First time out with new 412Reher Morrison looking for opinions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Re: First time out with new 412Reher Morrison looking for opinions

Post by JoePorting »

When's the last time you replaced the valve springs?
Joe Facciano
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

JoePorting wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:18 pm When's the last time you replaced the valve springs?
I put new ones on it about 25 passes ago. The same ones Reher Morrison had on the build sheet they were COMP. brand. I had the old ones tested and they were down a bit on psi but not as bad as I had figured they would have been.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

VegaJohn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:22 pm
ClassAct wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:13 pm
VegaJohn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 am F-Bird thanks for the advice. I am going to put the 1050 and super victor on. I have also pulled the trigger on buying a pair of 660s and a Holley Pro Dominator and linkage. I may not get in on this season but for sure next. I’m also going to swap my 1.6 exhaust rockers for some 1.5s to try and keep a bit more air in my cylinders. I will freshen the engine after this season. It still cranks 210psi across the board which up here and with a cam that’s too big and compression that’s too low seems pretty stout to me.
I'd never talk you out of a tunnel ram, especially the Holley Pro Dominator, as that's my favorite as cast TR manifold, but I'd damn sure like to talk you out of those obsolete 660's. I know the hate will fly but those things were useless by the mid 1980's and that is being kind to them. Sell them to someone who is pining away for the glory days and call someone like Mark Whitener and see what he says. Who knows, he may tell you I'm an idiot and the 660 is the best thing going. I doubt that, but I've seen way worse happen.

Someone like Mark can fix you up with a pair of carbs that will embarrass those 660's...at least I think he can. He may tell you something other than what I've said and I don't speak for him. So ask him and do what he says.

I had a pair that were new in the box and and I couldn't give them away. They went to the scrap guy.
If Joe Sherman was still here he would say otherwise. I’m going to try them. Maybe I’ll end up with a couple 750hps eventually. This is just a bracket race car. I have no one to beat and my wallet doesn’t allow me to call for custom carb etc

I get the money thing. If nothing else, call someone like Whitener or BLP or Braswell or Dale Cubic or some other carb people and let them set them up for you. You'll be glad you did.

My experience with TR's and automatics is if the converter is on the tight side, it will want more plenum. If the converter is correct, or you run a clutch, it won't like that extra volume.
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

ClassAct wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:26 pm
ClassAct wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:13 pm

I'd never talk you out of a tunnel ram, especially the Holley Pro Dominator, as that's my favorite as cast TR manifold, but I'd damn sure like to talk you out of those obsolete 660's. I know the hate will fly but those things were useless by the mid 1980's and that is being kind to them. Sell them to someone who is pining away for the glory days and call someone like Mark Whitener and see what he says. Who knows, he may tell you I'm an idiot and the 660 is the best thing going. I doubt that, but I've seen way worse happen.

Someone like Mark can fix you up with a pair of carbs that will embarrass those 660's...at least I think he can. He may tell you something other than what I've said and I don't speak for him. So ask him and do what he says.

I had a pair that were new in the box and and I couldn't give them away. They went to the scrap guy.
If Joe Sherman was still here he would say otherwise. I’m going to try them. Maybe I’ll end up with a couple 750hps eventually. This is just a bracket race car. I have no one to beat and my wallet doesn’t allow me to call for custom carb etc

I get the money thing. If nothing else, call someone like Whitener or BLP or Braswell or Dale Cubic or some other carb people and let them set them up for you. You'll be glad you did.

My experience with TR's and automatics is if the converter is on the tight side, it will want more plenum. If the converter is correct, or you run a clutch, it won't like that extra volume.
Thank you for constructive tips. I appreciate all you guys tell me. I have about 16k Canadian into this whole car so I’m happy with how it’s has gone so far.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

VegaJohn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:45 pm
ClassAct wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Thank you for constructive tips. I appreciate all you guys tell me. I have about 16k Canadian into this whole car so I’m happy with how it’s has gone so far.

Running the numbers you are with your cash outlay is nothing to be ashamed of. I've seen much more money spent to go slower. Seen it many many times.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You cannot even buy a decent used Honda Civic for $16K (can).
splitdecision71

Post by splitdecision71 »

Very cool thread! I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. Im in Texas just an hour and a half north of Houston. I have a Chevy II with PG and 1.76 first gear. Car weighs 2850# with me in it and with the 421 sbc I just put together it has run a best of 6.41 at 107.66 mph. I was running 4.88 with 31x13 rear tire and just switched to 5.86 gear. I am 14.5:1 and leave off trans brake at 5900 rpm. We are similar in set ups so it will be interesting. Thanks for the thread. Lots of good info. Maybe I can contribute a little after I get some passes in from down here at a lower elevation.
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

splitdecision71 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:02 pm Very cool thread! I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. Im in Texas just an hour and a half north of Houston. I have a Chevy II with PG and 1.76 first gear. Car weighs 2850# with me in it and with the 421 sbc I just put together it has run a best of 6.41 at 107.66 mph. I was running 4.88 with 31x13 rear tire and just switched to 5.86 gear. I am 14.5:1 and leave off trans brake at 5900 rpm. We are similar in set ups so it will be interesting. Thanks for the thread. Lots of good info. Maybe I can contribute a little after I get some passes in from down here at a lower elevation.
Awesome, what heads are you running? I’m thinking you are going to improve a lot with a few passes and some tuning. I hope you have wheelie bars. My Vega never needed them with the 4.88s but it would drag the bumper without them now. I wish I had your air here lol.
splitdecision71

