Comp cams extreme 4x4 cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Comp cams extreme 4x4 cams

Post by travis »

What makes these cams supposedly better for 4x4 applications? The 8* split seems counter intuitive to low end torque production, as does the 111* lsa. Any ideas?
RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Comp cams extreme 4x4 cams

Post by RevTheory »

I've always had a problem with Comp's one-size-fits-all approach. I'm sure far more dollars were spent in the marketing room than actual development.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

travis wrote:What makes these cams supposedly better for 4x4 applications? The 8* split seems counter intuitive to low end torque production, as does the 111* lsa. Any ideas?
No, what you want is an "RV grind" cam. ;>)
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

travis wrote:What makes these cams supposedly better for 4x4 applications?
The name.
Heck, it says "4x4" right in it.
Just don't try and drive it in 2 wheel drive, it won't work. :lol:
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

what motor we be talking about
all the details please and usage
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I never liked any of those 4x4 grinds. I ran hr magnum in the old work truck.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

As was mentioned here in an earlier post, camshaft selection should never be made with a one type or size fits all approach. In performance engines the camshaft is probably one of the most important choices and is the real performance determined in almost every use and build. There are many things that will determine what type of camshaft, what profile and timing and the specification for the best specification that just picking a camshaft from a particular manufacturers basic use heading types is generally a mistake and will not provide the best choices.

You need the size in cubes of the envine, the bore and stroke, compression, cylinder he'd type and flows, induction system type and specs., transmission type, gearing, tire size in 4x4's for sure, and the weight of the vehicle. This type of careful evaluation and planning when shared with a camshaft expert will result in a great camshaft spec. and result.

Take more time and care in camshaft selection and you will always end up with a better result. JMO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I always thought those Comp Extreme cams were a terrible design, noisy junk that didn't perform any better than a quieter running cam.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

It was more of a general question...

I've had good results with the XE line but the valve train noise can be maddening, which is why I don't use them anymore. I can only imagine how much worse the X4 line is with the Extreme lobes on both the intake and exhaust
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Oh Boy can I get one of those 4x4 cams with more duration for the end cylinders or should I just use more rocker ratio?
mdabbott2009
Pro
Pro

Post by mdabbott2009 »

We've used 4 of them and everyone of them went flat
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

There are quite a few people here on this forum who constantly try to "lead the horses to water, but we can't always get them to drink" as always they wan't to drink the "Kool Aid" "We have Special engine high performance Parts that are based on incredible designs, engineering and the best materials and manufacturing methods and we can sell them to you for 1/4 to 1/2 of what most knowledgeable and reputable companies in the industry" ??? What's wrong with the "Kool-Aid"? Just keep drink'in it and you will probably be on the forum more asking the experts "What went Wrong? JMO :wink:
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Hey Chris:
We can't get to discouraged, at least people are calling you and asking for an opinion, your knowledgeable assessment of where they are and where they need to go to achieve their goals. At least some will trust your suggestions and hopefully some will become customers and avail them selves for your products and services. Yes the internet and especially some of the crazy forums out there have created a lot of so called engine builder (destroyers) experts and we are never going to change that crazy venue! I just know and believe that "A little Bit of Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing!" and boy there are a lot of dangerous things out there and a lot of careless listeners out there paying careful attention! HA! We all need to do a bit more true "Learning" and a lot less paying attention to incompetent "Bullshit"! :wink:
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

CamKing wrote:
travis wrote:What makes these cams supposedly better for 4x4 applications?
The name.
Heck, it says "4x4" right in it.
Just don't try and drive it in 2 wheel drive, it won't work. :lol:
Kind of like those "dirt track cams" that always want to pull to the left.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

cstraub wrote:In my time in this industry I have never had a cam come out and tell me that it was a circle track cam, drag cam, marine cam, 4X4 cam. I've always thought that they just needed to make power in a given rpm range of the the application.
Chris, that is because you have not listened carefully. I pulled one out of the box that I got from you and it told me it was AWESOME. Sure enough, put it in the motor and then on the dyno and it made the power that you said it would. So the cam was right. :lol:

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins