-0.015" Big Block Timing Chain

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

-0.015" Big Block Timing Chain

Post by MadBill »

Cloyes p.n. 9-134-15 is NLA. Who if anyone makes one? (same chain fits BB Ford and Chrysler)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Malvn
HotPass
HotPass
Re: -0.015" Big Block Timing Chain

Post by Malvn »

Malvin
" Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that but the really great make you
feel that you, too, can become great". By Mark Twain
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Thanks malvin. Interesting; Rollmaster uses bigger sprockets instead of 'shorter' chains like Cloyes. The site doesn't mention how big they go; I'll drop them a line to ask.
They have a handy 'rule of slack' to determine how much short the c-c is; I'll compare it to my actual measurement tomorrow. One factor I'm pondering but which I've never seen mentioned is the fact that mine is an aluminum block and so at 200° F., the c-c will grow ~0.004" more than an iron one...

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

I thought Cloyes used bigger sprocket(s). Aren't "shorter chains" a myth?
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

What Shurkey said.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Schurkey wrote:I thought Cloyes used bigger sprocket(s). Aren't "shorter chains" a myth?
Correct
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Incorrect. The Cloyes tech line is (479) 646 -1662, ex. 228. Call them yourselves to verify if you like but their catalog lists 9-134 as the standard length BB chain; to be followed by a -5 or -10 for 0.005" or 0.010" closer c-c respectively. When I talked to their tech yesterday he said: "Sorry, we don't make the fifteen thous. short chain anymore."

EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

MadBill wrote:Incorrect. The Cloyes tech line is (479) 646 -1662, ex. 228. Call them yourselves to verify if you like but their catalog lists 9-134 as the standard length BB chain; to be followed by a -5 or -10 for 0.005" or 0.010" closer c-c respectively. When I talked to their tech yesterday he said: "Sorry, we don't make the fifteen thous. short chain anymore."
My IWIS Rollmaster sets show one replacement chain. Maybe Closes uses various versions but I don't use them...
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

can you adapt a LS timing chain tensioner. also some 4 cylinder engine use chain tensioners
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

EDC wrote:
MadBill wrote:Incorrect. The Cloyes tech line is (479) 646 -1662, ex. 228. Call them yourselves to verify if you like but their catalog lists 9-134 as the standard length BB chain; to be followed by a -5 or -10 for 0.005" or 0.010" closer c-c respectively. When I talked to their tech yesterday he said: "Sorry, we don't make the fifteen thous. short chain anymore."
My IWIS Rollmaster sets show one replacement chain. Maybe Closes uses various versions but I don't use them...
Yes, Rollmaster makes 'fat' sprockets instead of short chains and claim it's a better approach.

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

pamotorman wrote:can you adapt a LS timing chain tensioner. also some 4 cylinder engine use chain tensioners
Great minds... and all that, pamotorman! Years ago when I first started rebuilding the engine I failed to find a 'short' chain, so I adapted a Cavalier tensioner to take up the slack, but now I've got a Cloyes two piece cover for fast cam re-indexing, and it won't clear the tensioner. Ironically, unbeknownst to me, Cloyes was still offering a 0.015" short chain back then.. #-o

cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

Not a fan of Cloyes, but may I submit some more food for thought here Bill.
I just counted 33 links in the chains I use. To change the Overall length of that chain by -.015"=.00045" per link. That's 4.5 TEN THOUSANDS of an inch change in center to center distance per link. But we are talking Centerline Distance of the CAM/Crankshaft. Sprockets are measured at the root of the tooth vs pitch diameter like gears. I submit that Cloyes is using the usual tactics about chains when in fact they change the root diameter of the gears themselves vs attempting to making chains that alter the link center distance in Ten Thousands of an inch to loose .015" in Center to Center distance across 5.152".
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

MadBill wrote:
EDC wrote:
Yes, Rollmaster makes 'fat' sprockets instead of short chains and claim it's a better approach.
it is also a lot cheaper to change the pitch diameter of a sprocket than engineer a new chain .
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

I'm wondering if this is for your aluminum big block build....if it is you should take into consideration the additional growth of an aluminum block vs cast iron as the block is heated.......just saying.....
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

ZEOHSIX wrote:I'm wondering if this is for your aluminum big block build....if it is you should take into consideration the additional growth of an aluminum block vs cast iron as the block is heated.......just saying.....
Yes it is, as pondered in my post at the top of the page. I've never seen a print for my factory aluminum block, or any aftermarket ones, but I don't believe the former is changed from the iron version. An aluminum replacement for any iron block would have the same issue. I suspect it is just ignored, like P/V and squish difference for same.