip / crush on the rod bearing!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

bigjoe1 wrote:Little known FACT--- The famous PINK RODS are exactly the same as any other not pink rod, EXCEPT, the pink rod has been magnaflux tested.NO OTHER DIFFERENCE at all.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
I read in either Hotrod or SC mag some years ago that the pink rods were select castings which probably meant they were probably magnifluxed like you say but that they were also shot peened?

I dont have an opinion on the PM rods just what I have read and heard that the PM rods are superior to the pink rods which isn't terribly strong they are supposed to be rated to stand 450+ HP sustained
pdq67 wrote:Take one rod of each type, put them in an old Blacksmith "post-vice" and hit each several times with a 10 pound sledge, (full swings), and see which one bends and which one breaks??

Use the rod that bends, imho..

pdq67

I like your highly scientific laboratory old Blacksmith "post-vice" test LOL
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

When I attempted to blue print my second 1968 Z/28, two of the "Pink Rods" had lengthwise cracks in the pin area. Since they were supposed to be magged, I called a Chevy rep and was told lengthwise cracks/inclusions were not considered to be a problem or weakness. Another unwanted "learning experience". I replaced the two funny rods.

This was the same engine that had a dealer installed "fitted block" because of antifreeze damage. (I bought the car used.) Only problem was they used a 327 fitted block instead of a 302. Pistons were 1/8" in the hole. I would NEVER let a dealership work on any high performance vehicle.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

mag2555 wrote:The test between these two rods that I want to see the results of is one that is done on a detonating motor that is on the edge of loosing the grip / crush on the rod bearing!

Somebody needs to build an engine with 4 "pinks" and 4 PM rods. Put it on a dyno under a good load, crank the timing up to 50 or so, and see which rod comes out first.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.