Pro filer 290 vs Trick flow 280

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

80iowaBu
Pro filer 290 vs Trick flow 280

Post by 80iowaBu »

Getting ready to order heads for my 466 big block chevy build. And I'm torn between these two sets of heads. I have a wieand team g 4500 flange oval port intake, set of domed srp pistons. Factory forged crank, eagle I beam rods. Trying to make as much power as I possibly can. This engine will have a solid roller camshaft. This is for street/strip car. More along the lines of strip car with limited street driving. Either set of heads I end up with will be worked over. So if anyone has any experience with these two castings I'd like some input so I don't start off on the wrong foot.
user-17438

Re: Pro filer 290 vs Trick flow 280

Post by user-17438 »

I liked the trick flow better myself for a 496 I built for a customer, I got them bare no valve job. with some fluff work and a mid 260@.050 they made 700hp. pump gas

Profiler head is good also, depending on how high you want to make power. that will determine what head you need. please post more information. Edelbrock makes a great head also. as far as oval vs square.. I think its mostly marketing at that level.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The trick flows may be 10 CCs smaller , but by there flow numbers they more a good amount more air in the all important .300" to .400" lift range.
If you get them and do not have a flow bench to guide your porting rework then I would not touch a thing about them!
Getting fat flow numbers down in that lift range is far more difficult then reworking the head for bigger high lift numbers!!!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

I have tried both heads while researching my BBC book. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand of heads here but you had better have a good idea of how to port them.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

I would also take a VERY GOOD look at the Flotek 290's from Chad Speier... Very Very nice castings, Chad can load them with his stuff for YOUR needs, and still be a bunch of $$$ savings. And since the $$$ savings, get Chad to work them and be about the same $$$ as the others with a semi custom head for your needs...

John