Lunati voodoo solid roller camshaft ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Monza355
Expert
Expert
Lunati voodoo solid roller camshaft ?

Post by Monza355 »

Does anyone here know for sure if the solid roller Lunati Voodoo camshaft 's for small Chevy are ground on a billet or cast core ?

I know they at least we're ground on a billet core once. But I have heard they did at some time change to a cast core !

I'we called Lunati two times about this and have gotten both answers. So I feel like I would have better luck asking about here on this knowledgeable forum.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Lunati voodoo solid roller camshaft ?

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Monza355 wrote:Does anyone here know for sure if the solid roller Lunati Voodoo camshaft 's for small Chevy are ground on a billet or cast core ?

I know they at least we're ground on a billet core once. But I have heard they did at some time change to a cast core !

I'we called Lunati two times about this and have gotten both answers. So I feel like I would have better luck asking about here on this knowledgeable forum.
I know that some are ground on the same type induction hardened steel cores as GM puts in their hydraulic roller cam engines from the factory.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Enigma
Pro
Pro

Post by Enigma »

I know when Harold (rip) used to promote them, they were ALL ground on a billet core and had pressed on iron gears. I ordered the 60234 (they've since changed the part numbers) and it showed up billet core, NO iron gear. I called Steve at lunati and he informed me that they'd changed their policy such that you had to specifically order the iron gear.......and pay extra for it (although the price didn't drop any when they stopped putting the iron gear on all of them). So be aware of that. I thought it was pretty sketchy of them to do that without telling anyone, after they'd been touted for years as "all being billet steel with pressed on iron gears". They are VERY good cams, though.
greywolf
Expert
Expert

Post by greywolf »

Enigma wrote:I know when Harold (rip) used to promote them, they were ALL ground on a billet core and had pressed on iron gears. I ordered the 60234 (they've since changed the part numbers) and it showed up billet core, NO iron gear. I called Steve at lunati and he informed me that they'd changed their policy such that you had to specifically order the iron gear.......and pay extra for it (although the price didn't drop any when they stopped putting the iron gear on all of them). So be aware of that. I thought it was pretty sketchy of them to do that without telling anyone, after they'd been touted for years as "all being billet steel with pressed on iron gears". They are VERY good cams, though.
Same issue in 2013.
When I turned 47 years old, I entered into my 5th decade of drag racing.
runawy9

Post by runawy9 »

I have two of them. One is billet and one is cast core.
I believe it's a toss up if you order without specifying which one you want.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

runawy9 wrote:I have two of them. One is billet and one is cast core.
If you don't ask or don't specify when you order don't you kinda deserve what you get?

So what is the difference in cost?

cast core? $$$?

billet core? $$$?

billet core with cast gear added? $$$?

Custom grind change in LSA ? $$$ ? same solid voodoo lobes

Smaller base circle diameter grind for stroker motor rod clearance ??? $$$ ?

Does Lunati spec a different valve spring seat/open pressure if a cast core is used?
bigfoot584
Pro
Pro

Post by bigfoot584 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:
If you don't ask or don't specify when you order don't you kinda deserve what you get?

cast core? $$$?

billet core? $$$?

Does Lunati spec a different valve spring seat/open pressure if a cast core is used?
This is funny. =D>
F-bird I've got buddy you'd like, he's always getting burned by his own stupidity,
they should have known what I wanted :roll: , when it don't fit or run like it should, it
should've fit dammit. #-o
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Imho, this crap has been going on about as long as the f** "3/4" cam deal!!

You know..................

Buy your 1st cam, -- TOO big!!

Buy your 2nd cam, -- TOO small!!

3rd cam, RIGHT on the money!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT three cams were sold!!

And even though Harold is gone, you still can't go wrong with a UDHarold cam.

pdq67
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

Of course it should be clear on what core these cams are made of and any changes that are made to the line of cams should be advertised so the buyer knows what he's buying and the sales people know what they are selling.

They cost as much as a Lunati off the shelf racing camshaft that's on a billet core with distributor gear that's compatible with bronze gear. So in my opinion it should at least be on the same core as them regarding the price you have to pay to get one of the Voodoo series solid roller camshaft !

And no I don't agree that it's the buyers fault for not begin aware that you should have to ask for it specifically to have it on a billet core with cast gear option when it has only been advertised that way.
Chipster

Post by Chipster »

This might be one of those deals where you have to take matters in your own hands.
Order the lobes, type of core, and lobe separation you desire so you know what you're getting!

I agree all the mystery is BS to order a shelf cam. New stock, old stock, this lobe on that core, that lobe on this core,
conflicting info from the sales dept, etc, etc.

At the very least have them pull one off the shelf and LOOK before they send it!

I hope you can make it all work out, It was so nice when Harold took care of the details.
runawy9

Post by runawy9 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:
runawy9 wrote:I have two of them. One is billet and one is cast core.

cast core? $$$?

billet core? $$$?

These cams are shelf grinds.
They both cost me the same.
One was billet and one was cast.