General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 515 BBC Build/Straub/Foxwell

Post by GuysMonteSS »

vortecpro wrote:
Bob Hollinshead wrote:that's a big hydraulic roller!
The question is.......is it big enough?
Is this built to take full advantage of a vacuum pump ??
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

My guess is based on the fact the original engine was down about 5% on power from hard usage and the new changes will add about 130hp. That puts the new number at about 915HP in my "guess-o- meter"
The camshaft will be the big determiner. A little bigger solid roller would probably yield about 940HP depending on fuel. I sure that anything in the nines will call for a beer! Best of luck!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
dtrubey

Post by dtrubey »

Everyone involved was pretty happy. This was the last pull with everything cooled off and on MS109. Looks to me like with more jet, it would have gone over 900 without a problem. =D>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
70 Chevelle - 3300#
NA 511...
Straub, Foxwell, HBR
Killerrons
1.29, 5.83@118.42, (9.24/25 @ 144+)
http://www.crazydaveyracing.com
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Based on those A/F's I think if they had been around 12.75 to 13.0 my guess-o-meter guess of 915HP might have been spot on. Nice work! Get those jets out so you don't burn that motha down!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
dtrubey

Post by dtrubey »

Newold1 wrote:Based on those A/F's I think if they had been around 12.75 to 13.0 my guess-o-meter guess of 915HP might have been spot on. Nice work! Get those jets out so you don't burn that motha down!
I think you'd be the winner! It was dyno'd in Colorado Springs and will race at Woodburn in Oregon, so it will be rejetted for sure!
70 Chevelle - 3300#
NA 511...
Straub, Foxwell, HBR
Killerrons
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

dtrubey wrote:
Newold1 wrote:Based on those A/F's I think if they had been around 12.75 to 13.0 my guess-o-meter guess of 915HP might have been spot on. Nice work! Get those jets out so you don't burn that motha down!
I think you'd be the winner! It was dyno'd in Colorado Springs and will race at Woodburn in Oregon, so it will be rejetted for sure!
My 1150 test dominator was tuned for max power. The owners carb a 1050 dominator was running in the 13.5 range and was down on power quite a bit, my air turbine was calibrated by SF, but I'm not sure its perfectly accurate, all that matters is I know where the engines run the best on my setup and I'm sure I got every thing there was to get. 740s HP to 890 right around 150 HP gain on the same dyno. Car should run 147 MPH @ 3600 pounds.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Foxwell and Straub work together a lot. Vortecpro (Mark) is known for expert machining, assembly and tuning.
I doubt anything was left on the table regarding tune-up/power. (Regardless of what the a/f metering indicated)
Very nice combo.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
dtrubey

Post by dtrubey »

vortecpro wrote:
dtrubey wrote:
My 1150 test dominator was tuned for max power. The owners carb a 1050 dominator was running in the 13.5 range and was down on power quite a bit, my air turbine was calibrated by SF, but I'm not sure its perfectly accurate, all that matters is I know where the engines run the best on my setup and I'm sure I got every thing there was to get. 740s HP to 890 right around 150 HP gain on the same dyno. Car should run 147 MPH @ 3600 pounds.
Mark, as my wife reminds me.... no matter what I say, it comes out wrong. :) I didn't mean that you left anything on the table. I meant that it will for sure make over 900hp at Woodburn and a 29.90 baro.

Now, does the AFR read different at altitude? The old motor at Woodburn ran best about 13.0. I know it'll be more about going richer until it slows down instead of the gauge. But need to know where to start. The old motor and carb loved fuel.
70 Chevelle - 3300#
NA 511...
Straub, Foxwell, HBR
Killerrons
Old as Dirt
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Old as Dirt »

Congrats.. turned out very nice.. I guessed 840HP @ 6250.. made more up higher, but was right there at that RPM level.. Seems VortecPro exceeded expectations again.. :notworthy:
dtrubey

Post by dtrubey »

Last edited by dtrubey on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70 Chevelle - 3300#
NA 511...
Straub, Foxwell, HBR
Killerrons
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

Dal
Disregard what the hat A/F reads on the dyno, any dyno. Do not get wrapped up in the fallacy of a perfect A/F number when it comes to power.
It is almost useless to anyone but the person that knows the dyno on a sweep test due to the way the information is gathered
You are reading air in pretty much real time but you are measuring fuel that is replacing the fuel in the bowl not what is being mixed with the air
Lambda is a different deal but even then I use the numbers to pick a direction not as a set in stone power number
Your last sentence says it all,,, you jet for power or MPH not a magical number :)
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
dtrubey

Post by dtrubey »

Wolfplace wrote:Dal
Disregard what the hat A/F reads on the dyno, any dyno. Do not get wrapped up in the fallacy of a perfect A/F number when it comes to power.
It is almost useless to anyone but the person that knows the dyno on a sweep test due to the way the information is gathered
You are reading air in pretty much real time but you are measuring fuel that is replacing the fuel in the bowl not what is being mixed with the air
Lambda is a different deal but even then I use the numbers to pick a direction not as a set in stone power number
Your last sentence says it all,,, you jet for power or MPH not a magical number :)
Thanks Mike. I know Mark knows his stuff for sure and certainly wasn't trying to say he didn't do his job. Also, I don't know crap about the dyno sensors and just assumed it's an O2 sensor that we use in the collector only. I know those are bogus too. Thanks for the explanation.
70 Chevelle - 3300#
NA 511...
Straub, Foxwell, HBR
Killerrons
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The fuel flow and B.S.A.C. data on the dyno printout strongly suggests that measured fuel and air flow were used for AFR nunbers.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

What ever happened with this build?
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

bob460 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:07 pm What ever happened with this build?
The car went on to run 9.04 @ 148 @ 3580 NA 10 inch tire. The owner died of cancer, the car was given to his friend, the friend ran the car for a few years, and now the engine is back at Straubs for a rebuild/new engine.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.