Muffler Tests

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Muffler Tests

Post by pdq67 »

travis wrote:I know the test is old, but since someone changed the name of my post the point of it was kind of missed. Paul (aka PDQ67) had mentioned several times about never seeing a dyno test comparing the perforated core glass packs compared to other mufflers, and I had this magazine handy.

The dynomax VT mufflers tend to rattle within just a few thousand miles...I think they quit making them.

I'm not a fan of glasspacks myself. Hooker Aerochambers and spin-techs are pretty much my go to mufflers now, although I really like the super turbos on my F-150 as they made long distance driving much more enjoyable. I've used a pair of Pypes M80's (basically a 14" race bullet) on both my truck and my Suburban and hated them. The noise was just insane
Travis,

What are the old Walker/Dynomax/Thrush, smooth perforated inner pipe real glass packs called? You know, the red painted ones.

The early ones were made like three-piece cans and now they are, "hydro-formed".

And I like their, "cackle"...

pdq67
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

pdq67 wrote:
travis wrote:I know the test is old, but since someone changed the name of my post the point of it was kind of missed. Paul (aka PDQ67) had mentioned several times about never seeing a dyno test comparing the perforated core glass packs compared to other mufflers, and I had this magazine handy.

The dynomax VT mufflers tend to rattle within just a few thousand miles...I think they quit making them.

I'm not a fan of glasspacks myself. Hooker Aerochambers and spin-techs are pretty much my go to mufflers now, although I really like the super turbos on my F-150 as they made long distance driving much more enjoyable. I've used a pair of Pypes M80's (basically a 14" race bullet) on both my truck and my Suburban and hated them. The noise was just insane
Travis,

What are the old Walker/Dynomax/Thrush, smooth perforated inner pipe real glass packs called? You know, the red painted ones.

The early ones were made like three-piece cans and now they are, "hydro-formed".

And I like their, "cackle"...

pdq67
Thrush Magnum Glasspacks are for sure perforated cores. Most other glasspacks have the louvered cores. I can't remember of the top of my head which others have the perf cores.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Like Joe, I have tested many, MANY different mufflers for SOUND level as well as for minimum horsepower loss.

I have found the offerings from "Extreme Technologies Mufflers" to work very well for both scenarios.
Especially their "square/oval" mufflers.
http://www.extrememufflers.com 805 584-2984

Just about anything will suffice though, with using only a 350 horsepower V8 engine; as in some tests.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Travis,

Found it.

"Thrush" with the picture of the mad woodpecker.

pdq67
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Walter R. Malik wrote:Like Joe, I have tested many, MANY different mufflers for SOUND level as well as for minimum horsepower loss.

I have found the offerings from "Extreme Technologies Mufflers" to work very well for both scenarios.
Especially their "square/oval" mufflers.
http://www.extrememufflers.com 805 584-2984

Just about anything will suffice though, with using only a 350 horsepower V8 engine; as in some tests.
Looks like a perforated core glasspack with more case volume, kind of like some of the dynomax ultra flows but with a case that will fit into a tighter space. What does that do to the sound? Does it help get rid of some of the crackle and pop like you get with a 4" round case glasspack?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I have used small case Magna flow in the rear and a bullet style straight through middle muffler. No restriction and virtually no crack or drone in the exhaust. Bit louder than I would have expected, but there is obviously a choice to be made.

I changed to this setup after I blew up a turbo muffler when the engine decided to fart through the exhaust at 6000 rpm during deceleration and I had to go and pickup from the street what remained of it.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Test like this make it seem like you need a restrictor on exhaust to make power....
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Orr89rocz wrote:Test like this make it seem like you need a restrictor on exhaust to make power....

If that were true, every Pro Stocker, Comp, SS and Stocker would be adding restriction.

I've found if a muffler makes it quicker than open exhaust, the collector length is too short.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

I put a Dynomax Super Turbo and catback on my DD 4 door Blazer a few years ago. I didn't really notice much difference in sound until I removed the cat. Sounds much better now. It's just a single exit, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust pipe instead of the OEM 2.25" crush bent system.

With the addition of a K&N FIPK, it ran 15.8s with a 2.2 60' on BFG Radial TA's with 250k miles. Surprised the shit out of me @ 4k lbs and 200hp.

At that weight & power, it shouldn't run that. All the calculators show mid 16's at best. Even at 2 door weight of 3700lbs, it shows 16.2s.

I realize this isn't fast. But this is the last vehicle I raced lately so it's all I have for the moment lol. Gotta get my fix somehow.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
adam728

Post by adam728 »

Orr89rocz wrote:Test like this make it seem like you need a restrictor on exhaust to make power....
Makes me wonder what their whole engine setup was in terms of intake/heads/cam/headers/etc.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

adam728 wrote:
Makes me wonder what their whole engine setup was in terms of intake/heads/cam/headers/etc.
Something that should have made more than 412 HP. AFR 195 heads, 292 magnum, etc on a 350 sbc
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Travis,

Outside of the noise and cackle just how did the old W/D/T smooth perforated inner pipe real glass packs do in your opinion?

pdq67
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

pdq67 wrote:Travis,

Outside of the noise and cackle just how did the old W/D/T smooth perforated inner pipe real glass packs do in your opinion?

pdq67
The first couple of posts was pics from the magazine article. Are you not able to see them? If not, they was basically middle of the road out of the muffflers tested even though they flowed about 170 cfm better than the turbo type mufflers. They where also nearly 4x louder than the super turbos
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Thanks Travis,

I didn't know which one it was.

In other words, funnel the inlet and install an open shoebox on the front to take some of the noise out of them, right?

I know I'm way, "old-school", but I like the fact that the smooth perforated inner pipe real glass packs are true straight through mufflers, even if they, "cackle"! And I love the, "cackle"!!

You haven't lived until you have heard a hopped up, 261" Gimmie-6 banger, with split manifolds on it going through a pair of, "smitties", up and down the rpms. To this day, I remember Vic's older brother Lester's car walking away from my '283/stick '57 Chevy late that Sat. evening and it raise's the hair on the back of my neck!!

That car's engine ended up in a '55 Chevy 2-dr post that had something like 5.38 reg's and it won many an 1/8 mile drag strip trophy's. It was earlier in Lester's '51/'52 or so Chevy convert.

pdq67
MetricMuscle
Post by MetricMuscle »

modok wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:01 pm The "flowtech afterburner" is real cheezy compared to a flowtech, same design just kind of like a cheap knock off, smaller holes, smaller body. WOW I didn't know it was so old! I guess things change slow in the muffler world.
"black widow" is kind of cool too, of similar principle, I bet it would flow well
Has anybody tried a Black Widow muffler? I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos, they have that "chambered" muffler sound but a straight thru design. Also claim to be all tone and no drone.