How Radical Is Your Naturally Aspirated or Nitrous Street Car with Full Accessories Including A/C?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

peejay
Guru
Guru
Re: How Radical Is Your Naturally Aspirated or Nitrous Street Car with Full Accessories Including A/C?

Post by peejay »

BradH wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:36 am
peejay wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:13 am
BradH wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:17 am
Not cheap, either.

If I bought a Hellcat and threw some more money at it, I could run comparable ETs and have AC for the drive to & from the track. But then I'd have a big(ger) hole in my bank account, too.

Not my daily driver, so it's much simpler to save the $ and keep sweating on hot summer trips to the track. :lol:
Plus, Hellcats, and all other cars built on that chassis, are absolutely horrible cars to drive. Completely horrible. They are very large, and very heavy, and the driver controls are totally divorced from the road. It's like driving a video game via smartphone app.
My apology in advance for going off the OP's topic...

I saw a YT video of a Demon Challenger owner trying to break into the 9s while running a series of 10.0x. He launched off the factory trans brake and the 8-speed auto trans was allowed to do all the shifting (kept both hands on the steering wheel the whole time). And when he finished without getting his 9.xxx, he said he was going to take it to some shop to let them work on it.

It left me with the impression that the guy (a) wasn't actually doing much "driving" to run those times and (b) he didn't know on his own how to make his $$$ ride any quicker. It really was akin to the video game analogy made above by peejay.
You've gotten a car a little sideways before, I'm sure. You know the feedback through the steering wheel you get when that happens, and you can feel the various forces working against the front contact patches, that allow you to correct the slide before it' becomes a problem?

Gone. No feel at all.

It makes all the videos you see of meatheads looping their Challengers and such while leaving Cars & Coffee make a little more sense. Giving the drivers the benefit of the doubt, they probably didn't REALIZE there was a problem until it was too late.