Re: Comp cams extreme 4x4 cams

Post by wyrmrider »

fer sure for sure
Reminds me of the girlfriend who took tow birth control pills
she wanted to be...
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

After skimming through this thread I am left asking the question. Especially if you are a forum member here why do you pick any arbitrary brand name shelf camshaft? If I have the time I always prefer a cam grinder here like Mike Jones, Charles Straub, and a couple more reputable grinders on here. If budget and time cramps a project there is shops like Terry Walters that use David Vizards Cos-cam program that can select an optimal lobe profile from probably hundreds in the cam profile catalogs of 7 or 8 of the major cam company's along with the optimal lift, LSA, duration and other pertinent information. The good think about it is the custom from most big names cost the same as the shelf cams. Plus Guys like Terry Walters charge nothing for the Cos-cam consultation if you order the cam through him.

With all the valuable resources here why would you want an Extreme 4X4 cam for your 2WD caprice or whatever.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

A lot more enthusiasts need to keep a single thought in the front of their mind when selecting a camshaft for their performance build. The camshaft and its' specification selection in any high performance engine build is the key to having an engine that will provide the best power and torque.
Picking one of a shelf spec.,Is like playing darts. You might get lucky and get close,but the cM picked from shelf stack,designs will almost never get the best result. Shelf stock generalized camshaft are made to maximise profit for the manufacturer, not you the user!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Newold1 wrote:A lot more enthusiasts need to keep a single thought in the front of their mind when selecting a camshaft for their performance build. The camshaft and its' specification selection in any high performance engine build is the key to having an engine that will provide the best power and torque.
Picking one of a shelf spec.,Is like playing darts. You might get lucky and get close,but the cM picked from shelf stack,designs will almost never get the best result. Shelf stock generalized camshaft are made to maximise profit for the manufacturer, not you the user!
^^ what he said^^ One size fits all. More like 22 sizes but in most case not nearly adequate for most specific 4X4 builds. Its a business thing as a company you sell what you have, most people out there are impatient, they want instant gratification, they start bouncing off the walls if they have to wait 3 weeks for a grind.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Patience is a virtue, impatience is a accident waiting to happen! Good things take time! :P
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

FWIW, I'm freshening up a '73 429 ford in a '78 F150 that had one of these X4 cams that lost an exhaust lobe after about 2 years of near daily use.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

gvx wrote: they start bouncing off the walls if they have to wait 3 weeks for a grind.
3 weeks? Your using the wrong cam company.

I can call Comp Cams and order a custom cam and have it in less than a week.

Just get on their web site and pick your lobes, and call.

Don't need your flowZ, Just a credit card.

Randy
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Its not that Competition Cams doesn't have some good stuff they most certainly do as well as having smart people who work there too. Not all of their stuff is good though and some of it is pretty awful like these "Extreme" hydraulic designs which should be avoided.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

randy331 wrote:
gvx wrote: they start bouncing off the walls if they have to wait 3 weeks for a grind.

Randy
lol it was a Colloquialism intended to impact the expression of the point I was making
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

randy331 wrote:

Randy
Also there tech department tends to leave there recommendations engineering degree's in the refrigerator at home. At least with some of the #'s they have gave me in the past
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Let's not spend time bashing on Comp Cams. They are a good company and they have good people, some of which have great technical knowledge and technical expertise. They make thousands of special camshafts and designs for many successful racing operations. Comp Cams has excellent abilities to design, apply and provide camshaft designs and profiles excellently manufactured and provided to fill customers needs.
What we are disagreeing with here in the thread is the use of prepackaged and generalized profiles that are designed to be quick, generally less expensive off the shelf camshafts for users who we label as a bit to impatient or to budget challenged to work with a camshaft company on an individualized profile on a camshaft.
There are a lot of camshaft companies out there besides Comp Cams who offer these "band aid" camshafts! "caveat emptor" (Buyer Beware!) :wink:
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

I wouldn't disagree with all you say about Comp Cams I guess what I see about Comp Cams and the other high-volume companies is there tec/sales guys have a motivation to sell you what they already have although in Shelf cams and there custom ground cams are the same price the big thing I've suggested here is be prepared when you call them know what lobe you want out of the catalog and your specs the wheel ground what you want. Also consider there are many different lobe profiles Mike Jones isky or crane or Charles Straub may have have a differentbe profile that is more appropriate for your application so I don't think none of us here are bashing competition cams but we are being critical of some of their camshaft that are designed to appeal to mass marketing using their hand grenade approach of hitting on a camshaft profile that fits a broad range of applications they are not nessasarily the best source for asking advise they motivation is subject to prejudice toward what they have already ground
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I think at Comp Cams like some other racing and performance camshaft manufacturers there are two distinct areas within the departments. One is a special development and order department where they take input from major racing teams and programs and work with these entities to develop, manufacture and test special camshafts to order and such. This department is a highly specialized area and a much higher dollar area and product.
Then there is the general camshaft department where they take orders for camshafts from their camshaft profile listings and custom make camshafts to fill general customers individual orders for various performance engine builders, distributors and warehouse re-sellers. In this same department I also think they just mass manufacture some standard popular and general camshafts that become the "off the shelf camshafts" that thousands of users order on a regular basis. This is their "bread & butter" camshaft manufacture area and it pretty much pays for the special camshaft development, testing and racing programs. JMO
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

gvx wrote: Also there tech department tends to leave there recommendations engineering degree's in the refrigerator at home. At least with some of the #'s they have gave me in the past
I don't ask for their recommendation. I just say what lobes I want, what LSA and what core.
You just got to be prepared for the inevitable dumb questions when you say a 230* in lobe with a 252* ex lobe on 110* LSA,... you'll get " is this a blower or turbo engine. Just say well yes it is, how'd you know that? LOL
Cam guy, that's a lot of spread.
Just say my in-ex flowZ ratio is bad too.
Cam guy, what fuel you runnin?
AV gas.
Cam guy,.. oh my god, what a disaster you're headed for.
Well I live at real high altitude.
Cam guy, ok well that all makes sense then, we'll get your cam on the way.

Randy
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Newold1 wrote:I think at Comp Cams like some other racing and performance camshaft manufacturers there are two distinct areas within the departments. One is a special development and order department where they take input from major racing teams and programs and work with these entities to develop, manufacture and test special camshafts to order and such. This department is a highly specialized area and a much higher dollar area and product.
Then there is the general camshaft department where they take orders for camshafts from their camshaft profile listings and custom make camshafts to fill general customers individual orders for various performance engine builders, distributors and warehouse re-sellers. In this same department I also think they just mass manufacture some standard popular and general camshafts that become the "off the shelf camshafts" that thousands of users order on a regular basis. This is their "bread & butter" camshaft manufacture area and it pretty much pays for the special camshaft development, testing and racing programs. JMO
This.

Lots of big design firms, be them architecture, urban planning, engineering, etc run this way. There is the bread and butter work which helps pay for some of the flagship work that would otherwise be too expensive to do if they invoiced every hour.
-Bob