Keeping aluminum from sticking to carbide burrs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Keeping aluminum from sticking to carbide burrs

Post by BOOT »

I use plain cheap bar soap, some other stuff may work better but I don't port enough. Leave the soap in the package, just burn thru it on the side you use. I also use a stock sbc crank timing gear to run the burr on to unload it up if I don't soap it enough, between the teeth works well. My alum burrs are old and I prob need some new ones but I'm not doing it for a living and as long as they cut.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
farmengines

Post by farmengines »

I use WD40.
gofaster
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gofaster »

I use Mondello Posi Flow 2000 Aluminum. If I'm out of that I use WD 40 but I like the Mondello oil best. I have also tried Kool Mist. It works good but makes a wet mess in the porting bench area, which is already a wet mess! I have been wanting to build a porting bench like the one that forum member "Hotz" built, but I am always too busy to take the time to do it.
Jim McMahon
Heads1st
http://www.heads1st.com/
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

Any number of cutting/sawing waxes work well. They are not cheap, but last a long time and are made specifically for cutting use. This is the one I use, it is useful when cutting aluminum plate too. I bet it could be found for less.

http://www.grainger.com/product/LPS-Edge-Lube-4KK73
- Paul
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

engineguyBill wrote:WD40 will help keep the burrs clean.
That is what I do. I just spray on some WD40 every now and then.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

BRauscher wrote:Anybody know of any tricks or a product that will keep aluminum from loading up on my carbide burrs when porting? I am using the burrs for aluminum.
Thanks!
Use kerosene (parafin as we call it) or maybe while spirit.
Very cheap and work wonders. Guaranteed
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
oldjohnno
Pro
Pro

Post by oldjohnno »

Just be aware that some of the products designed for hand tapping can give off dangerous fumes when used with high speed tools. We expose ourselves to enough stuff already that may bite us twenty years from now without adding more. Be safe and use something designed for the job, and manage the smoke and fumes.
Perfectionism is the enemy of actually getting shit done.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

oldjohnno wrote:Just be aware that some of the products designed for hand tapping can give off dangerous fumes when used with high speed tools. We expose ourselves to enough stuff already that may bite us twenty years from now without adding more. Be safe and use something designed for the job, and manage the smoke and fumes.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I think I tried about everything from wax, to Mondello oil to WD 40. Didn't like the last two because of the fumes. For the last 10 years I've been using regular engine oil with a wire brush. Works good and not too messy. What material the oil doesn't prevent from sticking gets taken out with the wire brush.
Joe Facciano
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I like to use no stick cooking spray like the Pam mentioned earlier. It works good and it doesn't make a mess.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

x3 on tap magic. Made for cutting and doesnt seem to load up.
If youre a WD or trans fluid etc user try it youll be pleased
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

JoePorting wrote:I think I tried about everything from wax, to Mondello oil to WD 40. Didn't like the last two because of the fumes. For the last 10 years I've been using regular engine oil with a wire brush. Works good and not too messy. What material the oil doesn't prevent from sticking gets taken out with the wire brush.
So Joe, the wax didn't work for you?
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Yeah, didn't like the wax. Maybe I wasn't using it right, but it seemed really messy. I might have to try the Pam idea.
Joe Facciano
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

pcnsd wrote:Any number of cutting/sawing waxes work well. They are not cheap, but last a long time and are made specifically for cutting use. This is the one I use, it is useful when cutting aluminum plate too. I bet it could be found for less.

http://www.grainger.com/product/LPS-Edge-Lube-4KK73
I had to go look :roll: . Grainger is $28 a 13 oz tube plus shipping. Searching for "lps edge lube" on amazon.com, I found a single tube for $20 with free shipping, and a case of 10 for $150+5 shipping. The active ingredient in cooking sprays like Pam is lecithin, which is also the active ingredient in weld antispatter so one can can do double duty :) .
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

oldjohnno wrote:Just be aware that some of the products designed for hand tapping can give off dangerous fumes when used with high speed tools. We expose ourselves to enough stuff already that may bite us twenty years from now without adding more. Be safe and use something designed for the job, and manage the smoke and fumes.
Expanding on this just a little; drawn from the MSDS of one tapping fluid:
Sulfur compounds in this material may decompose when heated to release hydrogen sulfide gas
which may accumulate to potentially lethal concentrations in enclosed air spaces. Vapor
concentrations of hydrogen sulfide above 50 ppm, or prolonged exposure at lower concentrations,
may saturate human odor perceptions so that the smell of gas may not be apparent. Exposure to
concentrations of hydrogen sulfide vapor above 500 ppm may cause rapid death. Do not rely on
the sense of smell to detect hydrogen sulfide.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg