LS3 Carbed build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Rowdy Yates
Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by Rowdy Yates »

Got you... I tend to deal with people like Cam Motion, Mike Jones and Martin Smallwood they have the software and the builds to get things right. I get what your saying Gary. Ls3 heads were the reason I sold my 383 and trans combo. 15 degree heads from the factory. Had eddy E-tech heads with work done on the 383, seen that I could get factory race heads for 300 bucks.... Everything was for sell. I do love cylinder heads.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Well. I agree with keeping things on track. Fortunately I have a killer cylinder head guy looking the heads over for hidden flowz. Hope to valve job them soon.
(Sn lives matter)

C h a d
moo5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

slo-svt wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:38 am
Rowdy have you considered applying for a job at SAM. You could replace the curriculum with something completely internet based. Internet based meaning rather than lectures, you could run through other peoples build threads. Then for homework they could go the deepest depths in cyber space and present their findings of other peoples builds to share with the class, meanwhile never learning anything about actual engine development. At graduation they could receive certificates of achievement in "The Google Search Program". I think you would be well suited for a program such as this. Just something to consider.

P.S. I doubt the intended recipient gets to read this so Don if you so concerned with keeping the peace why don't you moderate the people spouting useless information and posting links to 20 build threads from other sites they had nothing to do with on peoples real build threads. (the ones that include real testing and real numbers that aren't fluffed to sell another book)
Good stuff slo-svt....I'm not sure it will sink in where intended but gets my vote for post of the month LOL
too lazy to make power w/o boost
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

CGT wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 pm Well. I agree with keeping things on track. Fortunately I have a killer cylinder head guy looking the heads over for hidden flowz. Hope to valve job them soon.
(Sn lives matter)

C h a d

moo5.jpg
Hey , listen to rowdyates, he reads articles, has in/ex ratios and no data, lol- on a side note, your cow is a cover of a very good Zappa album
Tom
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

www.cidheads.com/products/be-ls3-intake ... or-2-piece
Tom. Whats up?. Bought one of these today. Got any input on overflowz?
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

CGT wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:33 pm www.cidheads.com/products/be-ls3-intake ... or-2-piece
What are you doing, trying to choke that poor engine, lol, Im gonna have to read through this thread again, thats a monster, i assume 4.0 is avr csa if so that translates into over 9000 rpms in 23 degree land if heads are not mis matched
Tom
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

zums wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:25 pm
CGT wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:33 pm www.cidheads.com/products/be-ls3-intake ... or-2-piece
What are you doing, trying to choke that poor engine, lol, Im gonna have to read through this thread again, thats a monster, i assume 4.0 is avr csa if so that translates into over 9000 rpms in 23 degree land if heads are not mis matched
Tom
No 4 inches at the plenum 2.9 at the exit lol. Yeah its a freak show lol
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

CGT wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:59 pm
Tom
Hi C H A D,
nice looking intake,if you get any spare time any chance of a photo of the manifold unbolted,i am interested in how they seal the join (machined groove and rubber seal)
???
would you test AS CAST on the dyno first or would you de-flash it with 60 grit roll??
and also what carb would you prefer with the 4500 flange
it going to be a killer build i hope,still keen to see SN back on the dyno as well
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:38 am
CGT wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:59 pm

Tom
Hi C H A D,
nice looking intake,if you get any spare time any chance of a photo of the manifold unbolted,i am interested in how they seal the join (machined groove and rubber seal)
???
would you test AS CAST on the dyno first or would you de-flash it with 60 grit roll??
and also what carb would you prefer with the 4500 flange
it going to be a killer build i hope,still keen to see SN back on the dyno as well
The picture in that link isn't accurate. I purchased the 1 piece manifold, and they are machined to order so I won't have it for a week or two. It will be tested with little or no work done to it. It is actually smaller in CSA then the super vic I showed pics of a couple pages back. I wasn't thrilled with the price or quality of the Edelbrock so I returned it.

The CID manifold with the deal that John gave me there really wasn't a lot more money and they are available in several different sizes, mine being the smallest one. I have an 8896 1050 dominator that Mark Whitener did for me that I am also eager to see run.

Special needs should be back on the dyno soon......waiting on Randy to come out for the dyno session :-P I'll keep you posted. How is your project going?
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

motor all together,
had to re-clearance pushrod tubes for the 1.3 breakin rockers,the small dart heads dont leave much room for anything,when i ordered valves i got 0.050 longer on the intake by mistake so took a bit of work with pushrods and lash caps but all good now.
Randy been giving me some advice as well which is much appreciated,the 987-16 valve spring did not come up to par so had to drop installed height by 0.050'' to get the spring rate close,going to fire motor and run cam in on tuesday,i want to drive it with the break in rockers on the street just to see how it runs with only 0.430'' valve lift,can i rev the engine with break in rockers or is there a chance it will float the valves early ???i am thinking it wont matter as the valve spring is set with 360lb/in spring rate so the rocker ratio should not matter ( spring open load - seat load / lift)
equals spring rate.but hey been wrong plenty times before :roll:
steve c
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I made full dyno pulls with them, several, on Special Needs.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

CGT wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:54 am I made full dyno pulls with them, several, on Special Needs.
good stuff thanks C H A D
steve c
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Resized_20181204_202322.jpg
Pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

CGT wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:40 am Resized_20181204_202322.jpg
Pic
Nice, I bet that puller set put you back a few bucks. LOL Sorry, I could not help myself.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

FC-Pilot wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:57 am
CGT wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:40 am Resized_20181204_202322.jpg
Pic
Nice, I bet that puller set put you back a few bucks. LOL Sorry, I could not help myself.

Paul
Whatever it cost it wasnt worth it lol.....junk