wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Re: Torque Monster Dodge V10

Post by wyrmrider »

Keep looking
spacer shims for the rings?
however at your rpm makes little difference
you say all 4 corners of the block are down .060 ish block square?
There are formulas for cutting the intake to compensate- what's it made of?
would be nice to find pistons same weight as stock to save a balance job
did you say what the smallest each end of head cc was?
make sure aftermarket pistons are not "compensated"
there have to be some 360 dodge pistons that would work- but 360 is not double quench- there must be a reason for the smaller quench pad
I use Glyptol what else is there?
Fusion Works

Post by Fusion Works »

wyrmrider wrote:Keep looking
LOL, I have wasted my morning, I should be welding. :lol:
wyrmrider wrote: spacer shims for the rings?
Didn't know there was such a thing without me making it. Probably not worth it on this low RPM engine. I have to change my engine philosophy on this big old low rpm stuff.
wyrmrider wrote:you say all 4 corners of the block are down .060 ish block square?
There are formulas for cutting the intake to compensate- what's it made of?
would be nice to find pistons same weight as stock to save a balance job
did you say what the smallest each end of head cc was?
make sure aftermarket pistons are not "compensated"
there have to be some 360 dodge pistons that would work- but 360 is not double quench- there must be a reason for the smaller quench pad
?
The two pistons I measured are .017 down in the hole.

Intake is Aluminum, so machining isn't hard. I haven't measured the other side, just the two end cylinders on one bank. I'll know if the block is square this weekend. The piston balancing isn't a big deal. I have a scale and the necessary machining equipment. My machinist owes me a favor or two so the balancing shouldn't be that bad. I wonder how close Mopar balances there engines from the factory. The Japanese stuff is extremely accurate.

360 pistons with a flat top would give a really nice quench surfaces across the chamber. Extra weight is bad though, plus the chunky rings. Mopar doesn't show anything but a .010 piston for the first gen Viper. Still trying to figure out if that is a flat top or something else. Can't find compression height either. I might actually have to get on the phone and call Todd up at Arrow. Damn V10s, nobody does much for them. Too bad I don't have a big block Chevy. :(
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

I think you can get the spacers from Total seal.
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

Okay, I'm late to the party but early on you mentioned that you were thinking of stroking the crank and using a shorter rod. You said that it has a 2.100 journal when in fact it has a 2.125 which you could grind down to fit a very common small block chevy 2.100 rod and you said that the 4" bore was going to be a problem. There are literally hundreds of different SBC 4" bore pistons to choose from and all different lengths of SBC rods. That part should be the easy part :D
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
Fusion Works

Post by Fusion Works »

psychomotors wrote:Okay, I'm late to the party but early on you mentioned that you were thinking of stroking the crank and using a shorter rod. You said that it has a 2.100 journal when in fact it has a 2.125 which you could grind down to fit a very common small block chevy 2.100 rod and you said that the 4" bore was going to be a problem. There are literally hundreds of different SBC 4" bore pistons to choose from and all different lengths of SBC rods. That part should be the easy part :D
Yes it is a 2.125 bore, problem is the rod is 6.125 long. Most Chevy Combinations don't have the deck height to use that kind of rod or they put the wrist pin all up in the oil ring. If I could offset grind to a small journal Chevy size, the rod options get a little harder to come by but they are available. I can't justify offset grinding, buying a new set of rods and custom pistons to match. It would be nice if the 8.3 Viper cranks fit, but I doubt they do.

The 4in bore is the easy part, its the proper compression height. Since I have no interest in running forged pistons, I am kinda limited to a certain number of hypereutectic pistons. So my options are Dodge 360 options from Keith Black, modify some Ford Small block pistons, etc. The Dodge stuff is huge compared to the Other two American Manufactures. Dodge wrist pins are .984, so yes I can go down to the .918 wrist pin, but that requires a custom pin bushing. With a wall thickness of .030 it will be hard to push that in.

I am trying to do this in a cost effective manner without sinking race car money into a tow truck engine. I have ruled out offset grinding because of the additive costs of custom rods, etc. Plus I am not sure I gain that much torque by going to a longer stroke. I am going to do an oversize piston and concentrate on getting my quench right, compression up slightly, and enhancing combustion efficiency. Add to this better airflow from camshaft and cylinder head modification and I should be able to easily reach my goal. If all else fails, I will have learned what to do on the next engine. :twisted:
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

I can't seem to find the deck height for your engine. Yeah, by only wanting to use Hyper pistons, you have really limited your choices.
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
Fusion Works

Post by Fusion Works »

psychomotors wrote:I can't seem to find the deck height for your engine. Yeah, by only wanting to use Hyper pistons, you have really limited your choices.
Its tall. 3.88 stroke with a 6.125 rod, 1.612 compression height, etc. I can't justify the expense of a forged piston, plus I like the tighter P/W clearance and its effect on ring seal. Plus I don't have to listen to them rattle like forged pistons when cold.
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

Fusion Works wrote:
psychomotors wrote:I can't seem to find the deck height for your engine. Yeah, by only wanting to use Hyper pistons, you have really limited your choices.
Its tall. 3.88 stroke with a 6.125 rod, 1.612 compression height, etc. I can't justify the expense of a forged piston, plus I like the tighter P/W clearance and its effect on ring seal. Plus I don't have to listen to them rattle like forged pistons when cold.
That's more myth than anything else,imo. My last 350 was loose as hell with a set of real set of TRW 2256F pistons and I never heard it rattle except when I put the wrong type gas into it,lol.
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

It should be fun when your done.
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
Fusion Works

Post by Fusion Works »

DrillDawg wrote:It should be fun when your done.
I drove it today on a few errands. With my new exhaust, it sounds awesome. So much for getting better mileage. I can't keep my foot out of it cuz I want to hear the engine. It sounds so not like a V8, its great. I can't wait to build a new tune and see what it will do. Then the new engine goes together and I bet it gets even better.
Fusion Works

Post by Fusion Works »

Few dyno charts I found on line. Torque really falls off fast from peak. Wonder if a bit more cam duration would slow the drop or flatten the curve. Wonder if its all head flow or camshaft design?
iadr
Expert
Expert

Post by iadr »

You say where he mentioned 25in long intake runners, right? :wink:
Fusion Works

Post by Fusion Works »

iadr wrote:You say where he mentioned 25in long intake runners, right? :wink:
Yeah, I know. I want my cake and be able to eat it as well. Some variable cam timing would be really nice right about now.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

It would be interesting to hear what Camking has to say about how to use cam design to perk up the under 3500 rpm power ( "tOrqUe").

My recollection is cam comparison tests often look something like this -
http://image.hotrod.com/f/34517314+w660 ... -chart.jpg

Also it would be interesting if Exhausted chooses to weighs in.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

here's the article from which the graph was taken
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/111 ... -347-ford/