LS Coils: Internet Overload: Which ones are the good ones?!?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Elroy
Pro
Pro
Re: LS Coils: Internet Overload: Which ones are the good ones?!?

Post by Elroy »

My vote is for the D514's :D
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

This is an old thread, but just to close out where I went, I ended up getting the D514a (LS2 / LS7) coils with harness and bracket aka GM# 12573190 for $75 on an ebay. Knocked off the rust with the wire wheel on the bench grinder and painted them up nice.

ICT Billet relocation brackets 12573190 for $42 on Amzn. -Went Fender mounted as I just couldn't find a good spot to mount them on the bottom of the block.

-Setting dwell time in holley HP to 5 ms for cranking; 4 ms for running. I think these are fully charged to max current between 4 and 4.6 ms.
I'm running NGK Laser Iridium plugs with a stock 0.043" gap; I think the coils would be happy to run @ 0.050", but I wouldn't try to gap these Iridium plugs that wide.

Adam
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

D585 is the choice. After that, IGN1a.
The GM coils self limit on dwell so you can command whatever you want but it won't change it unless you are lower. The IGN1a's need their own relay per bank because you can really make a welder out of those bad mofo's. :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm This is an old thread, but just to close out where I went, I ended up getting the D514a (LS2 / LS7) coils with harness and bracket aka GM# 12573190 for $75 on an ebay. Knocked off the rust with the wire wheel on the bench grinder and painted them up nice.

ICT Billet relocation brackets 12573190 for $42 on Amzn. -Went Fender mounted as I just couldn't find a good spot to mount them on the bottom of the block.

-Setting dwell time in holley HP to 5 ms for cranking; 4 ms for running. I think these are fully charged to max current between 4 and 4.6 ms.
I'm running NGK Laser Iridium plugs with a stock 0.043" gap; I think the coils would be happy to run @ 0.050", but I wouldn't try to gap these Iridium plugs that wide.

Adam
The LS7 coil is the good one of the bunch, and dwell is actually closer to 3ms on those. Leave plug gaps as-received and definitely keep on using resistor plugs.
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

RW TECH wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:23 pm
NewbVetteGuy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm This is an old thread, but just to close out where I went, I ended up getting the D514a (LS2 / LS7) coils with harness and bracket aka GM# 12573190 for $75 on an ebay. Knocked off the rust with the wire wheel on the bench grinder and painted them up nice.

Adam
The LS7 coil is the good one of the bunch, and dwell is actually closer to 3ms on those. Leave plug gaps as-received and definitely keep on using resistor plugs.
I'm definitely keeping the resistor plug spark plugs (for increased spark duration as I DO care about fuel economy)-and because I'm running EFI and refuse to deal with random EMI noise gremlins.On the Iridium / Platinum spark plugs and gapping them, I think NGK said opening up the gap up to 7 thousandths is ok as long as you use a gap tool made for the thin wire electrodes.

Adam
jalai

Post by jalai »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:52 pm ...
I'm definitely keeping the resistor plug spark plugs (for increased spark duration as I DO care about fuel economy)...
Spark duration actually decreased with resistor plugs.
Example of three different resistance values