534 Super Duty MEL engine question.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Re: 534 Super Duty MEL engine question.

Post by engineguyBill »

The Thunderbolts used a tear-drop shaped scoop, with air inlets at the rear. As I recall, the Ford Super Duty trucks used a relatively small scoop with air inlet facing forward.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I think the 1984 or 85 Ford LN-7000 6-wheeler big truck with a Cat 3408 in it had that scoop on it? It had a 1-piece front tip f/g frontend on it.

It was one of APGreens Gunning Trucks that we drove to refractory gunning installation jobs and demos back then.

pdq67
numboltz

Post by numboltz »

Useless factoid dredged out of the memory hole by the topic of restricted breathing
of 534s:

An old acquaintance, back in the days I worked in the city was a lifer at a
redi-mix company, driving the usual tandem cement truck. In that city was an
infamous hill on the main hiway known as The Cut. He stated that every 413 Dodge
he had ever driven there would outpull any of the 534 Fords on The Cut.

[ducks, runs]
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

numboltz wrote:Useless factoid dredged out of the memory hole by the topic of restricted breathing
of 534s:

An old acquaintance, back in the days I worked in the city was a lifer at a
redi-mix company, driving the usual tandem cement truck. In that city was an
infamous hill on the main hiway known as The Cut. He stated that every 413 Dodge
he had ever driven there would outpull any of the 534 Fords on The Cut.

[ducks, runs]
The 413 didn't have to carry the 534's weight!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

He stated that every 413 Dodge he had ever driven there would outpull any of the 534 Fords on The Cut.
No doubt, but did that driver know the mean time between overhauls on both? The 413" Dodge was a converted car engine and thus had the ability to breathe and RPM to make power; the Super Duty was designed with a truck-duty bottom end and intentionally choked down with small port heads and a tiny cam, thus able to run forever at WOT.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

PackardV8 wrote:
He stated that every 413 Dodge he had ever driven there would outpull any of the 534 Fords on The Cut.
No doubt, but did that driver know the mean time between overhauls on both? The 413" Dodge was a converted car engine and thus had the ability to breathe and RPM to make power; the Super Duty was designed with a truck-duty bottom end and intentionally choked down with small port heads and a tiny cam, thus able to run forever at WOT.
People say a lot of things depending on what they like. 50's GMC's used the Olds 370 in larger trucks and it was claimed to be quite the engine. The 366 Chevy also has a reputation for being a very strong engine for it's size. How long they last is almost always subjective.
In the late 1970's I worked for 5 years in a school bus garage. The fleet was about 60 full size buses, 2/3's were Ford chassis with 361 FE's the other third were IHC 345's and a few 392's. The Fords were good runners but very few made it 100,000 miles without excessive oil consumption...The IHC's lasted longer but about half were done at 130,000 miles. School bus duty doesn't sound very punishing but it took it's toll.
I asked a local machinist if any blocks were tougher to machine than others.Tougher as in hard cast iron.. First words out of his mouth were the big Ford truck gas engines.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

50's GMC's used the Olds 370 in larger trucks and it was claimed to be quite the engine.
When they weren't using the Buick. Both the Buick and the Olds were a substantial increase in horsepower when compared to the 1930s-vintage GMC 6-cyls. Same again, the GMC was designed as a truck engine and choked down so it couldn't injure itself easily.
The Fords were good runners but very few made it 100,000 miles without excessive oil consumption...The IHC's lasted longer but about half were done at 130,000 miles.
Again, the FEs were converted car engines and were pretty sturdy. The IH V8 was designed as a truck engine, big and heavy as the hubs of hell and drank gas like it was free, but as stated, they lasted longer in commercial applications.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

Truckedup wrote: said;

People say a lot of things depending on what they like. 50's GMC's used the Olds 370 in larger trucks and it was claimed to be quite the engine. .

It was a Pontiac, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_V8_engine

Dave
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

dave brode wrote:

People say a lot of things depending on what they like. 50's GMC's used the Olds 370 in larger trucks and it was claimed to be quite the engine. .

Dave
Nope, Pontiac V8 was used in lighter trucks, The Olds 370 was used in heavier trucks. I know this from experience, not the Internet :D Jack, Chevy used the Buick in heavier trucks before the 348 came out
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

Truckedup wrote:
dave brode wrote:

Dave
Nope, Pontiac V8 was used in lighter trucks, The Olds 370 was used in heavier trucks. I know this from experience, not the Internet :D Jack, Chevy used the Buick in heavier trucks before the 348 came out
Hmm. I have never seen or heard that. I stand corrected. Btw, I worked at a junkyard as a kid, and I saw the Pontiacs that came old GMCs, so I'm not just an internet looker-upper guy. Also, Pontiac did make a 370, not Olds. There was an Olds 371. That said, I did the internet thing and saw this site, which supports what you wrote.

https://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wi ... ck_History

Afaik, I have read that GMC often did a 1# change on displacement, when using "other" engines. Perhaps they called it a 370, but it was a 371"?

Thanks, I learned something today.
Dave
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

30+ years ago I had an evening job servicing trucks for a food service company. I serviced trucks, in their shop from 6 to 10 three days a week after I got off my daytime, dealership job. I only done routine maintenance, so I can't speak about power, or reliability. They mostly had 361 Fords, but had 2 or 3 GMC's with big V-6's in them. (seems like they were over 400 inches) Those V6's really sounded....unique. The crankshafts, rods, flywheels ect must of weighted a ton. It seemed like it took them 30 seconds to rev up to 2000 rpm, and a minute to wind back down. Every time I serviced one of the GMC's the owner of the company would be reving it up after I was done.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Getting even further off the Super Duty topic, Ford called out their FE-based truck engines as 361" and 391" to differentiate them from the passenger car versions.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Guy's,

Please explain to me how the great big gas truck engines got such poor gas mileage?

I figure they all had little-bitty valves and ports, little-bitty carb's and intake manifolds and cam timing probably smaller than the 325hp/396 at 322(?)/198, 113/???, .398" lift so what gives??

Is it because they ran governed, "wide open", at something like at 2800 to 3200 rpm at their max torque spec's?

pdq67
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Please explain to me how the great big gas truck engines got such poor gas mileage? . . . Is it because they ran governed, "wide open", at something like at 2800 to 3200 rpm at their max torque spec's?
Two factors were lots of internal friction, some with 4-ring pistons and pulling against the vacuum of a small carb.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Truckedup wrote:
dave brode wrote:

Dave
they were 322 cu in nail head buicks.