We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

1966 350SS block.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

S10LS2
Member
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:25 pm
Location:

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by S10LS2 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:52 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-Chevy ... SwmgJY7Y4i Thought this was something that would interest you pdq

pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2760
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 pm
Location:

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by pamotorman » Thu May 11, 2017 8:41 am

try this place.

Engines Limited
305 W. River Drive.
Omro, WI 54963

Phone:

(920) 685-0288

DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 am
Location:

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by DaveMcLain » Thu May 11, 2017 8:53 am

This thread has been very interesting for me I know I've never seen a large journal block like that but now I'll have to keep an eye open.

novadude
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: Shippensburg, PA

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by novadude » Thu May 11, 2017 10:23 am

tenxal wrote:
pdq67 wrote: Are the main bolts in the 1967 350SS block farther apart than the main bolts in the 1967 302 and 327 blocks to accommodate the larger crank journals? pdq67
No. The factory main caps are simply machined for the larger main bearings and the block relieved somewhat for the crank.

The 3892657 '67 350-295 block has the breather in the valley and the road draft setup on the back of the block is a 90 degree fitting to which a hose attaches and runs down by the starter. Plus it has a canister oil filter. It's the only passenger car large journal block to have had a canister filter.
No passenger car Chevy engine still had a draft tube in 1967. The can (baffle / separator) in the lifter valley connected to a 3/8 hose fitting that screwed into the block where the draft tube used to be in the 1950s. The 3/8" hose went to a PCV valve that was connected to a manifold vacuum source on the carb. Fresh air was pulled through a vented breather on the oil fill tube at the front of the intake.

You can see that set-up in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvK_4kZFY2I

DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 am
Location:

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by DaveMcLain » Thu May 11, 2017 11:32 am

novadude wrote:
tenxal wrote:
pdq67 wrote: Are the main bolts in the 1967 350SS block farther apart than the main bolts in the 1967 302 and 327 blocks to accommodate the larger crank journals? pdq67
No. The factory main caps are simply machined for the larger main bearings and the block relieved somewhat for the crank.

The 3892657 '67 350-295 block has the breather in the valley and the road draft setup on the back of the block is a 90 degree fitting to which a hose attaches and runs down by the starter. Plus it has a canister oil filter. It's the only passenger car large journal block to have had a canister filter.
No passenger car Chevy engine still had a draft tube in 1967. The can (baffle / separator) in the lifter valley connected to a 3/8 hose fitting that screwed into the block where the draft tube used to be in the 1950s. The 3/8" hose went to a PCV valve that was connected to a manifold vacuum source on the carb. Fresh air was pulled through a vented breather on the oil fill tube at the front of the intake.

You can see that set-up in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvK_4kZFY2I
A couple of years ago I built a 1955 265 engine and the location of the road draft tube wasn't like I had expected. It went down the back of the engine behind the flywheel and came out the bottom down by the oil pan rail.

tenxal
Expert
Expert
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:48 pm
Location:

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by tenxal » Thu May 11, 2017 4:24 pm

novadude wrote:No passenger car Chevy engine still had a draft tube in 1967. The can (baffle / separator) in the lifter valley connected to a 3/8 hose fitting that screwed into the block where the draft tube used to be in the 1950s. The 3/8" hose went to a PCV valve that was connected to a manifold vacuum source on the carb. Fresh air was pulled through a vented breather on the oil fill tube at the front of the intake.

You can see that set-up in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvK_4kZFY2I
In general, you'd be correct. But the '67 Camaro 350 block was a bit of an odd duck. A quick search will show you what the correct crankcase vent tube for a '67 Camaro 350 is. Even the system for the 327's and 302's are different from the 350...and only in the Camaro. I've personally seen unaltered originals where the crankcase vent tube went to the air cleaner (5/8" o.d. steel tube...the most common system) and also where the metal tubing terminated into the area behind the starter with hose (5/8" o.d. steel tube). The downward directed crankcase vent tube is not available through the after market repro companies but the 'air cleaner style' is.

Neat survivor engine in the video even though it's far from original. :)

GLHS60
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1113
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 am
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by GLHS60 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Not really a passenger car but L88 Corvettes had a road draft tube in 1967 and 1968.
Not sure about 1969.

Thanks
Randy

novadude wrote: No passenger car Chevy engine still had a draft tube in 1967.
Sherwood Park
Alberta,Canada
There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 am
Location:

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by DaveMcLain » Thu May 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Did they have a road draft tube or a PCV mounted in a hose that connected to a fitting that went into the hole that could/used to accommodate a road draft tube?

I've worked on quite a few small journal 327's and NONE of them had a road draft tube.

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9572
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm
Location:

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by pdq67 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:47 pm

My 350SS engine had the little metal can-type adapter in the hole by the dizzy that had a 2-piece hose hooked to it. 1/2 way along was where the pcv valve was plugged in between the 2nd hose that then went to either the bottom middle front or the bottom middle rear of the base of my Q-Jet. I forget which? (I think front??)..

