Reverse timing advance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

IDT-572
Reverse timing advance

Post by IDT-572 »

A customer I built a 355 Chevy for carried his truck to the track for me to tune it for him.

I put the timing light on it and the timing is advancing backwards.

I have changed everything I can think of and it's still doing it. When you rev it up it starts taking timing out and motor starts laboring and heating the headers.........

Mechanical Advance is locked out on the MSD distributor. I have changed distributors, MSD boxes, Checked the balancer markings. Wires , coil.

I thought I found the trouble when I found the cam walking back and forth in the block where he had a timing cover leak and left the cam thrust button out.

But put it back together and it's doing the same dang thing.

Any ideas?
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Reverse timing advance

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Most likely a polarity issue. Swap/reverse the wires on the pick up.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
IDT-572

Post by IDT-572 »

Did that and it showed no change, I'm stumped,
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

At this point (for diagnostics), swap out the MSD for an HEI (in good condition) and compare. It's a quick, cheap and easy way to help determine if it's mechanical or ignition problems.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Have checked with a different and/or self powered timing light?
fatblock

Post by fatblock »

Worn out driven gear on the distributor.
68 camaro 8-71 blown 461 BBC
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

You could always unlock the advance and see if it's enough to cancel out the retard.. :)

Also, I'm too lazy to check, but which way does the timing go if there is huge end play in the shaft and the driven gear climbs the drive one under load?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Had the same issue with a genuine GM HEI distributor on a SBC. The pickup coil was the problem. Not sure if MSD has different pickup coils based on dist. rotation but GM sure does.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I've had a problem with an MSD system before when they ran the pickup coil wires too close to the primary coil wires. Multiple spark pulses became multiple pickup pulses and it started to become almost a continuous fire ignition. With a timing light on it the engine seemed to fire all the way around the balancer very weird. It would shoot ducks but once it got above about 3000rpm it would seem to run fine. I wonder if yours is doing something similar but not quite as bad.... thinking that the multiple strikes have to come after the original pickup pulse and are thus retarded.
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

Please advise at what you have set the timing at. Got to be somewhere between 30-40 degrees or ?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

If the clearance between the button and the cover is too big it will still do it, I have also seen this with stock timing cover and the cam pushing the cover out
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Kbails

Post by Kbails »

make sure cam is not walking forward. had this problem and there was no button on front of cam. nothing stopping cam from walking forward. I would just check to be sure
Long Island, NY
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Kbails wrote:make sure cam is not walking forward. had this problem and there was no button on front of cam. nothing stopping cam from walking forward. I would just check to be sure
Cam button on any cam is a good idea just for this reason.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

How many degrees retard are you getting and at what rpm's ?
IDT-572

Post by IDT-572 »

Sorry haven't had time to reply. I have changed distributors but not went to an HEI. The cam buttons was left out but it was replaced and put back together, but no difference.
Polarity changed no difference. Checked the timing marks on the damper(new damper when built thought it may have been marked wrong backwards) not the problem.

Start the engine and set the distributor to 35 degrees at an idle and rev it up and it retards to about 5-6 degrees after top dead center when all the timing is in at about 3000 rpm.

I haven't checked the cap to rotor clearance, but I change distributors and use the same cap and rotor so this may be it. I will check that this weekend.

I have rerouted the distributor pick up wires and replaced them too.

Distributor gear is new and in good shape.

Old sears dial back I have had for years and a new MSD light used and a aqutron (spelling) also all the same, just the MSD light the timing marks are very steady and the others are slightly erratic. Marks moving around some.

Thanks for the help guys, an HEI is going in this Saturday.

Welcome to more ideas if anyone has them.