General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Muffler Tests

Post by travis »

July '99 issue of Car Craft
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by speedtalk on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Had generic title
jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Re: This one is for you, PDQ67

Post by jcisworthy »

Were they all the same inlet and outlet size?
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Yes... all 2.5" i/o, all offset i/o except for the glasspack and race magnum obviously
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

The "flowtech afterburner" is real cheezy compared to a flowtech, same design just kind of like a cheap knock off, smaller holes, smaller body. WOW I didn't know it was so old! I guess things change slow in the muffler world.
"black widow" is kind of cool too, of similar principle, I bet it would flow well
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

modok wrote:The "flowtech afterburner" is real cheezy compared to a flowtech, same design just kind of like a cheap knock off, smaller holes, smaller body. WOW I didn't know it was so old! I guess things change slow in the muffler world.
"black widow" is kind of cool too, of similar principle, I bet it would flow well
Black widow?
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

So...the highest flow muffler doesn't not make the most HP....
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If you want the most power out of a Oval muffler when you floor the loud pedal check out the Dynomax VT line!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Muffler Tests

Post by FuelieNova »

I don't think they make the dynomax VT anymore, too many problems with the flapper.
Tom
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have dyno tested mufflers for over 30 years, and there are none better than MagnaFlow-- I have seen as little as a 4 to 5 HP loss on 900 HP engines, and at the drag strip, I have seen the car run faster WITH the MagnaFlow mufflers than with no mufflers at all-- That dyno test you posted was made in 1999--VERY OLD

JOE SHERMAN RACING
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

133 dB for the DynoMax Race Magnum! How much flow and how many dB would a similar length of 2.5" open pipe produce? :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Cougar5.0
Another Muffler Test Article:

Post by Cougar5.0 »

December 2003 issue of "5.0 Mustang and Super Fords" magazine.

http://www.v6z24.com/howto/mufflerchoice
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

FuelieNova wrote:I don't think they make the dynomax VT anymore, too many problems with the flapper.
Tom
Exactly what I suspected would happen with them, as I told others who suggested it might give me quieter, without losing power on my 460+ ride. With the heat and the corrosion over time in mufflers,l and not to mention the carbon, the spring and the pivot would fail to work as designed. I also heard the youtube cars with it, and I wasn't impressed by its quietness either. So I am not surprised it failed.
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

Truckedup wrote:So...the highest flow muffler doesn't not make the most HP....
Nor the loudest ones LOL
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I know the test is old, but since someone changed the name of my post the point of it was kind of missed. Paul (aka PDQ67) had mentioned several times about never seeing a dyno test comparing the perforated core glass packs compared to other mufflers, and I had this magazine handy.

The dynomax VT mufflers tend to rattle within just a few thousand miles...I think they quit making them.

I'm not a fan of glasspacks myself. Hooker Aerochambers and spin-techs are pretty much my go to mufflers now, although I really like the super turbos on my F-150 as they made long distance driving much more enjoyable. I've used a pair of Pypes M80's (basically a 14" race bullet) on both my truck and my Suburban and hated them. The noise was just insane