VegaJohn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:21 pm
splitdecision71 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:02 pm Very cool thread! I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. Im in Texas just an hour and a half north of Houston. I have a Chevy II with PG and 1.76 first gear. Car weighs 2850# with me in it and with the 421 sbc I just put together it has run a best of 6.41 at 107.66 mph. I was running 4.88 with 31x13 rear tire and just switched to 5.86 gear. I am 14.5:1 and leave off trans brake at 5900 rpm. We are similar in set ups so it will be interesting. Thanks for the thread. Lots of good info. Maybe I can contribute a little after I get some passes in from down here at a lower elevation.
Awesome, what heads are you running? I’m thinking you are going to improve a lot with a few passes and some tuning. I hope you have wheelie bars. My Vega never needed them with the 4.88s but it would drag the bumper without them now. I wish I had your air here lol.
I have Brodix 11x max ported to the 1209 felpro. 2.10 intake and 1.625 exhaust. I shift at 8 to 8200. New combo im trying to figure out. I think gear was killing it. 1.45 60ft leaving at 5900. It was like I was leaving in second gear if it was a standard. I have an eagle light weight rotating assembly and think the lesser rotating mass was not helping either. Im new at this so just learning all I can!.......No wheelie bars but may have to get some!!!!!
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

splitdecision71 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:37 pm
I have Brodix 11x max ported to the 1209 felpro. 2.10 intake and 1.625 exhaust. I shift at 8 to 8200. New combo im trying to figure out. I think gear was killing it. 1.45 60ft leaving at 5900. It was like I was leaving in second gear if it was a standard. I have an eagle light weight rotating assembly and think the lesser rotating mass was not helping either. Im new at this so just learning all I can!.......No wheelie bars but may have to get some!!!!!
I bet you end up with a 60ft in the 1.28-1.34 range. My best is a 1.31, but my car is a bit lighter. You should be making some great power. Keep me posted as you get some passes on it.
splitdecision71

VegaJohn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:35 pm
splitdecision71 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:37 pm

I bet you end up with a 60ft in the 1.28-1.34 range. My best is a 1.31, but my car is a bit lighter. You should be making some great power. Keep me posted as you get some passes on it.
Will do sir and thanks for your post! Loved seeing it through. That doesnt seem to happen often. I will post results here. Just need some good weather. Nothing but rain and tornadoes around here lately. Looking for more tomorrow!
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

splitdecesion, vega john ,
No knocking your combos but I think both you need to work on your chassis before look for more power. Ive read posts by both of you looking for answers.
I have a 72 camaro leaf spring w/caltracs 3200lbs at the line 422 stockblock 11.5 cr 260/268@.050 cam 5300 stall off the shelf Coan converter. With 4.56 gears it went 1.38 60' 6.31 1/8 mile. shifting at 6700rpm with a 750 holley hp body on a 750 dp carb. Both your cars are lighter have ladder bars and probably more power so I would think both your cars would be running 5.80s or better. I'm not an expert but the car hooks whether the tracks no prep or full prepped. splitdecesion do you run at Evadale or Pine Valley .Willing to help find answers if I can . Dan
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Yiu would need to also state the MPH 1/8 th, with the ET.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

F -bird,108 mph and about 20% calculated converter slippage . Have since changed to 5.14 s converter slippage down to10% . Motors been tuned down to run 6.50 index class at this point. Dan
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

6.50camaro wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:13 pm splitdecesion, vega john ,
No knocking your combos but I think both you need to work on your chassis before look for more power. Ive read posts by both of you looking for answers.
I have a 72 camaro leaf spring w/caltracs 3200lbs at the line 422 stockblock 11.5 cr 260/268@.050 cam 5300 stall off the shelf Coan converter. With 4.56 gears it went 1.38 60' 6.31 1/8 mile. shifting at 6700rpm with a 750 holley hp body on a 750 dp carb. Both your cars are lighter have ladder bars and probably more power so I would think both your cars would be running 5.80s or better. I'm not an expert but the car hooks whether the tracks no prep or full prepped. splitdecesion do you run at Evadale or Pine Valley .Willing to help find answers if I can . Dan
Bring your car to the track I race at we will see. The best air I ever see is 4000DA