build a bigger engine the hard way

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: build a bigger engine the hard way

Post by PackardV8 »

midnightbluS10 wrote:Didn't Steve Morris recently do a V16? For the Devel Sixteen
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/e ... 16-engine/
Yes, all CNC from billet.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Biteme
Pro
Pro

Post by Biteme »

Be easier to just put a coupling between 2 engines.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Chet Herbert and two 215 aluminum Buicks
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

2 x 215" seems like a lot of trouble to get something with fewer cubes, more weight and less HP potential than a punched-out SBC...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

I remember seeing the 215 built for a hotsaw competition...
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

One fit nicely into the back seat of my '52 split-window VW back in the early sixties...

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Crown kit Bill?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

No, all homemade. A machinist friend had built a Renault-powered formula car with a VW trans and when the 4 cyl. blew, he shoehorned in an Olds 215. The car was destroyed in a crash soon after, and looking at the wreckage I said "Hey Tony, why don't you put it in your old VW?" He replied "Don't be ridiculous!" but by the next spring he had done it. A year later I traded in my '57 Morgan on it and terrorized the town for a couple of years before selling it to go back to school.

The Dark Side of Will
Expert
Expert

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

ericjon262 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:30 pm I've seen a couple of these done, and was thinking about one day, doing it myself. with two V6's for a 7-ish liter V12 the hard part I see, is welding the heads and blocks together lots of preheat and jigging, obviously you'll need cams ground and a crank made, engine management could also get a little tricky as there aren't many V12's out there, maybe aftermarket.

anyone done it before? got any pointers? here's a couple examples using V8's.

An adapter plate could bolt the front of one block to the back of another. Bolt a flange to the crank output of the front engine and use that to drive the crank snout of the rear engine. The rear engine might need a custom crank to be able to transfer enough torque into the snout to work. Other than that, it's just two engines. Need to figure out a way to feed coolant to the rear block, but once the connections are figured out, it could be via a second waterpump in the accessory drive on the forward engine.
The Dark Side of Will
Expert
Expert

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:44 pm
Your results may vary, but if one has to ask "anyone done it before? got any pointers?" chances of success don't seem likely.
One of my favorite responses to crazy ideas on car forums comes from this... "If you think you can do it, you don't need the internet to tell you how". Works for both end of the skill spectrum...
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Building a v8 from two Hayabusa engines seems common enough to rather look into putting together two inline sixes on the same crank.
Perhaps there is a way of joining such engines together by running the head studs to a common crankcase after the mains have been milled off.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
The Dark Side of Will
Expert
Expert

I've heard of both mounting BMW 24V I6 heads on a BMW V12 block as well as mounting 24V Jaguar heads on a Jaguar V12 block.

As Porsche demonstrated with the M96/M97 and incessant IMS bearing failures, using the same head on both sides of a DOHC engine results in some monkey motion of the timing drive
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 pm
PackardV8 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:44 pm
Your results may vary, but if one has to ask "anyone done it before? got any pointers?" chances of success don't seem likely.
One of my favorite responses to crazy ideas on car forums comes from this... "If you think you can do it, you don't need the internet to tell you how". Works for both end of the skill spectrum...
what a blast from the past! this project is still in my head, but I won't be making any real progress on it for a few years.

I mainly asked the question because different people come up with wildly different solutions for the same problems, some of which are easy, many of which are hard, it's nice to have the internet available for learning from someone else's successes and failures.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Something different in the way of an engine MIGHT be a MEL 534 put on an acid diet to lighten it. Mill the decks to 90 degrees and install some modern REWORKED heads on it so that it can breath.

As well as one of the great big V-6's that if not mistaken, GMC made through the years for trucks. Acid dip one of them too...

pdq67
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Those giants are cool, but not really concentric with the final goal for the engine. the end point of the engine would be that it gets put into a car reminiscent of a 1960's F1 car.