Does the turbo downpipe _length_ matter?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Buddyworm
Re: Does the turbo downpipe _length_ matter?

Post by Buddyworm »

ptuomov wrote:Although this is no proper substitute for an actual test, I run some simulations with Vannik's software. The simulation results say that the downpipe length makes very little difference to the simulated pressure traces at the exhaust ports. The waves are almost completely broken up by the turbine. The wastegate pipe length has some impact on the pressure waves in the wastegate pipe, but the diameter and the overall energy in that pipe is relatively small, so it doesn't make much difference to the exhaust port conditions.
I can't comment on actual tuning results, but I'm not convinced that the turbines are so efficient at extracting energy from the exhaust stream that they damp the pulses enough to make them irrelevant.

Standing several feet behind a turbo drift car launching off the line with straight pipe exhaust you definitely feel discreet and powerful pulses.

On the dyno I've also had a big power turbo car blow my exhaust extractor pipe off its supporting jack stand!

On both the above examples the wastegates do not plumb back into the main exhaust pipe.

I think there's some energy to work with post-turbine.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

I think there's some energy to work with post-turbine.
Could run 2 turbos in series?

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Buddyworm wrote: I can't comment on actual tuning results, but I'm not convinced that the turbines are so efficient at extracting energy from the exhaust stream that they damp the pulses enough to make them irrelevant. Standing several feet behind a turbo drift car launching off the line with straight pipe exhaust you definitely feel discreet and powerful pulses. On the dyno I've also had a big power turbo car blow my exhaust extractor pipe off its supporting jack stand! On both the above examples the wastegates do not plumb back into the main exhaust pipe. I think there's some energy to work with post-turbine.
There's energy in the post-turbine exhaust for sure. There's heat, sound, other kinds of pulsing, velocity, etc. There's no question about it.

However, this leads to two questions. First, is there way to harvest that energy in general? I think there is. Diesels run compound turbochargers, like mentioned already. Some engines have a second turbine assisting the crankshaft. BMW uses heat to run a steam engine with a device that also acts as a muffler. Etc.

Second, is there a way to use the pulses in the post-turbine exhaust to impact the tuning inside the exhaust manifold. There I'm thinking that its going to be hard for a high-boost engine with the turbine blades close to sonic.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Buddyworm

Post by Buddyworm »

ptuomov wrote:
Buddyworm wrote: I can't comment on actual tuning results, but I'm not convinced that the turbines are so efficient at extracting energy from the exhaust stream that they damp the pulses enough to make them irrelevant. Standing several feet behind a turbo drift car launching off the line with straight pipe exhaust you definitely feel discreet and powerful pulses. On the dyno I've also had a big power turbo car blow my exhaust extractor pipe off its supporting jack stand! On both the above examples the wastegates do not plumb back into the main exhaust pipe. I think there's some energy to work with post-turbine.
There's energy in the post-turbine exhaust for sure. There's heat, sound, other kinds of pulsing, velocity, etc. There's no question about it.

However, this leads to two questions. First, is there way to harvest that energy in general? I think there is. Diesels run compound turbochargers, like mentioned already. Some engines have a second turbine assisting the crankshaft. BMW uses heat to run a steam engine with a device that also acts as a muffler. Etc.

Second, is there a way to use the pulses in the post-turbine exhaust to impact the tuning inside the exhaust manifold. There I'm thinking that its going to be hard for a high-boost engine with the turbine blades close to sonic.
I was thinking in terms of a CSA change downstream of the turbine to generate a reflected wave. I figured you would be able to make the pressure delta across the turbine larger but the points that were made about sonic turbines not allowing waves to propagate upstream of the choke point gave me pause. Maybe it's only suited to lower backpressure setups that haven't maxed out the turbines.

Or maybe there's some gains to be found with those helmholtz resonators you see in lots of performance exhausts for cancelling out drone on the highway. I know precious little about this subject, but maybe there's some waves could stand some cancellation and enhance power.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Buddyworm wrote:
ptuomov wrote:

I was thinking in terms of a CSA change downstream of the turbine to generate a reflected wave. I figured you would be able to make the pressure delta across the turbine larger but the points that were made about sonic turbines not allowing waves to propagate upstream of the choke point gave me pause. Maybe it's only suited to lower backpressure setups that haven't maxed out the turbines.

Or maybe there's some gains to be found with those helmholtz resonators you see in lots of performance exhausts for cancelling out drone on the highway. I know precious little about this subject, but maybe there's some waves could stand some cancellation and enhance power.
Along the same lines, I'm thinking that one could potentially use the downpipe to get a favorable pulse tuning effect to the turbine before the turbine is fully spooled and "choked". The problem with this is that for the downpipe to generate that sort of strong pressure wave, I think it would also have to be pretty small diameter. Am I correct about this? If I'm correct about this, then the downpipe that would generate a strong pressure wave would totally choke the turbine at higher rpms and loads. This gets me back to square one that pulse tuning with the downpipe length is hopeless in setups that have well matched turbines, and all one can hope the downpipe to really do is to not restrict the flow out of the turbine.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Put Search Keywords Here
Dust Buster

Post by Dust Buster »

Erland Cox wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:14 am I believe that the down pipe should taper from little over turbine size to the required exhaust size with a taper no greater than 7 degrees included angle...
So, if I understand correctly, a seven degree taper on a 3” pipe going to a 2 1/4” (a drop of .75” for side A-C) would take 6.155” (side B-C). My silly question is, “how do you taper a pipe over that distance?” Are you preparing a cast mould?
Taper_7_degrees.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cape Town, South Africa
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

You'd use a slip roller to make a cone shaped tapered pipe.
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

Flat sheet to truncated cone layout. Try here: https://www.cmrp.com/cone-calculator
- Paul
Dust Buster

Post by Dust Buster »

Thanks for putting up with my silly questions, but I am learning something here.
Cape Town, South Africa