land rover sleeve drop

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

machinedave
Guru
Guru
Re: land rover sleeve drop

Post by machinedave »

Looks like I am going to pressure check the block to see where it is leaking. It will be very easy with just two deck coolant passages and the water pump to block off. Questions for those of you that have installed the top hat sleeve. What press fit are you running and do you have a manufacturer and part number for the sleeve? I know I can have Melling make me a custom sleeve but thought I would see what you guys have liked first. Thanks.
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

You'll need to pressure test the block at least 100 lbs, I've had them not show any leakage with lower pressures. The ones I've repaired with a straight wall with welding got whatever Melling sleeve gave me .070" wall IIRC. One tophat job I did was with customer supplied sleeves, don't remember the supplier but the other was LA Sleeve, "Rover 1" for the 94mm bore. You may want to call Advanced Sleeve, they might have them also. One thing to consider is if the adjacent cylinders are getting bored or not. I give .002-.003 press in aluminum, with .003-.005 clearance on the flange, and that press will affect adjoining cylinders even though the center to center is fairly wide for the bore size. I'd hate to go less than that in alum but maybe you could if using some locktite perhaps.
williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Post by williamsmotowerx »

I've always wanted a Range Rover, but was scared to buy one because of these problems.

Apparently a fix was to install a BMW engine. I'm going off old memory, what was the difference of the BMW engine (5 series of same era ?) That basically was the same block with some minor differences?
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

williamsmotowerx wrote:I've always wanted a Range Rover, but was scared to buy one because of these problems.

Apparently a fix was to install a BMW engine. I'm going off old memory, what was the difference of the BMW engine (5 series of same era ?) That basically was the same block with some minor differences?
The BMW V8 has no relation to the GM/Rover motor. BMW started making V8's back in the early 50's, I did the machine work for one that was in a 1957 507, a beautiful 2 seater convertible that BMW would rent from the owner to use at shows and they also would rent his late 30's 328 for the same thing and they also used that car in print ads for the 318 convertible. We have a 1950's BMW sedan in our showroom right now with this same V8. Rover has been using the BMW V8's (early 20000's?) since phasing out the GM based motor.
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

As I talked to the customer about potential repairs he started counting dollars and he has decided to give up on this engine. Thanks guys for all the replies.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

The problem i have seen is not any leaks, but the same old problem that always happens with a press-fit iron liner; they shift around, lose press, and eventually get coked oil under. Rings lose seal as it goes out of shape or keeps moving around. I don't see how you'd have a compression leak, as the gasket does not appear to sit on the liner.

It would be a terrible idea to have the gasket sit on the liner when you have it stepped in on the bottom, as as the engine heats up the difference of expansion would let it drop down about .004"
To have the gasket sit on the liner you have to hang it from the top with a flanged sleeve.
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

I suggest remove sleeve , check carefully for crack(s). If none engine likely overheated ? Steps near bottom of bore do not retain in proper location ? If no cracks, clean bore and od. of. sleeve thoroughly, Reinstall, "upside-down", per Fred Key(Wizard), using Loctite "sleeve retaining compound". Good Luck, Art.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

never did a land rover but doing air cooled 2 stroke dirt bike sleeves I cut shallow grooves on the OD and filled them with red Loctite before pressing them in. did it help who knows but they never sunk
dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams »

You can run a bolt through the side below the water jacket if you want to make sure the sleeve won't go anywhere.
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

dwilliams wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:16 am You can run a bolt through the side below the water jacket if you want to make sure the sleeve won't go anywhere.
As hack as that sounds, I know of one Rover guru who does this.