what typically goes on 5.3 first

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

V12MECH
Re: what typically goes on 5.3 first

Post by V12MECH »

Cam and lifter wear will usually set a cylinder miss code, Is the orange ck. engine light on? LS engines are very sensitive to valve wear, ECM wise , a good scan tool will pin point the affected cylinder (s).
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Everything will go first when people don't change their oil and filter at regular time intervals.
BigDogPerformance

Post by BigDogPerformance »

If you have got good oil pressure and no metal in the filter could be piston skirt, Low oil pressure could be cam bearings, High metallic noise up top Pushrod and rockers common to wear.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I have a 2001 Silverado with the 5.3L and after 400,000 miles I got it rebuilt about 4 years ago. I was surprised the cylinders were still good with no ridge around the top. The only issue I was having was lifter noise in the morning over the past 5 years before the rebuild. It would get quiet after it warmed up. Just about every lifter was collapsed but the cam still looked good. We replaced the cam and lifters in the rebuilt motor along with the usual bore/hone on the bottom end. All seems good with the new motor, except it does seem to make alot of metal in the oil after every oil change, just like the original motor.

If I had to do it over again, I would have just did a top end job (valve job and new lifters). Would have saved me about $2500.

A little history of the motor, I bought this truck new in 2000, and whenever I did an oil changes, I always saw metal in the oil. I guess LS motors produce more metal than a regular motor. ??? But it didn't seem to hurt anything, except maybe causing the lifters to collapse.

So to answer your question, I'd say the lifters go first.

If you're low on money, I'd just keep driving it as is. Didn't seem to hurt my motor any.
Joe Facciano
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Put the magnet on the bottom of the oil filter. Then, when you cut it open, have a look at how big the sea urchin grew.