ATK cylinder heads - good, bad or ugly?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Re: ATK cylinder heads - good, bad or ugly?

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

For reference here is brodix dragon slayer and ik Image

Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
mtrhead

Post by mtrhead »

Wow I'm not crazy. Referring to the profiler picture- Mine is shadowed just like that!! It's like the bolt holes need to be raised to center the port
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

On the Profiler head with the raised D ex port what is the height from the bolt C/L
to the top of the ex port?

Want to see if a 1-3/4" conventional header will work.
I believe the raised floor is intended as a anti reversion step to the header.

But wonder about the roof of the port relative to the header tube on the Profilers.

It is nice to now have a choice in ex port style with the ATK version.

A very nice cylinder head either way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

All I can tell you is my CNC exhaust port is much different than the as-cast version.

I started with a pro-port type casting.

I used a 1406 as a guide.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

I guess when Pro-Filer says they are raised .250 they mean it! If you want a stock location, buy a ATK.

Notalent

Post by Notalent »

We were seeing a lot of issues with the Pro-Filer version on our end and exhaust port leaks. I cant tell you how many customers couldn't figure it out and got upset thinking something was wrong with the engine, send the engine back for warranty and it was blatantly obvious what the issue was #-o Due to this and seeing another market for them we wanted a redesigned exhaust port in the stock location and have not had an issue since.

The other change we made was milling down the spring pockets and cutting a trough so the oil can drain back to the engine without restriction. We were seeing issues on the dyno and in the field with oil pooling up and burning, smoking out the breathers, etc...Overall its a very nice setup, the parts are equivalent to what you would find on Dart, Edelbrock, Brodix, Etc without paying the premium for upgraded parts.
ATK HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINES

WWW.HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINES.COM

CUSTOM BUILT STREET/STRIP & RACING ENGINES!
Notalent

Post by Notalent »

Drain Back Revisions
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ATK HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINES

WWW.HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINES.COM

CUSTOM BUILT STREET/STRIP & RACING ENGINES!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

How are so many people having trouble with oil drain back and using oil through the guides with profiler heads? Mine have none of these mods and I've had zero issues. What causes these issues? I run a standard volume pump with the high pressure spring.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I'd just drill a little drain hole and let the springs sit in a pool of oil, as long as it did not reach the top of the guides
way back when we took the chevy steel shield cups from the top of the valvespring and turned them upside down with a small hole...
mtrhead
Re: ATK cylinder heads - good, bad or ugl

Post by mtrhead »

Notalent wrote:We were seeing a lot of issues with the Pro-Filer version on our end and exhaust port leaks. I cant tell you how many customers couldn't figure it out and got upset thinking something was wrong with the engine, send the engine back for warranty and it was blatantly obvious what the issue was #-o Due to this and seeing another market for them we wanted a redesigned exhaust port in the stock location and have not had an issue since
I bet 75%+ of all non drag racing customers don't know there headers are mismatched.

It took Posting here to get some positive confirmation. I emailed and talked to the "experts" and they didn't see it or didn't understand. I feel better but still upset my headers interfere with roof of the exhaust port. I tried at least 3 headers and non lined up with the profiler head. I know I wouldn't of bought them if the advertisement(or seller) would of stated raised ports requires unique headers to fit properly - or you need to buy the pro port CNC version to get a normal fitting exhaust port.

I'll stop beating a dead horse - thanks to all that posted their issues too.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

If I had known about the ATK heads I would have bought them & had them ported.
Jim
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: ATK cylinder heads - good, bad or ugl

Post by af2 »

mtrhead wrote:
Notalent wrote:We were seeing a lot of issues with the Pro-Filer version on our end and exhaust port leaks. I cant tell you how many customers couldn't figure it out and got upset thinking something was wrong with the engine, send the engine back for warranty and it was blatantly obvious what the issue was #-o Due to this and seeing another market for them we wanted a redesigned exhaust port in the stock location and have not had an issue since
I bet 75%+ of all non drag racing customers don't know there headers are mismatched.

It took Posting here to get some positive confirmation. I emailed and talked to the "experts" and they didn't see it or didn't understand. I feel better but still upset my headers interfere with roof of the exhaust port. I tried at least 3 headers and non lined up with the profiler head. I know I wouldn't of bought them if the advertisement(or seller) would of stated raised ports requires unique headers to fit properly - or you need to buy the pro port CNC version to get a normal fitting exhaust port.

I'll stop beating a dead horse - thanks to all that posted their issues too.
You said the headers fit but the gasket didn't earlier?? Now this?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Isn't every AFR head raised .250? What do they use for headers?
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Trim the top of gasket and have a cold one on me... This is funny. NOT!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I had to use Fast Burn flanges & slot the holes & Track 1 gaskets & slot the holes, the flanges were for 1 3/4 pipes. 1 5/8 would have been to small.
Jim