How Radical Is Your Naturally Aspirated or Nitrous Street Car with Full Accessories Including A/C?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: How Radical Is Your Naturally Aspirated or Nitrous Street Car with Full Accessories Including A/C?

Post by CamKing »

ptuomov wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 pm I had a 2010 AMG E63. Factory stock, all conveniences and complies with emissions rules. 6.2 liter normally aspirated engine, 518 hp. Did quarter mile in mid twelves and 113 mph. Is that radical?
I have cam cores on the shelf for that M156 engine, and multiple grinds available.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: How Radical Is Your Naturally Aspirated or Nitrous Street Car with Full Accessories Including A/C?

Post by cjperformance »

Racer71 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:16 pm My old fox body R451 dry sump block needle roller cam bearings Yates heads 366 cid BG king demon TKO2 trans still had ps etc had to ditch the ac as there wasn’t really a easy way to mount the oem compressor. Still had 100% interior with a 6pt cage made 915-920 at the rear wheels. Was not fun to drive on the street with a solid disc clutch. Cost several dollars per mile in racegas to drive around.
I think you missed "street car" and "full accessories inc A/c" in the topic heading! :lol:
Craig.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

cjperformance wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:30 pm
Racer71 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:16 pm My old fox body R451 dry sump block needle roller cam bearings Yates heads 366 cid BG king demon TKO2 trans still had ps etc had to ditch the ac as there wasn’t really a easy way to mount the oem compressor. Still had 100% interior with a 6pt cage made 915-920 at the rear wheels. Was not fun to drive on the street with a solid disc clutch. Cost several dollars per mile in racegas to drive around.
I think you missed "street car" and "full accessories inc A/c" in the topic heading! :lol:
One comes to mind is a car in Mass that runs 10.90 and turns the A/C on after the run. 406 with home ported Dart SS heads done right.
Gene Paul Gerry!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

CamKing wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:50 pm
ptuomov wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 pm I had a 2010 AMG E63. Factory stock, all conveniences and complies with emissions rules. 6.2 liter normally aspirated engine, 518 hp. Did quarter mile in mid twelves and 113 mph. Is that radical?
I have cam cores on the shelf for that M156 engine, and multiple grinds available.
It’s a good car, perhaps even a great car, but I traded it for a newer e63 which I again traded in for a newer e63. My 2018 e63s wagon is the car that I would have if I could only have one car.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Radical, naturally aspirated, and a/c... for me, that's one of those "You can pick two" concepts.

I suppose adding a/c to my car might be possible with some type of aftermarket installation, but it had never crossed my mind. And never will again. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

BradH wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:23 am Radical, naturally aspirated, and a/c... for me, that's one of those "You can pick two" concepts.
+1
:D
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

2 options depending or rpm for aircon, 1- cheaper option simply use an rpm switch in series to the compressor clutch, turn compressor off when over say 5000rpm or whateverrpm you desire, this works great if the belt can handle the rpm you run and you simply want to lose the a/c drag at higher rpm.
2- use an electric aircon compressor, there's no free lunch, they take from 30 to 60amps to run, which is drag via the alternator so for full Hp you still want to turn it off when WOT is activated. But great for lack of room, neatness of engine or lack of extra belt/pulleys etc.
Having something radical with all the fruit these days is practical and not hard.
Craig.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

cjperformance wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:23 pm Having something radical with all the fruit these days is practical and not hard.
Not cheap, either.

If I bought a Hellcat and threw some more money at it, I could run comparable ETs and have AC for the drive to & from the track. But then I'd have a big(ger) hole in my bank account, too.

Not my daily driver, so it's much simpler to save the $ and keep sweating on hot summer trips to the track. :lol:
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

BradH wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:17 am
cjperformance wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:23 pm Having something radical with all the fruit these days is practical and not hard.
Not cheap, either.

If I bought a Hellcat and threw some more money at it, I could run comparable ETs and have AC for the drive to & from the track. But then I'd have a big(ger) hole in my bank account, too.

Not my daily driver, so it's much simpler to save the $ and keep sweating on hot summer trips to the track. :lol:

Yeah I'm hearing ya! The dollar usually wins in the luxury V wallet race :lol:
Craig.
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

This is mine.... just a smidgen under 600HP, idled great with the A/C on.
IMG_0302.JPG
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Took the ac off my 67 A body yrs ago I dont see it lasting long with high rpm blasts and always have the window down
Will be my new daily here soon. Not too radical, 383 healthy solid roller 6 spd 4.11s, perfect for grocery trips.
willbe down the 1/4 before next summer....may take it over to Westech to have them double ck the tune beforeheand..all takes $.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

For years I drove a car that built 4" of vacuum at a 1500rpm idle. I could get it to idle down to 1200 but vacuum dropped to 2" and throttle response was "soggy".

No A/C because I bought the car out of Wisconsin and the previous owner removed the A/C.

Next one I bought came from Alabama. I only bought it because of the A/C. It was actually a funny kind of story. I'm at the Eastern States Championships one year and an old friend from Alabama comes up to me with a smartphone and starts scrolling pics and says "Here, this is the car I'm going to give you." No thanks, I have no room for cars. At the National Championships that year, we're talking up stuff, and I ask him if the car still had air conditioning. "I'm in Alabama, of COURSE it has air conditioning!" SOLD.
Due to personal preferences, and the rules of the class the car runs in, it must remain incredibly stock drivetrain-wise. I've been driving modified cars since forever, modifying cars professionally for 15 years, and I have come to the conclusion that modifying cars makes them not enjoyable because of all of the squeaks and rattles and noises and vibration and other BS.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Not cheap, either.

Plus, Hellcats, and all other cars built on that chassis, are absolutely horrible cars to drive. Completely horrible. They are very large, and very heavy, and the driver controls are totally divorced from the road. It's like driving a video game via smartphone app.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

The last new car that I bought new that didn’t feel like video game and instead had that old school mechanical feel was that normally aspirated 2010 AMG E63. If you like driving and maintaining uses cars, you should pick one up. It is a great car.
Put Search Keywords Here
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

peejay wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:13 am
Not cheap, either.

Plus, Hellcats, and all other cars built on that chassis, are absolutely horrible cars to drive. Completely horrible. They are very large, and very heavy, and the driver controls are totally divorced from the road. It's like driving a video game via smartphone app.
My apology in advance for going off the OP's topic...

I saw a YT video of a Demon Challenger owner trying to break into the 9s while running a series of 10.0x. He launched off the factory trans brake and the 8-speed auto trans was allowed to do all the shifting (kept both hands on the steering wheel the whole time). And when he finished without getting his 9.xxx, he said he was going to take it to some shop to let them work on it.

It left me with the impression that the guy (a) wasn't actually doing much "driving" to run those times and (b) he didn't know on his own how to make his $$$ ride any quicker. It really was akin to the video game analogy made above by peejay.