Lifter link bar

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
Re: Lifter link bar

Post by 1972ho »

They are made by crane and looks like I need to buy a newer set,because if this one failed the others will soon follow I got lucky and nothing else was damaged will need two lifter bushings replaced.
cknight

Post by cknight »

If those are really Crane (locking bar doesn't look correct, and there's lots of knockoffs out there), they are well over 25 years old. The one-piece rivet holding the guidebar, plus the black oxide and minimal radius on the necked-down band on the body are the clues on that. Are the axles retained with a circlip (ears for snap ring pliers), or a plain wire ring? Regards, Chase
Last edited by cknight on Tue May 30, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

I'll take a picture of the ones that are still living that rivet looks different on some of the others.Plus this little engine is just worn out and it's time for a lot of other new parts.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

The fact that rivets differ on your roller lifters set to set tells me that something is funky before your usage started. 25 year old roller lifters, really?

I am curious how a few hear can tell from those pictures supplied so far how they know the camshaft is walking back and forth enough to wipe out the rollers which in turn are taking out a tie bar connection. Not saying its not possible for that series of events, I just cannot see enough from looking at the somewhat undamaged lifters to tell that was happening. I guess when he gets the engine torn down the timing set condition will help prove or end that theory as well as if the engine has a camshaft thrust button or camshaft retainer plate? Most solid roller lifters I've seen have the roller surface above the bottom surfaces of the lifter body so that the camshaft can move back and forth quite a bit and not necessarily destroy the lifter or link bar connection. Camshaft walk will damage camshaft lobes as most cam lobes are ground with a small front/rear cant on the lobe to help keep down camshaft front rear thrust.

I hope the OP lets us know what he finds on tear down, it may tell a lot, but I still think weak link rivets might have been the cause. Once that lifter turned in the bore, the roller and lifter would self destruct very quickly.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Here are a couple that are not damaged and the rivets look different,And some how the timing chain is stretched out of shape and it was new 10 months ago and the only other damage is the lifter bore and it's not really beat up most of it came from having to push that lifter out the bottom because that anvil area was kind of pounded out so it wouldn't come up.This is pic of a new catalog classic lifter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cknight

Post by cknight »

Is it a circlip or a round wire ring that retains the axles? What this the O.D. of the roller wheel? Thanks, Chase
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

That one lifter looks cracked at the rivet hole too....
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

pamotorman wrote:the wear on the roller axle tell me the roller went first JMHO
Yup. Think the ones that are telling you the roller failed then took the bar have it right.

Is there rust on the lifter body? It might be a clue on what happened to the bearings.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

No rust and the there are c clips holding the axles on I think I just had these lifters running in this engine to long and they starting to crack at the roller anvil.
cknight

Post by cknight »

If they were Crane with circlips, they would be over 30 years old. The image from May 30 above could be Crane, but the one piece rivet still indicates 25+ years old. Regards, Chase
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Well if so that's some kind of longevity for a 6400-8100 rpm engine.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Doesn't mean 30 years of service just 30 years old. May have been shelved 25 years ago and pulled back into service in a time of desperation...lol. Being made 30 years ago it is possible they were made with quality usa made steel. Not much of our steel come from in our own Mills anymore.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

1972ho wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 12:38 am Anybody know how the rivet on these link bar break off,and do you think I should change out the rest of them seeing how this one broke.
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
I've had a similar experience and posted about it here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64147
Kevin
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

If that’s the post on my compcam lifters those had the snap rings were missing in two of the lifters and that was the cause and I sent them back to comp and gave me another cam and set of lifters.