ID some old Dart heads?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

ID some old Dart heads?

Post by KnightEngines »

Got some old Dart's kicking around the shop, they're soft & have a little damage, but I can get them re heat treated pretty cheap & can weld the damage no probs.
Porting on them looks good.
They need some work but will scrub up ok.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what they are:

Dart 1-036 cast on the exhaust side
3611A 23 S stamped in the end

Guides are intergral with the head (alloy) & have bronze liners
They are angle plug.

If they're worth saving then I've got most of the bits required to throw together a spare parts 383 that'll make 600+hp no probs.
Got a .060" over 010 4 bolt block that needs 2 sleeves & a hone, some probe slugs that'll take a 5.85" rod, some Scat 5.85" rods, got a solid roller in the 260's duration with around .440" lobes.
Old super vic intake, some oldish crane gold rockers, plenty of good SH springs etc.
Need a crank, timing set, lifters & a few other odds n sods, stuff I can chase down second hand pretty easy with a few phone calls.
GOSFAST
Expert
Expert

Re: ID some old Dart heads?

Post by GOSFAST »

Don't have a real accurate answer to your question but am curious about one other item, do they use a "peanut" plug also??

Reason I ask is we used many Darts on the BB platform and those castings did use the "peanut" series of plugs! Sat right on the alloy castings, no gaskets involved.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Back in the day when I had a "connection" to Dart, I had asked about the bronze-liners in the integral casting, I had a real tough time "swallowing" the answer. I was asked if I was to be making the heads would I prefer to buy some 1-pc bronze guides for about 3.00 each or would I prefer buying liners for .30 cents each??
Sept. 2019 - Drag-Week Winner - New York Street Ride 7.23+ @ 196+ @ 3800#+
anarot

Post by anarot »

Gidday, They are probably the Dart 220 race series heads. Come in standard and raised runner intake as well as standard or spread port exhaust.

I have a pair of the raised runner version and they have the 1-036 on the exhaust side. Very raw casting in their 220cc form but pretty sure they used to be available in a CNC'd form as well. I've started working on mine so if you have any pics, valve sizes and lengths etc would be great. Being a kiwi I often see your work on some of the aussie sites and always watch with interest!
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

They pour at 230cc intake port with a 2.5" CSA at the pinch, plugs are long reach gasketed.

May be a good thing.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

The long reach plug heads are better castings.

I know the BB castings with peanut plugs were more problematic, but the peanut plug is a deal killer for me.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Well, I guess I won't scrap them then.

Gotta get them cleaned up for a better look, I'll flow them before I get to excited, porting looks good but looks can be deceiving.

I'll have to pull all the seat inserts & guide liners for heat treating - so a bit of work involved, but may well be worth it considering I got the heads for free complete with a decent set of stainless valves, some near new roller springs, retainers, locks etc.

The probe slugs I've got came from the same motor, pop tops & in decent nick, likely she'll have to be an E85 engine, comp is gonna be up there.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Why are people calling them a bb head????

They were a 220 sbc head from dart...
GURU is only a name.
Adam
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

You wouldn't happen to know how old they are would you? - I'm thinking 90's, but dunno!
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

KnightEngines wrote:You wouldn't happen to know how old they are would you? - I'm thinking 90's, but dunno!
You can tell by the "dart" casting if they are early they looked like a pencil. Later had the Bold DART letters.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

GURU is only a name.
Adam
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Thanks a bunch for that, they pre-date the Dart ID stuff, but they have the newer logo.
Looks like they're custom order 220cc based race heads.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

hi tony,
i know you are super busy all the time,but would you share your progress with these dart heads
i have a set of 200cc dart cast irons that i want to play with over xmas break
i am very interested in the process you have similar to the ford AFR you done a few months ago
very informative and very appreciative of you sharing
i know we cant compare apples to oranges meaning i have a set of cast 200cc heads and yours are 220cc
i really like your thought process of throwing together "some old parts" to get a easy 600hp
this will be a great thread
hey tony didnt james ""melway"make over 600 from cast darts
what are sliding this one into ?????
steve c
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Yep, James made 600+ from iron Darts, ran into the high 9's in his old HG.

I'm not going to be in a hurry building this, likely won't even start till next year.
Heads are already ported & appear to be nicely done, likely I'll just be refining what's there.

Got nothing in mind to put it in - no current projects of my own, Kids + house reno's + work = SFA spare time.

I do have the bones of a Model A rat rod stashed, including a kicked A chassis with suicide mount front etc & SA rego history, may eventually build that.
1NastySBC

Post by 1NastySBC »

has there been any update on these heads? i have a set on my race motor but the only id is 1-036 without anything after that. the other head had a DD stamped on them. the valve angle is 18* and has radical porting with ultra close middle ex ports which are angled. i have been told they are old trans am series heads. 2.125int and 1.625 ex valves
loose is fast but on the edge of outa control