Vizard's secret '128' cam spec # revealed

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Racedad

Re: Vizard's secret '128' cam spec # revealed

Post by Racedad »

He wrote that piece 10 years ago,maybe he has changed his thinking.

But 128 minus(CID/Valve Diameter) comes close to fitting that old graph and for a standing out in the shop type of calculation would be easy to calculate. In the 8th grade when up to date on Algebra I could have given the formula to fit it exactly but it would seem to be a bit too much figurirn' for a "rule of thumb".

It also lines up with my personal experience in that we run better on the track with far tighter LSA than either Dynomation or 99% of the Comp Cams stuff. Years ago I tried designing circle track cam timing using Dynomation and Jerry at Schneider Cams talked me out of it.I'm glad he did we always run strong with his cam recommendation.
Voodoo Skunkworks Racing
Johnwesley

Post by Johnwesley »

RevTheory wrote:
panic wrote:I just wrote an .xls worksheet using that concept:
128 - (cubic inches per cylinder / intake valve diameter x.91)
and the numbers don't line up very well with the line on the chart.
Did you leave that part out?

Thats puts out a very readable LSA of 107 for my app. Which is 1* more that the old chart.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Warp Speed wrote:598ci
2.400in valve

98* LSA?

If this is a BBC it needs a correction to cater for the canted/incline valves.
Wait for the article and you will get the whole story instead of fragments that could be misleading.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

With ALL due respect to David's experience, something doesn't add up with the formula. Some of it is spot on for a specific combination yet keeping the same "valve" constant and reducing cubic inches suggests a wider lsa which is not right by my 50+ years of experience. The cylinder head flow capability (or lack of) has to be a factor here.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

piston guy wrote:With ALL due respect to David's experience, something doesn't add up with the formula. Some of it is spot on for a specific combination yet keeping the same "valve" constant and reducing cubic inches suggests a wider lsa which is not right by my 50+ years of experience. The cylinder head flow capability (or lack of) has to be a factor here.
Is it really max cyl head flow that matters, or low (<0.100") lift flow that is really important? Since the formula uses valve size and not peak port CFM, I guess I was assuming that what happens a low valve lifts has more influence on LSA selection than peak flow capacity. I'd love to hear more on this.

After reading and re-reading David's various writings on cam selection, I picked a 108 LSA for my recent 355 ci mild street build and chose overlap per David's charts. I was nervous about the 108 LSA, as I feared poor mpg, stinky rough idle, narrow powerband, lousy driveability, etc. You know - all the bad stuff magazines / cam companies typically preach about tight LSA's in street cars.

Now that it is running, I am 100% a believer in David's methods. My 355 drives great, gets good mpg, makes plenty of vacuum, has a broad powerband, and pulls like a freight train compared to engines I've run with similar duration on a 112-114.
bmcdaniel
Pro
Pro

Post by bmcdaniel »

Maybe I missed it, is the formula only intended for carbed engines?
roadrunner
Pro
Pro

Post by roadrunner »

bmcdaniel wrote:Maybe I missed it, is the formula only intended for carbed engines?
No, it would work for injected fuel systems too. I purchased Davids book "how to build horsepower", selecting a cam is covered in 2 chapters, and now I know why half of my "performance builds" didn't perform (wrong LSA). Best money I ever spent.
Life's too short to not run a supercharger!
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

panic wrote:An aside: IIRC the Mini book contains a calculation and chart for the LSA, but uses the area of the intake valve (not the diameter) vs. displacement, all in metric.

I revised my .xls to round the LSA to the nearest 1/2 degree (.5), it uses sliders to input intake valve OD, engine displacement in inches, and number of cylinders, and provides LSA (as 128 - ratio as discussed) without correction factor. E-mail me for a free copy.
panic,
Due to the Siamese ports on a Mini engine (2 intakes and 3 exhausts) the 4 cylinders concerned need different timing for every cylinder. That means the 128 deal just won't work here.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

OK guys,
Some bad news but only sort of because it's fixable.

The publisher won't put up the article for you all to read and I don't think any further persuasive efforts on my part will convince him otherwise. That's the bad news.
Offsetting that is I have decided, due to the big interest here, to basically re-write the article and post it here.

This is going to take a while and it looks like time constraints (building my 427 SB Ford and doing book work) will mean I have to do it a little at a time so it may take about 4 days to do the whole lot.
How does that all sound?
DV
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

Sounds good, Thanks for doing that for us.
Johnwesley

Post by Johnwesley »

I think it's great, it will probably take me more than 4 days to digest it and get some understanding. That for the work to get it to us.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

beyond and above.
Best automotive tech author there ever was.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I sure wish that UDHarold was still with us! He would fit right in here, imho.

pdq67
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

I used to buy a lot from Harold when he was Ultradyne. First time I called for a cam for my FE, I was on the phone with him for over an hour. He was really good to talk to.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

I should probably wait for Mr. Vizard to publish his revisedd article but I'm curious if the 128 only calculates th suggested LSA or if it's also calculating open/close points or any other specs as it seems LSA by itself is rather lacking.
A 240/244 on a 106 is a completely different cam than a 239/254 on a 106
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary