General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by CGT »

Resized_20190317_195945.jpeg
Sealing SN all up. Close to 100 dyno pulls. Its finally making its way into my 65...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

C H A D,
good to hear getting her together,that malibu will be an animal on the street with the manual,are you using your 850 demon carb??
i think the demon is under rated,i have a 850 as well that i just went 1:1 linkage and transition slot jetting,i have not tested as of yet but have used the carb in the past and i like them.i would be interested when you get car on the street to hear your thoughts on driveability with the gearbox and clutch set up with that stout small block :D
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

steve cowan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm C H A D,
good to hear getting her together,that malibu will be an animal on the street with the manual,are you using your 850 demon carb??
i think the demon is under rated,i have a 850 as well that i just went 1:1 linkage and transition slot jetting,i have not tested as of yet but have used the carb in the past and i like them.i would be interested when you get car on the street to hear your thoughts on driveability with the gearbox and clutch set up with that stout small block :D
I no longer own the 850 demon. I tapped it for screw in bleeds but didnt mess with them on the dyno. It ran good wot but had some other issues, definitely could have used some work. It was not so great coming into the pulls.

I have a 1050 that Whitener tuned up for me for project overflowz and for dyno use, not very likely to use that on my malibu. I need to find or buy a good 4150 for it yet.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

CGT wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 pm I no longer own the 850 demon. I tapped it for screw in bleeds but didnt mess with them on the dyno. It ran good wot but had some other issues, definitely could have used some work. It was not so great coming into the pulls.

I have a 1050 that Whitener tuned up for me for project overflowz and for dyno use, not very likely to use that on my malibu. I need to find or buy a good 4150 for it yet.
I have had similar issues with my 850 Demon. It makes as good of power as many high end carbs, but for some reason it just can not come up clean. I keep telling myself that I am going to exorcise the demons out of it, but have not had the time/chance to work it over and figure out its quirks. I know it seems like a pain some times, but thanks for posting this stuff up. One thing I love about engine building is the true cause and effect. Whether you agree or disagree with something done on a build or tune, there will be results. Good or bad. It is our job to learn from what the results are telling us. It is not easy to argue with people over stuff like this, but in the end the results speak for themselves. Because of this and other threads I need to rethink some of the things that I "already know".

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

Where did you get that windage screen and baffle?
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

408 Nova wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:43 pm Where did you get that windage screen and baffle?
Jegs brand stuff made to work.
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

So this got run on the dyno again did it? Did it make 600?
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

paulzig wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:40 pm So this got run on the dyno again did it? Did it make 600?
lol...technically no, but ran real good. Was making 1.43 tq/cube with cam number 2, so it was on its way to eclipsing that. But several things kept that from happening. One being valvetrain control.

Cam 2 was extremely mean up until it wasn't anymore lol. I have some dyno data in excel format that I can send you. Shoot me a pm or something if your interested. Off memory I believe best pull was 580ish horsepower and either 510 or 514 torque. Cam 1, the original bullet cam made same horsepower...was stable up top but it was down on power throughout most of the range.

I put the original more stable Bullet cam back in the engine to go in the car. The extra power isn't worth the valvetrain bullshit that goes with it to me. I'm probably forgetting some things. I have all the data. Im more than willing to share it. It was a horrible dyno session in a lot of ways....I've almost blocked it from memory lol...nothing went right but ended up well after 2 days on there.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Comp QXI lobes in cam 2?
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

FC-Pilot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:15 am I know it seems like a pain some times, but thanks for posting this stuff up. One thing I love about engine building is the true cause and effect. Whether you agree or disagree with something done on a build or tune, there will be results.
Well I appreciate you saying that. There certainly isn't always good reason to share results. But, the truth is sometimes there is still some good input on things despite the current climate here.

As im sure you know, im certainly not trying to impose or push any idea set or product on anyone. This is not how i make a living and doing these kinds of things and dynoing adds up to some money. Some of the things shared would be better left unshared still, never know who you may be in competition with someday.

Fortunately other members didnt think this way and shared things that took a lot of time to figure out and validated their findings by testing . I figure i will be testing things anyway whether i share or not. So why not. When things go well i share, when they dont i still do. No less is learned from bad dyno sessions than good ones.

The accelerator pump linkage was junk on my demon. I bent and tweaked and shimmed...was never right and i couldnt see ever being happy with it so i let it be someone elses issue(thats how i acquired it lol) Its a shame. It ran with the Braswell wot, but no comparison otherwise....idle, transitions etc.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Resized_20190323_203305.jpg
Resized_20190323_214800.jpg
Resized_20190323_212153.jpg
For people that like the kitchen pics lol.
2yrs of off an on dynoing. Going in the car finally. 580hp 500lb pump gas 357 with a hyd roller. 232 252 110. What more could you want?

I guess this is nearing the ending of the thread. Big learning on this one as always.. Killer signature series heads made it what it is. Time to move on.....project Overflow(z) next.

Ive been contemplating on getting the Ls project making good power and selling it to fund getting the 65 the way i want. Thanks everyone who has contributed and given input and advice......not everyone has one of these...thanks Randy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Resized_20190323_224142_001.jpg
Now this...
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

.....sorry may have done a duplicate. Lol. Love those IPA's. Lol
Rimmo

Post by Rimmo »

This was a great thread. Congrats...
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Rimmo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:13 am This was a great thread. Congrats...
Amazing; over 100 k views! You've founded a dynasty CGT! =D>
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.