Brushable heat barrier coating?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Calypso
Pro
Pro
Re: Brushable heat barrier coating?

Post by Calypso »

pdq67 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 am If you want to experiment a bit, you might try a slurry of aluminum metal powder and sodium silicate mixed together and then fired in a pottery kiln.

The aluminum powder, "burns/flashes", to aluminum oxide along with combining with the silica in the sodium silicate if not mistaken.

There was/is(?) a refractory coating sold that was/is(?) made like this, but it's been years and years so I forgot it's name.

It was sprayed on the walls of aluminum melting furnaces to help stop molten metal penetration and thus aluminum dross growth. Once the furnace was lit off, the coating flashed like the light of a firecracker if not mistaken?

And if you really want to get fancy, try mixing some, "GREEN", paint grade powdered chromic oxide in the mix. Talk about a tough coating at temperature, and I mean temperature like in 3,000 degrees!

Have fun!

pdq67
There are insulating brushable aluminium silicate paints. I suppose that is as close as it gets to above. I used a local manufactured one (not available in US) on a pair of iron exhaust manifolds, with fuel resistant laquer on top. Looks great after 2 yrs and lot of miles. I used it mainly for heat resistance and looks, but similar products are sold to process industry (lots of hot piping) particularly for their insulating properties.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Re: Brushable heat barrier coating?

Post by cv67 »

met this guy at a car show awhile back this is his site
have no idea what it is but it looks brushed on

https://high-flow-performance-engine.business.site/