2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Re: 2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

David Vizard wrote:So many of you guys are right about the cost of installing guides, cutting seats and other misc machining but there is one group that this does not represent a problem. That being the young guy starting work at a machine shp and having access to the equipment to do his own heads - so long as he knows how.
DV
I'm not sure why this is an issue anway? I've yet to come across a brand new, volume produced aftermarket head that didn't need some machining done out of the box. The more expensive heads might only need a tidy up here or there, but the economy ones need guides sized, seats cut, machine all surfaces etc. Basically what used heads need, they just start out cleaner! As for complete heads in the economy range.... how many part specs are actually correct when measured, and how many parts are decent quality?
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

It's well known in the 5.0 community that the 1996-97 Explorer/Mountaineer has GT40 style castings on them and those heads can be cheaply sourced at wrecking yards if you know where to look. I would investigate using the best production casting Ford ever made for the small block V8. These heads are like the "Vortec" Chevy heads....far better design than any old castings, they would be my 1st pick.

Here is a good link for more info: http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performance/g ... l#identify
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I have to dig out my info on Ford heads that I have done, but on a set of E7TZ heads I did some 18 years ago with a 1.94" valve I think I hit 245 cfm, and those heads then when on to make 350 hp on 289 with a solid flat Cam on a customers motor.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

E7TZ is the gt40p head and much improved port shapes. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Sorry, I ment the TE heads as spoke of here!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

mag2555 wrote:Sorry, I ment the TE heads as spoke of here!
If you can get those # s from E7TE heads I will be impressed. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote: I'm not sure why this is an issue anyway? I've yet to come across a brand new, volume produced aftermarket head that didn't need some machining done out of the box. The more expensive heads might only need a tidy up here or there, but the economy ones need guides sized, seats cut, machine all surfaces etc. Basically what used heads need, they just start out cleaner! As for complete heads in the economy range.... how many part specs are actually correct when measured, and how many parts are decent quality?
It is plain to see that you have never bought or used some aluminum M-6049-X306 heads from "Ford Racing" which use high quality stainless valves and "BeeHive" valve springs.

You can take them out of the box and install them on the engine with all the O.E.M. rockers, valve gear and accessories if you wish ... no need for anything more other than longer reach spark plugs.

They will even accept up to .565" valve lift if that is your plan; but, then valve to piston clearance becomes a problem with that large of a camshaft, (certainly NOT a cylinder head issue).
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Cubic_Cleveland wrote: I'm not sure why this is an issue anyway? I've yet to come across a brand new, volume produced aftermarket head that didn't need some machining done out of the box. The more expensive heads might only need a tidy up here or there, but the economy ones need guides sized, seats cut, machine all surfaces etc. Basically what used heads need, they just start out cleaner! As for complete heads in the economy range.... how many part specs are actually correct when measured, and how many parts are decent quality?
It is plain to see that you have never bought or used some aluminum M-6049-X306 heads from "Ford Racing" which use high quality stainless valves and "BeeHive" valve springs.

You can take them out of the box and install them on the engine with all the O.E.M. rockers, valve gear and accessories if you wish ... no need for anything more other than longer reach spark plugs.

They will even accept up to .565" valve lift if that is your plan; but, then valve to piston clearance becomes a problem with that large of a camshaft, (certainly NOT a cylinder head issue).
No, I haven't used those heads, but the statement still stands. Are the all the chambers the advertised size? What's the guide clearance like and are they straight? Valve face and stem, and seat run out? Surface finish? Oil returns? etc...

Not trying to argue Walter, and again, I have not used those heads. Just in my experience I've never been 100% happy with volume produced head out of the box, and that's not taking into account airflow issues ("gasket matching", seat transitions...).
blackford
Pro
Pro

Post by blackford »

Thats good results. I ported a set of 70 351w heads for a 331 because I like to make HP and not buy HP. Head results were 160cc intake ports and 60cc exhaust ports. Comp Cam 282S SFT cam with 1.7 Shaft rockers. 9.7:1 compression. Single plane victor JR. 430HP@6500 and 410 ft/lbs of TQ. 390HP@7000. Was very satisfying especially when folks who said it couldn't be done saw that it was possible to build a strong SBF stroker using ported Ford iron.
65 Mustang FB, 331 custom built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, Ported Maxx 180s, T5z, 9" 3.89 gears. ~460HP@6500

2013 Corvette 427 Convertible daily driver
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

It was a set of C6FE ( i dug my flow records out ) with a 1.94 " that I got 244 cfm @ .700" out of,but it not have gone a tad more had I had a sonic tester back then.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

By the time you add up the machining/porting labor, materials (guides, seals etc.) add in a "real" set of valve springs, you can buy a brand new assembled set of Twisted Wedge heads and they'll destroy anyone's ported E7s.

8)
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

EDC wrote:By the time you add up the machining/porting labor, materials (guides, seals etc.) add in a "real" set of valve springs, you can buy a brand new assembled set of Twisted Wedge heads and they'll destroy anyone's ported E7s.

8)
If you are building a stock block a well done set of E7TE 's bring you damn close to the block's strength limits! Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Yup, if your knocking on 375 HP or more keep some oil dry handy in your trunk!
Back in the day in the NYC area a set of these heads I did won the guy a ton of money from the street racing crowd and left folks who lost scratching there heads!
No Aluminum heads around in the very early 70s my friend!
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

mag2555 wrote:Yup, if your knocking on 375 HP or more keep some oil dry handy in your trunk!
Back in the day in the NYC area a set of these heads I did won the guy a ton of money from the street racing crowd and left folks who lost scratching there heads!
E7 heads in the early seventies? Time warp or something? :lol:

As for block strength, my junk yard, stock long block 302 with a set of out of the box TW heads made over 500 to the tire with a ProCharger P1SC-2 blower. Stock camshaft and shorty headers. This was back in 1999 running NMRA's Real Street class.

Not smart, but it was done to prove a point. :P

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

EDC wrote:
mag2555 wrote:Yup, if your knocking on 375 HP or more keep some oil dry handy in your trunk!
E7 heads in the early seventies? Time warp or something? :lol:

As for block strength, my junk yard, stock long block 302 with a set of out of the box TW heads made over 500 to the tire with a ProCharger P1SC-2 blower. Stock camshaft and shorty headers. This was back in 1999 running NMRA's Real Street class.

Not smart, but it was done to prove a point. :P

Not sure but I think E7's came out in '86 on the mustang. '85 was the high helix swirl port that was much hated on throttle body mustangs. E7' came with the multi port injection. They may have been on pickups before that.Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911