Porting the VW/Audi 8v head with port energy discussion

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: Porting the VW/Audi 8v head with port energy discussion

Post by Carnut1 »

Old project that will get back on track due to lack of focus... a few things on the project have been agreed upon. About 1 3/8" custom y pipe exhaust manifold. Rpm limit 6500-7000rpm, possible aftermarket fuel injection control, probable soon to be in production electric supercharger, cam shaft selection could use some input depending on the boost that may be produced from the electric supercharger. Major chamber welding has been ruled out. 10/1 compression is what will be used for 90 octane. Input welcome. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Mario_Marques

Post by Mario_Marques »

Some inspiration for you in my picture, this is a dyno from a mk1 cabriolet, digifant 2(engine code 2h with 1.8L), totally stock except from complete exhaust system and cat removed, ecu chip, airbox and k&n, distributor advanced and camshaft, this car had originally 98ps(advertised from VW).
I think with a good head the gains can be very impressive, but I am now in the route of replacing it with a 2.0 very similar, code 2E, I have ported the head, but I am not a head speciallist at all, I hope I have not ruined it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

Carnut1 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:52 pm 2017112495150412.jpgAngled ssr experiment string held top right roof intake .35" lift. Notice all three string pics show very steady high speed airflow. Strings did not change position at higher lifts. The angled ssr may not show higher cfm but I believe the smoother the string the more laminar the flow and I feel that is worth power. Input welcome. Thanks, Charlie
Hi Charlie,

Water cooled vw engine is very popular in various forms or combinations in the 1650cc size in folkracing and i find it interesting to read about, thanks.

Yes the laminar flow is kinda misnomer, but i get that the string doesnt look fully turbulent either :D Do you remember testing the angled ssr/different floor angle with a higher test pressure or that there were differences in flow with that?

-juhana
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

It liked the angles ssr floor and final design was set to that. Intake and exhaust. Thanks
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST