Race Engine Challenge

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by Walter R. Malik »

GARY C wrote:If it is a "Race Engine Challenge" then pick a race class and have everyone build an engine for that class under their rule restriction...After all that is what Race Engine builders do isn't it?
That sounds like a decent idea as long as it is a class which has competitive, multiple brands involved.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
GARY C wrote:If it is a "Race Engine Challenge" then pick a race class and have everyone build an engine for that class under their rule restriction...After all that is what Race Engine builders do isn't it?
That sounds like a decent idea as long as it is a class which has competitive, multiple brands involved.
Something like this that would include power adders would be a change http://www.mirdrag.com/v2/rules/pdf/2015/15_x275.pdf and then an NA class with a ci and valve angle limit but everything else goes. not sure if you would open it up to 4 valve engines or not.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Walter R. Malik wrote:Some of these extremely expensive, time consuming and almost impossible suggestions are rather humorous. \:D/

Especially ones by those who have no inkling of ever placing their own entry into one of these competitions. :roll:
Just a thought from someone who wishes he had the time and $$$ to enter one of these events...

Give everyone the specs for a realistic car configuration (or for two classes, one more limited and another more serious) that can be modeled in a proven drag strip simulation program that allows entering full power curves. I'm thinking vehicle weight, gearing, tire size, # of trans gears & the gear ratios, converter stall (assuming an automatic), vehicle drag coefficient, and... ?

All the competitors build an engine to the modeled application, test the engines on the same dyno (yeah, typical contest stuff), then the actual power curves for each entry are plugged into the sim program to see whose build "runs" the best predicted #s. It's not perfect, but it does apply something of a reality check on the results that an arbitrary scoring formula wouldn't necessarily show.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

We could all build virtual engines on desktop dyno and enter in a virtual engine masters challenge...lol. Best part its somewhat free and nobody gets their hands dirty.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

cgarb wrote:We could all build virtual engines on desktop dyno and enter in a virtual engine masters challenge...lol. Best part its somewhat free and nobody gets their hands dirty.
Don't laugh... I'm 99% sure that PHR actually did that one year in conjunction w/their EMC competition.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Nice...well nothing surprises me in this world much anymore. Who wants to drive a racing simulator...not me. I would rather make my own.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Don't fall into the trap of killing innovation and modification like the EMC has done.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

gmrocket wrote:Don't fall into the trap of killing innovation and modification like the EMC has done.
Amen!

And also don't fall into the trap of pandering to the largest demographic of readers like EMC has done.
greg

Post by greg »

real good suggestions on here guys... =D>
TexBlackwell

Post by TexBlackwell »

plovett wrote:
gmrocket wrote:Don't fall into the trap of killing innovation and modification like the EMC has done.
Amen!

And also don't fall into the trap of pandering to the largest demographic of readers like EMC has done.
From what I hear through the grape vine you don't have worry about them pandering.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

That's good news. let the engine builders experiment within some rules, keep them liberal enough so non mainstream engines can compete.

I think you should keep your first year of doing this simple so it goes smooth with less chance of things going wrong.

Although I would like to see a small block limited cube class..min 355, max 365. No factoring, factory block, non factory stroke/bore ok, any steel rod, any ring pack(3), wet sump, any catalog pan, any headers that fit the dyno(no crossover or upswept) , 11.5 comp? Any cam(no mushroom lifters), .750" max lift, 1.8 max ratio rocker, iron or aluminum 2 valve head(no billet or custom one offs), any port mods within the port casting(welding &epoxy ok), int port entrance must be within 1" of factory port centerline horizontal&vertical, any valve size(no Ti), any cast single 4 intake with a catalog #, any port mods within the casting. Carb, EFI ignition?

1975 and earlier chev, ford Windsor&Cleveland, Pontiac, mopar, AMC, Buick, Olds ...could easily fit this cube range.

3500 to 8k 8)
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

GMrocket stated don't fall into the trap of killing innovation and modifying parts. Thats my main bitch at NASCAR nowdays, they (NASCAR) have the teams (engine builders) will/desire beat down to depressed i would think by now. MPO Mark.
mvanbeelen

Post by mvanbeelen »

As this is based in Charlotte, the home of the NASCAR teams, I would like to see a formula that takes into account part throttle power. There often isn't enough traction for full throttle in stock car racing. Maybe some formula that takes into account full throttle power, combined with part throttle power, and normalized for displacement. Give the builders a range of, say, 55-65% throttle, with the actual setting to be determined at the event. Use whatever other rules you have in mind, fuel, classes, parts, etc.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Well that would certainly put a premium on huge carbs/TBs...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

naaaa Bill that would be regulated too.