1987 camaro tpi tuning advise

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mxzman

1987 camaro tpi tuning advise

Post by mxzman »

Hi, a co-worker of mine just purchased a 1987 iroc 5.7 Camaro that the previous owner had installed the GM HOT LT4 cam into. Car was purchased non-running. After replacing the stock valve springs it runs ok but needs some tuning. Anybody have a recommendation for a "custom" chip tuner/maker that he can get for this application? Note: dyno tuning is not a option at this point. He just wants to get it close so he can drive it. Thanks in advance
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: 1987 camaro tpi tuning advise

Post by mag2555 »

Besides replacing the springs, do you have enough installed height , coil bind clearance and retainer to seal clearance for that Cams .492" lift?
Also if he is running pressed in rocker studs, then that's another issue in the making with that Cam, no less the fact that there only 3/8" studs too!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
RednGold86Z
Expert
Expert

Post by RednGold86Z »

http://www.moates.net
APU1 Autoprom. G1 adapter.
Tunerpro RT.

And study study study.

It's a MAF system, so, you're not going to need to do much. Mostly, set the timing - need to disconnect the EST enable wire from the distributor and put timing at about 6 degrees (computer will advance from there after reconnecting the EST). It can probably handle 2-4 degrees more than stock.

The cold start injector can be disabled if you go to the 1989 software and calibration. AUJP is a decent starting point for that.

I think I backed up the entire hacked list of PROM data from about 2004, if you can't find the right files.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

If you were in Southern California I could tell you exactly where to get it tuned. However here is their phone number and they may be able to help. 714-630-1502. His name is Don and tell them Allen told you to call them. They do not always pick up the phone as he is busy. Also hold on for a little bit to give him time to get to the phone.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Ebl flash from dynamic efi is feasible. I have used iron many builds.
http://www.dynamicefi.com
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
DanE2

Post by DanE2 »

Recently, a friend of mine bought a low millage, 1985, manual transmission, corvette, and wanted more power on a budget. So I went on the principle of more air in, more air out.
There is a license plate recess in the front bumper and I cut that out and installed a decorative screen in the opening, ran an air inlet tube from the intake manifold to that opening, and moved the sensor from the bottom of the intake manifold into the air inlet tube so the computer would read cooler air and enrich the air/fuel mixture.
I then studied the exhaust system and saw that the two head pipes ended side by side at a thick steel plate that the catalytic converter bolted to. At the other end of the catalytic converter was the same thick steel plate. I cut the tailpipes before the rear axle, removed the catalytic converter, and bolted the two steel plates together, forming a "X" pipe of sorts. I then took the car to a muffler shop and had two "straight through" mufflers and new tailpipes installed to the rear of the car.
The Corvette had a nice mellow sound and it's performance was noticeable improved. That's how I "tuned" a TPI SBC on a budget.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

I used these guys when I was into the TPI stuff.
http://www.moates.net/gm-19851995-c-64.html

Another thing I did was throw a set of vortec heads on it using a scoggin-dickey lower intake. They were pricey at the time but it was the best bang for the buck at about $400 or so. Set of AS&M runners and a Lingenfelter cam and it ran pretty good. Probably could scour eBay and Craigslist for people looking to get rid of stuff like that these days.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

the guy allen pointed out is the guy for tpi tuning
You need to make sure everything is dead nuts perfect, if not the tune wont do ya much good
They will never be hp or rpm motors but if you focus/gear for tq you can get one to run pretty good and stil knock down some mpg
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

ED Wright Performance in Tulsa Oklahoma has literally done hundreds of these. If you can give him a true spec. on the engine he will tune and burn a new chip for the engine that will get running great.
This man is one of the industries great chip tuners on GM engines.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink: