Road Race Carbureted Ls1 Dry sump

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ctk30

Re: Road Race Carbureted Ls1 Dry sump

Post by ctk30 »

It's a dry sump, which apparently makes it even dumber to put baffles in

I think I'll just put a shelf around the outside so oil cant easily splash up during braking, cornering and accelerating and and the left side pickup and call it a day

I also will probably get the canton screen windage tray
k1ob.com
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Perhaps Kevin Johnson will weigh in (or you could PM him). He has more than passing knowledge of pan baffles, screens, scrapers, etc..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Canton makes excellent products.

Make sure your holding tank is large enough and has good deaerating action. (I am gathering that you may have decided to just use the dry sump pan as a dry sump pan.)
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

I have a pretty large tank, it's the typical 4-5 gallon tank found in stock cars. It came in the car, not too sure of specifics
k1ob.com
ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

Going solid roller

Going to get these morels or the lunatti lifters since they are a littler cheaper and the same thing

http://morel-lifters.com/ls1-sportsman- ... er-lifter/

Mike Jones reccomeneded this cam, will be sending out the check monday

R73365-75365-110
240/246 @.050"
.365"/.365" Lobe Lift
110 LSA

my pac 1905 springs have a max lift of .650 and the cam is .657, need to look into this more
SR73365
268° advertised
241°at .050
.657 lift w/ 1.8

SR75365
276°advertised
246°at .050
.657 lift w/ 1.8
Also ordered the unidirectional screen and will be adding it to the oil pan and not adding the extra pickup

What size headers do you guys think would be ideal?
k1ob.com
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

You might want to look into the Isky (and now other[Crower?]) bushed (non-needle roller) lifters. Much reading here: search.php?keywords=solid+rollers+on+th ... mit=Search

Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Post by Rizzle »

ctk30 wrote:
my pac 1905 springs have a max lift of .650 and the cam is .657, need to look into this more

Also ordered the unidirectional screen and will be adding it to the oil pan and not adding the extra pickup

What size headers do you guys think would be ideal?
The PAC numbers Here indicate open load @ .675" lift, and coil bind at .780". Open load rating of spring rate * .675 +seat = listed open load, seems like possibly a typo max lift wise. Regardless, if the rest of the spring specs match your needs, I don't see how that .007 theoretical max lift will prevent them from working.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Also, 0.657" is gross lift; net will be ~ 0.640"...

ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

I had noticed that the max lift was way far from the bind also, so the springs shouldn't be an issue

As far as getting solid bushing lifters, I'm not sure I need them. I've read of people having success with the morel 5452's. My spring pressure will be relatively low also at around 425 open

The solid lifters are .600 shorter than oem, I have two sets of pushrods now for the stock length so I can't use those

The pushrod will be around 8" long now, so I figure I need 3/8 .080 wall

I need to machine out the guide plates now also as they are for 5/16 push rods

The snowball effect is real
k1ob.com
ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

I think I found a pretty big problem

I thought my pistons were 4032, but I think are actually 2618

I have 3.5 thousandths clearance right now, what should I run with the 2618?
k1ob.com
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

if probe's instruction sheet is similar to Wiseco, then .0035 for 2618 is what they would say. Your bore is what 3.902-05 ?
too lazy to make power w/o boost
ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

Which way does this unidirectional screen go?

Going to put it in like budlight cardboard. Going to make a solid piece in between the tubes and bolt the screen there also

k1ob.com
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Looking at the front crank pulley dead-on with the engine upright on a stand or in the car, the crankshaft rotates (in your engine) clockwise. The screening needs to be laid in the pan so that the crown or raised part/edge of the opening is up and facing to the right. So as the crankshaft turns, the openings act like a cheese grater to strip away oil droplets.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

Thanks Kevin,

When you set it up how you said, would I benefit from putting the screen closer to the crank or to keep the screen like I have now to help control the oil movement in the pan. At that point am i better off with a windage tray from you or canton?

Now my next question, just thinking out loud

If I put on a crank scraper would it be more beneficial to have it set up to catch oil coming down from the scrapper. This pan is 4" deep and the screen will be relatively far from the crank. My other thought was to aim the screen so that the oil would have to climb vertically to get out of the area with the pickups and hopefully help keep the oil in there. For both of these solutions it would basically mean setting it in the opposite direction as you said.

Just my thoughts, no experience to back it up, and its probably wrong

edit: after some searching I realized thats your crank scraper

What do you think of adding some small strips, maybe 1/2" to aim the oil towards the pick ups?

Also what about some small maybe 1" in the front and the back of the pan to keep oil from sloshing up under acceleration or braking

k1ob.com
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

ctk30 wrote:Thanks Kevin,

When you set it up how you said, would I benefit from putting the screen closer to the crank or to keep the screen like I have now to help control the oil movement in the pan. At that point am i better off with a windage tray from you or canton?
The large volume of the boxed lower sump with asymmetric placement of the suction tube openings (so far as I can see?) will allow accumulation of some varying and shifting/splashing volume of oil in a road race car. That is not such a good idea.

I understand why you want to attach the screening at a slant but remember that the function of the screening will disappear when it is flooded with shifting oil. It might be better and simpler to fabricate a full perimeter border for a large flat rectangular piece of screening to completely cover the sump. Use the border to attach it to the sump floor. It would probably be wise to use removable fasteners. Perhaps lift or space the border up to allow draining oil to flow into the sump without flooding the margin areas. Make sure you add cross strips of metal beneath the frame to impede any paneling or flexing of the large screen surface from the pulsing air flow in and between bays.

Screening will dampen splashes and allow expelled droplets to pass through but will not stop steady flow/pressure of migrating oil volumes from beneath. Windage tray construction/function can have diametrically opposed demands.

A windage cloud will form -- I do not think a three stage system will develop appreciable crankcase depression but I could easily be mistaken -- ask the pump manufacturer about their efficiency. A scraper would help in reducing the amount or equilibrium level of entrained oil in the cloud.