Hydraulic roller lifter technical question COMP..MOREL ???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ozmuscleowner

Hydraulic roller lifter technical question COMP..MOREL ???

Post by ozmuscleowner »

Ok so I want to put some hydraulic roller lifters in my big block chev

I understand that they valve train is very heavy compared to say LS engines, so I know I need a good quality roller lifter...OR do I....?

So my supplier in Australia tells me that I need to purchase Morel Pro Hydraulic Lifters , this engine is a 454 chev, 249,256 At 50 hydraulic roller with109 degress LSA He said with the pro hydraulic lifters I can run 150-180 on the seat and up to 380 ish on the nose

I can get a set of new Comp roller lifters not the short travel ones for about $350 AUD (from a guy who purchased the wrong ones)whereas the Morels @$1000 AUD..brand new...(yes $650 is cheap insurance but why spend it there)

I was going to use the Comp Short Travels, ship them in from Summit racing or wherever for about the $800 AUD mark,, but one of my suppliers has told me to stay away from them, he said they are very hard to set up use a 0-30 oil...(in a big block chev???) then I get scared,.... too light an oil grade for a street engine

Can anybody help me ??

28 years in the trade as a mechanic and performance engine builder makes me question the whole of what I really need, I have used Howard s(morels) in small blocks as retrofits and no problems but the 3/8 valve and heavy valve train of the Big block has sent me here to ask you guys with way more experience than I have here.....

Can anybody shed some light, what do I use... I want to turn the engine no more than 6500 to 7000 rpm.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Hydraulic roller lifter technical question COMP..MOREL ?

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Personally, in my opinion after using several sets of all of 'em over the years ... The "short travel" Comps are pretty decent but, I would definitely stay away from their normal full travel hydraulic roller lifters, if you have a choice.

You will get what you pay for here...
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Run the morels and you'll most likely need closer to 180-200 lbs seat and 450-500 open depening how high you plan on revving and what valvesize

Morels will handle that. If morel makes a hi performance version thats not limited travel like they do for the sbc they will work fine.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

If you want the Morel quality without paying for the name then you may want to talk to Doug Herbert http://www.herbertcams.com/hydraulic-roller/
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
ozmuscleowner

Post by ozmuscleowner »

I know there are only two manufacturers in the world that make them, except for the obvious chinese copies, but I mean the ones that most engine builders will use not the average joe that doesn't know better., ill look at the Herberts later, thanks for that..

I'm still steering towards the Morels as I think if I had a lifter failure its going to cost more than the difference in price anyway..

Has anybody used the short travel comps...simply as I have reads a few Hot Rod magazine etc etc articles on them??.....did you have any luck??

or do I just use the Pro Hydraulics morels
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have used the Comp Cams stuff with no problems what so ever. Maybe I am the only one out there.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

cstraub wrote:
GARY C wrote:If you want the Morel quality without paying for the name then you may want to talk to Doug Herbert http://www.herbertcams.com/hydraulic-roller/
Doesn't really matter who you buy it from they are getting a well made lifter. Now after the sale comes customer support and tech advice. That's worth it to some people.
I have never had an issue with service after the sell and was actually impressed that more than one time the owner of the company was the one who took my call. I used to deal with Chet's side of the business before his passing, on custom grinds they would connect you directly to the cam grinder who would give you his cell phone number so that you could have direct contact with him. Probably one of the few men you will meet that actually has a cam grinder in his home garage.

I just thought that because the OP referenced price several times and was looking at dealing with Summit that maybe he would like to know that Herberts lifters are Morel without the name and the extra cost. Is the name on the box really worth $126.00?
Last edited by GARY C on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

who makes comps long
who makes comps short
any vendor changes
X2 on dealing with Herbert, but then I'm prejudiced
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

wyrmrider wrote:X2 on dealing with Herbert, but then I'm prejudiced
For or Against?
Just curious what your experience was?
Please Note!
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I worked with Chet for many years Always a straightshooter
backed off after Lefty got killed testing tires at San Gabriel
but I've also had custom cams done by Ed Winfield, - Racer Brown and Isky for the 413 superstocker (early 60's) and others
ozmuscleowner

Post by ozmuscleowner »

Ok... so I have looked up the Herbert lifters.
Interesting their 7500 rpm lifter says they can run huge spring pressure... and they have to use 20-50W oil minimum.
The big pressure valve spring seems to make me think that it may suffer similar problems to a solid roller. Where lifter failure when idling for too long on the street is a cause of failure.
Maybe their 7000 rpm ones will work. I'll call them I think.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

ozmuscleowner wrote:Ok... so I have looked up the Herbert lifters.
Interesting their 7500 rpm lifter says they can run huge spring pressure... and they have to use 20-50W oil minimum.
The big pressure valve spring seems to make me think that it may suffer similar problems to a solid roller. Where lifter failure when idling for too long on the street is a cause of failure.
Maybe their 7000 rpm ones will work. I'll call them I think.
4603 http://johncalliesinc.com/product.php?ProductNo=4603
4603 http://www.herbertcams.com/7-000rpm-bb- ... r-lifters/
My understanding is that Hyd Rollers tend to be more stable with thicker oils I don't know why that would be an issue with something that is controlled by oil? There are several threads her dealing with oil for Hyd Roller lifters alone.
4795 http://johncalliesinc.com/product.php?ProductNo=4795
4795 http://www.herbertcams.com/7500-rpm-bb- ... r-lifters/
Please Note!
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

I've had good success running morel 4602 sbc lifters with 10w-40 weights. 2.10" valve not as heavy as bbc but it turned 7200 rpm under 30 psi boost no problem with a .640" hyd roller. I dont think it needs any heavier oil
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

The comp lifters will work for you. If you think the Morel are the way to go; they are well made with very good quality control. It is your money and for piece of mind go with what is the best way for you. Steve
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

ozmuscleowner wrote:I know there are only two manufacturers in the world that make them, except for the obvious chinese copies, but I mean the ones that most engine builders will use not the average joe that doesn't know better., ill look at the Herberts later, thanks for that..

I'm still steering towards the Morels as I think if I had a lifter failure its going to cost more than the difference in price anyway..

Has anybody used the short travel comps...simply as I have reads a few Hot Rod magazine etc etc articles on them??.....did you have any luck??

or do I just use the Pro Hydraulics morels

Is Shaver Specialties the other one?