Weiand MOPAR vertical cross 3x2 intake.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Weiand MOPAR vertical cross 3x2 intake.

Post by pdq67 »

May not be advanced tech so please put this where it belongs, thanks.

Anybody know anything about the old Weiand MOPAR 413/426/440 engines vertical cross 3x2 intake?

PN 7252 base;
PN 7252 Gasket; and
PN 7254 Top.

Looking at it straight on, it has vertical "X" runners that come from the heads up and over to along each side of the 3x2's.

I have never seen one in person and am just wondering if this intake is any good?

A picture of it is in Weiand's 1986 catalog on page 20.

pdq67
jim_ss409

Re: Weiand MOPAR vertical cross 3x2 intake.

Post by jim_ss409 »

I think these are pictures of that style of manifold.
I saw one for sale a while back and thought about trying to adapt it to a 409 Chevy engine. (the 409's have similar sized ports and spacing)
I'm no expert but I thought it looked like a pretty good intake.

Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

That intake is just screaming for a set of fuel injectors!
Would a bell-mouth entry for the runners help flow any?

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

IIRC that's just the AHRA legal 3 X 2 top, there were others (and I'm sure some shade-tree stuff).
The idea is sound - a useful runner length + a plenum.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I never, ever heard anyone say anything good about the Weiand cross 3x2 intake. It didn't make any more power than today's better 1x4s and had no street idle or low RPM manners whatsoever.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Thanks Panic!!

That's it.

Jack,

As far as I can tell, almost all of the flat-ram and elevated x-ram intakes have to be "tweeked" before they will run as well as they can be made to run.

I think even Smokey got in a pissing contest with E-Brock over his design and, (I think??), he finally threw his hands up.

And probably the newest of this type of manifold, "family", is the "Torque-Link" and even it isn't perfect.

I would hazard a bet of a $Buck to a donut hole that turning this whole intake family into port EFI, that they would really wake up due to not having wet flow distribution problems that all of them seem to have to be worked through to get them to run their best.

I personally like the idea of long runners for max torque production when they are "right".

I have looked over a "newer" version of E-Brock's old 2101 and if you look at it's bottom, you can see how long it's bottom runners are for a generic, lo-po dual plane intake. (The 2101 that you can just barely see the bottom runner tips at the head-ports from the top).

Thanks everybody, I learned a lot today.

pdq67
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I personally like the idea of long runners for max torque production when they are "right".
Agreed, but IIRC nothing which will fit under a hood of a BBM and in the RPM range it runs really fits the equation of "max torque production". Wouldn't that be 16"-22" long runners?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

I used to build a NHRA Super Stock 440-6 for a guy 20+ years ago, and that Weiand 3x2 manifold with nothing more than a port match and radiused entries ran better than the sheet tunnel style manifold we tried at the time. The Weiand 3x2 set NHRA Super Stock records more than a few times back then, but now with the rpm Super Stock 440-6's are turning today, the shorter runner sheet manifold is now quicker.

Like I said, nothing fancy done to the Weiand 3x2, jetted square except for one corner, can't remember which one. :D
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

Re: "I never, ever heard anyone say anything good about the Weiand cross 3x2 intake"
The target for Weiand was "is it faster than the same carburetors on the factory 3 X 2 manifold", and it is.

I agree, the runners are still too short for the RPM range, but:
1. still more inertia, and less reversion (less affected by waves from the other cylinders)
2. there is so much traffic (Blair calls this "superposition": the reflected waves in both directions of the last few pulses) that it might tune to some later harmonic
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Has there ever been an intake like this for a SBC down through the years??

I am fascinated with it is why I ask..

I would think that designs like this "X" as well as the new Torque-Link would really wake up if TPI is installed on them. Same with the Z-28 flat, 2x4 intakes too!

pdq67
Solid LT1

Post by Solid LT1 »

As some have said, that intake was made for NHRA Super Stock motors, it was better than a factory intake but, distribution bugs need to be worked out of it from its production castings. I ran one of those back in the 70's, they were a pricey piece back then and I don't think many were sold.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

LSP wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:16 am I used to build a NHRA Super Stock 440-6 for a guy 20+ years ago, and that Weiand 3x2 manifold with nothing more than a port match and radiused entries ran better than the sheet tunnel style manifold we tried at the time. The Weiand 3x2 set NHRA Super Stock records more than a few times back then, but now with the rpm Super Stock 440-6's are turning today, the shorter runner sheet manifold is now quicker.

Like I said, nothing fancy done to the Weiand 3x2, jetted square except for one corner, can't remember which one. :D
Funny story that kind of pertains to what "POS's" all these "outdated" old SS intakes are. About 20 years ago, I was at a stock/SS combo at Mission raceway, Dave Wren was there with an SS/A car, he was running about 2 tenths off the SS/A record that day, and won the event. I went over to talk to him between rounds, and said with a wink, "jeez Dave, two tenths off the record with a Rat Roaster, if one believed the rail bird gossip, a sheet metal Barton intake would put this thing right on the record!". He laughed and said "thats nothing! The is actually the 10.5/1 motor out of my D car, I just switched the afb top for the dual holley top and dumped it in the car!" =D> :lol:
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He, He!!

A real fu*king ringer by me!!

He, He!!

pdq67
learner1

Post by learner1 »

Dave Wren was there with an SS/A car
Been awhile since I heard that name.
Old as Dirt
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Old as Dirt »

learner1 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:45 am
Dave Wren was there with an SS/A car
Been awhile since I heard that name.
Same here.. used to live about 6 blocks from him..
Buddy ended up buying a brand new Hemi Cuda from him after he pulled the 426 out for his race car, and threw his old SS 440 six pack in it..
Paid like 3200.00 for it.
We were young, just out of High school logging over on the penninsula.
Thing would shoot flames out the side dump exhaust.. some of the best days of our lives..