Anyway, there was a snap clip that the pcv valve fit in that then was bolted onto one of the intake bolts on the pass. side by the choke stove deal..

When I took my car to pass inspection back in early '86, the Inspector told me that I was lucky that it wasn't a '68, because the '67's didn't have air cleaner snorkel, "stoves", (exhaust manifold pipe heater deal is all), on them so therefore my open element air cleaner would pass a visual inspection. '68, no go!

I still have the bottom of my stock air cleaner, but Doc's no good step son stole my chrome top. Sucker is like 16.25" in dia. and even a re-pop is quite pricy! As*hole got two Holley 390 cfm, 1850 type carbs at the same time and I didn't know it. They came off AP Greens two gunning trucks, (an F-600, 361" and an F-750, 391" Ford FE powered), and were given to me by my former Boss when he retired. He classified them as junk so whatever.

Both trucks had (2) 50 gallon saddle tanks on them and the F-750 got like 4 mpg so when we came from South Bend, IN to Mexico, MO, by the time we hit Hannibal, MO, we were looking for fuel!!

The F-600 got sold off and an LN-7000 3408 Cat took it's place. It also had (2), 50 gallon saddle tanks on it, but it got 8 mpg!

It had an 800 mile range and I have driven it 800 miles non-stop across country on the northern east/west Hwy's, (I-80, -90, and -94)!!

Mexico, MO to Massena, NY and back after the job was finished!

Also from Mexico. MO to Prattville, AL non-stop and my Boss liked ta died!! he never road with me again. I had a, "Truckers", atlas that showed where the scales were so I just by-passed them and kept on rolling!

Sorry, way OT, but just another ol' pdq67 story!

pdq67

GLHS60
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1113
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 am
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by GLHS60 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:16 pm

1962 327's had road draft tubes as PCV wasn't standard equipment until 1963.

PCV was an option (RPO 242) on 1961-62 Corvettes and maybe others.

Thanks
Randy
DaveMcLain wrote:Did they have a road draft tube or a PCV mounted in a hose that connected to a fitting that went into the hole that could/used to accommodate a road draft tube?

I've worked on quite a few small journal 327's and NONE of them had a road draft tube.
Sherwood Park
Alberta,Canada
There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

GLHS60
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1113
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 am
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by GLHS60 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Road draft tube before oil filters!!

Thanks
Randy


Image
Sherwood Park
Alberta,Canada
There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9572
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm
Location:

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by pdq67 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:15 am

My car had a '66, .040" over, 300hp/327 in it when I got it back. I overhauled it and gave it to my Nephew not knowing that all I had to do was bore the mains to the 350SS block size and then use it as almost a period correct block.

I did this almost 20 years ago and it is still sitting on an engine stand in his garage so go figure?? He also has a great '68 or '69, 302" Ford V-8 sitting on the floor. I sold him a Ford F4B true hi-rise intake for it and it just sit's there too.

pdq67

engineguyBill
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1198
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:15 am
Location: Gold Canyon, AZ

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by engineguyBill » Fri May 12, 2017 10:56 am

As I recall the 350" engine was available ONLY in Camaros in 1967 and this 350 block had small journal crankshaft. Same block casting # for 302", 327" and 350" in 1967 only.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (29+ years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist

User avatar
psychomotors
Pro
Pro
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:20 pm
Location: East Bonne Terre
Contact:

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by psychomotors » Fri May 12, 2017 11:16 am

pdq67 wrote:My car had a '66, .040" over, 300hp/327 in it when I got it back. I overhauled it and gave it to my Nephew not knowing that all I had to do was bore the mains to the 350SS block size and then use it as almost a period correct block.

I did this almost 20 years ago and it is still sitting on an engine stand in his garage so go figure?? He also has a great '68 or '69, 302" Ford V-8 sitting on the floor. I sold him a Ford F4B true hi-rise intake for it and it just sit's there too.

pdq67
Try to get it back?
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.

GOSFAST
Expert
Expert
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:09 am
Location: Long Island

Re: 1966 350SS block.

Post by GOSFAST » Fri May 12, 2017 11:19 am

engineguyBill wrote:As I recall the 350" engine was available ONLY in Camaros in 1967 and this 350 block had small journal crankshaft. Same block casting # for 302", 327" and 350" in 1967 only.
Hi Bill, the RS/SS '67 Camaro was most definitely a L/J unit.

It had a L/J "dimpled" rod with the S/J rod bolts, I have a number of sets of these OEM rods still here on the shelf.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I don't have the block number available any longer (that I'm aware of) but we did build a bunch of these in the early '80's. First thing was notify the customers we wouldn't reuse any of these rods due to the 11/32" rod bolts. I do have a shot below here of the rods for comparison, left one is OEM S/J, center is the Camaro rod, and right is the later rods. You can see the nut size in the photo, 1/2" socket on the left and center rods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sept. 2019 - Drag-Week Winner - New York Street Ride 7.23+ @ 196+ @ 3800#+

Post Reply