General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Dart Little M top end oiling? SBC

Post by FC-Pilot »

Brian W wrote:
Racing68 wrote:Last 4 builds with Morels i had to grind a slot. These were all .904 with bushings in the block.
How wide and how deep are the slots? Have a picture?
If anybody has pics that would be great. I just put together and Little M build with Morel hydraulic rollers and would like to know what to do in case I run into an issue. Thanks.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I hate these threads that end in mystery.
Jim
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

In similar threads where there was a resolution, the problem was found to be tight lifter bore clearance when using solid lifters with edge orifice oiling. Solution is: honing lifter bores ~+.0005; switch to different lifters that are ~.0005 smaller; or grinding the slot connecting the oil band to the oiling hole in the lifter.

Hydraulic lifters of any sort aren't affected as they don't depend on lifter bore clearance to oil the pushrods, oil comes through the internal piddle valve supplied by a hole located in the oil band on the lifter.
DON'T PANIC
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Ironically I was just reading a thread about this exact thing yesterday. There may be some usable info in it. They give specs on maximum groove size and there are pics, as well.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56998&start=90
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I see it now thanks.
Jim