General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Grooved lifter bores V's EDM lifters?

Post by KnightEngines »

Pros & cons of each?

EDM lifters are getting pricey over here, if grooved lifter bores with normal solid flat tappet lifters achieves much the same job I think a few customers wouldn't mind saving the premium of EDM lifters.
Would also allow the use of edge orifice lifters to cut oil flow up top a little whilst still having the benefit of oil direct to the cam/lifter interface.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: Grooved lifter bores V's EDM lifters?

Post by pamotorman »

KnightEngines wrote:Pros & cons of each?

EDM lifters are getting pricey over here, if grooved lifter bores with normal solid flat tappet lifters achieves much the same job I think a few customers wouldn't mind saving the premium of EDM lifters.
Would also allow the use of edge orifice lifters to cut oil flow up top a little whilst still having the benefit of oil direct to the cam/lifter interface.
just take a std lifter and grind a .003 deep flat from the center recess to about .125 from the bottom of the lifter. this will allow oil to flow to the lifter/cam lobe interface
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

A grooved lifter bore works fine for the extra lubrication if done correctly.
No more than a .015" deep scratch from the oil gallery to the bottom of the bore is necessary.

EDM lifters do make the metal face of the lifter run a bit cooler if that would be a concern.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Now I do want to say that these comments are some GOOD SHIT!!

Thanks guys for posting them...

pdq67
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Gonna have to get me one of them comp cams lifter grooving tools I think.

Grinding a small flat on the lifters is something I've done before, only problem is consistency & the fact that the lifter is rotating, so most of the time the oil won't be getting fed into the right spot.
With a groove you can direct the oil to the lead in on the lobe/lifter interface, which seems preferable to me.

A mate showed me his lifter grooving tool a couple of months ago, looked dead easy to use & fast.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

if you do groove the lifter bores be sure to put grove on the leading side of the cam lobe
both on the same side of the motor instead of both on the inside or outside of the bore
if possible
problem is where the oil galleys are but grove on lifter will pass oil around to the slot
cheers
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Yeah, the oil galleries aren't on the right side on one bank - but I figure the band in the lifter will feed oil around to the groove no problem.
smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

Has anyone had a problem with low oil pressure hot at idle using the edm lifters in a Holden V8?
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

No more than usual for a holden!

Maybe a couple of PSI difference.

If you've got 15psi at idle & it comes up quick on the throttle it's fine.
it's nice to have a bit more - mine usually hot idle around 25-30psi with 20/50 oil, but all you really need at idle is flow.
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

Make sure you run a ball hone or something through the bore after you groove it with that tool Tony :wink:
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Yup, I got a little lifter bore dingleberry hone, I'll run that through.
Gonna have to do the 1st one by hand with a 3 corner file tho, can't get a grooving tool in the next few days & I got this holden to get together pretty soon - running edge orifice lifters & it'll be street driven so I'd like a little more oil on the lobes.
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

KnightEngines wrote:Yup, I got a little lifter bore dingleberry hone, I'll run that through.
Gonna have to do the 1st one by hand with a 3 corner file tho, can't get a grooving tool in the next few days & I got this holden to get together pretty soon - running edge orifice lifters & it'll be street driven so I'd like a little more oil on the lobes.
How quick do you need it?
I have one I can replace later if that helps,,
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

KnightEngines wrote:Yup, I got a little lifter bore dingleberry hone, I'll run that through.
I made my own,
just looked at the comp deign, thought that cant be too hard, made a Ford size too. stick the tool out .012"
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

pamotorman wrote:

just take a std lifter and grind a .003 deep flat from the center recess to about .125 from the bottom of the lifter. this will allow oil to flow to the lifter/cam lobe interface
I do same as above except I use a .005 flat with no problems , pretty easy to do with a surface grinder.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Baprace wrote:
pamotorman wrote:

I do same as above except I use a .005 flat with no problems , pretty easy to do with a surface grinder.
that is how mine were done on a surface grinder